Audiobooks discussion

Technical stuff > Using Audible app to play other audiobooks?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lizfm (new)

Lizfm | 7 comments I really, really like the Audible app interface on my iPhone. I also like that it will track how many hours you've listened to, which seems a bit silly, but there it is. I am really not fond of the Overdrive app. Mostly because it can't tell me how many hours are left in any given book, so I don't know how much listening I have to do before my loan expires (my local library only allows 2 weeks for Overdrive loans, which is sometimes a challenge for me).

I've heard from multiple people that they download Overdrive books into iTunes, and from there into their Audible app. That would be awesome.

I've gotten so far as to load audiobooks into iTunes, onto the device, and can 'see' them in the iTunes tab in the Audible app. But they won't download. :( I get Error 3002 - that I 'no longer own' the title. It plays fine on all other apps and the loan has not expired.

I tried chatting with 2 different Audible reps and both of them told me that "the Audible app can only play books that were purchased in Audible.com."

Is anyone here able to do this? Can you tell me how? The only thing I can think that *might* be the problem is that I'm no longer an active Audible subscriber.

My next best option is to use the "MP3 books" app, which seems to have the features I want. But I'd really rather have everything in Audible, if were possible.

Thanks
(I am brand new to Groups on Goodreads, so if this has been done to death I apologize. I searched but couldn't find a similar discussion)

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith | 748 comments Sorry I can't help with the Audible app, but when I download books into the Overdrive app it always tells me how much time is left in the book.

message 3: by Lizfm (new)

Lizfm | 7 comments Really? The time left in the whole book, or just that section of it? I'm on an iPhone and I just gives me time left in the section.

message 4: by Lizfm (new)

Lizfm | 7 comments Where do you see this? In my app (iPhone) it will tell me the time left in that section but not the book as a whole.

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith | 748 comments I don't use the app on my iPad or iPhone. I use it on a kindle fire and it always tells me how much time is left in the book.

message 6: by Lizfm (new)

Lizfm | 7 comments It's probably an iPhone thing. :/ There are a lot of iPhone things.

message 7: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 26 comments i have an android and it tells me how long I have left as a whole. one click does it by section, so I feel your pain. I like to know my hours too

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 1356 comments Brandy, I dont know if it works with OD books, but Smart Audiobook Player is perfect.

message 9: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 26 comments did you check your advanced settings? mine has an option to switch to whole book progress on over drive

message 10: by Lizfm (new)

Lizfm | 7 comments I can't find any advanced settings on my iPhone Overdrive app. I wonder if Overdrive's new 'Libby' app would be better. It's got god reviews

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna Robbins | 341 comments LIzfm, I listen on an iPhone 6 (ios 10.3.1) and I just confirmed that the iTunes tab still plays Overdrive books for me; not sure why it isn't working for you. Audible must still be supporting the iTunes tab as it's different than the last time I tried it - the speed controls seem to work now (although you still can't see chapter divisions).

I prefer to sync Overdrive books with iTunes, then listen with the third party app Bookmobile. It allows you to toggle the view between time remaining in the section vs time left in the book; I don't think it tracks total time listened though.

Smart Audiobook player is supposed to be terrific, but as far as I know, it's still not available for the iPhone.

I'm not sure whether the Overdrive App on the iPhone allows you to see the time remaining, and I can't download a book to test it now due to the July 4 maintenance on the Overdrive system; I don't see an option in settings though so it does sound like an iPhone thing.

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (QuiltsRMe) | 274 comments I have an older version of Audible app. There is a section where you have the option to select Cloud Device ITunes. Itunes selected will let you play many, but not all audio books not purchased from Audible. Books that don't work there, I play from a different app.