Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Ghost Brigades (Old Man's War, #2)
This topic is about The Ghost Brigades
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Ghost Brigades [Aug 2017]

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 5456 comments Mod
Start Date 8/5/17 if anyone wants to catch up!

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 941 comments Ah finally a group read on OMW. I am in.

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm really looking forward to it!! Chris is raving about it. :)

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments I LMAO for the first half of the first book, the second half still gets serious with less humor but still good. No down time in the story. I read it in two days and I felt happy when I finished. Probably the best book that I've read in a long time :-)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 941 comments Are you all plan to bingeread till finish? I have all books now.

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think I'm in it for a binge. A binge for me, anyway, which means I'll probably stagger it between other things.

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments I've already finished the first book, and I'm waiting for Niki to be done the first now, which is why we set the date in August because she's a busy girl when it comes to reading! But John became a favorite after this book, so I don't mind bine reading his stuff.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 941 comments Great! I just realized I have full schedule till...November. Oh my.
But my TBR will decrease quite significantly so that's a relief.

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments It's only reading though, we do it mainly to enjoy it, so don't push to hard!

message 10: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 37 comments I just finished Old Man's War and Questions for a Soldier, which I thought were great. I will definitely be part of this one for my first group read here. Looking forward to seeing everyone's opinions.

message 11: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (last edited Aug 01, 2017 12:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

John wrote: "I just finished Old Man's War and Questions for a Soldier, which I thought were great. I will definitely be part of this one for my first group read here. Looking forward to seeing everyone's opini..."

Nice! Welcome to the BR, John - we're looking forward to your thoughts as well. I somehow missed Questions for a Soldier, so if you need me, I'll be devouring that before this read starts haha.

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (NefariasBredd) | 643 comments I'm in. Just reread Old man's war a month or two ago. So good timing on this :)

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Sweet! The more, the merrier!

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Wohoo! 3 days and counting...

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Im looking forward to book 2. :)

message 16: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anne-Marie wrote: "Im looking forward to book 2. :)"

Me too, I'm glad you're joining us!:)

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Its my first time joining in on one of these, y'all need to go easy on me... 😉

message 18: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Deal haha. You'll be fine. :)

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Well I started this last night because I got the start day wrong...My bad😳 I've read to page 116.

This book took a little while longer than the original to get me interested, but not so long that I was bored. I love Scalzi's sense of humour as he ponders simple things like, "Hey, can I ask you a question?" The knife training scene was great too! I can't get enough of this book as I read it, I'll probably finish it in two days again since it's raining today. I was a little surprised and disappointed that we wouldn't be spending much time with John, but Anne reminded me that at the end of Old Man's War John is trying various different career choices that involve him not getting shot at, so it makes sense as a continuation of life while he's doing those things. It's still a great story so far, and is still making me laugh! Happy Reading guys!

I don't think there's anything in my blurb that is spoiler worthy, but if you think there is, I'll use the feature more! I try my best to be vague so that you can love the discovery of a new novel just as much as I do!

message 20: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "Well I started this last night because I got the start day wrong...My bad😳 I've read to page 116.

This book took a little while longer than the original to get me interested, but not so long that ..."

Haha you're going to be finished with the book before I even have a chance to start! I'm still on schedule to begin tomorrow.

I generally don't want any indication of what to expect (even in the vague sense, but I can totally tell you were trying to be careful), but I'm more touchy (weird) than most when it comes to that (I don't even read overviews). I'm really glad to hear your liking it, though, and that the humor is still prevalent!

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Waiting for Chris to finish it, then I'll read it. Since he's a third of the way through and had the kids all day, that should be tomorrow... so I'll be good to join the conversation.

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sweet :)

message 23: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 37 comments Chris wrote: "Well I started this last night because I got the start day wrong...My bad😳 I've read to page 116.

This book took a little while longer than the original to get me interested, but not so long that ..."

This is about where I am so far. It is a slower start than the first book, but I think Scalzi's sense of humor kept me interested more than I would have been otherwise.

message 24: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 37 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "John wrote: "I just finished Old Man's War and Questions for a Soldier, which I thought were great. I will definitely be part of this one for my first group read here. Looking forward to seeing eve..."

Questions for a Soldier was a good epilogue to the first book, but nothing really ground breaking. If you liked the character, it is a good addition.

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments John wrote: "Chris wrote: "Well I started this last night because I got the start day wrong...My bad😳 I've read to page 116.

This book took a little while longer than the original to get me interested, but not..."

Yeah that's a major reason why I'm reading him again. The first book was so good that it had me laughing at how people died. This book started off with a more serious tone, but I'm glad the humour is back once again! I'm also reading Prince of Fools at the same time, so all i did was laugh today! That makes it a good day😃

message 26: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 37 comments I just finished Part 1, and the book is much less funny. I don't know how to add spoiler tags, so I won't go in to specifics, but the mission they went on was probably the best part of the series so far.

message 27: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 37 comments I finished it this afternoon. Overall, I think it was not as good as the first one, but it was still an enjoyable read. I miss the first person narration of the first book, but overall this followed the same general outline and had a strong ending.

Ending spoilers:
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through Chapter 1 (busy weekend!) (view spoiler)

message 29: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

John wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "John wrote: "I just finished Old Man's War and Questions for a Soldier, which I thought were great. I will definitely be part of this one for my first group read here. Looking f..."

Good to know - I may pick it up eventually, but am glad I'm not missing anything critical.

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Through Chapter 3
[spoilers removed]"

I finished the book today! I'll let you know my thoughts when you're done. I think Anne started it today.

Anne-Marie | 48 comments Just started now. Chris finally let me have the copy.

message 33: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (NefariasBredd) | 643 comments And. I just started last night. Got caught up finishing things that were due back at the library. So I'm literally on page 16. Fortunately Scalzi books fly! I'll catch up a lot over lunch :)

message 34: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Through Chapter 3
[spoilers removed]"

I finished the book today! I'll let you know my thoughts when you're done. I think Anne started it today."

cool :)

message 35: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm glad I'm not reading it alone haha. Through Ch 5 (view spoiler)

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through Chapter 10, and I have a few thougths:
(view spoiler)
How's the book going for everyone else? :)

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Through Chapter 10, and I have a few thougths:
am I the only one having a difficult time visualizing the aliens? I know he described them when he first introduced them, but I have to say I would'v..."

I agree with all of your points (It's like we're besties! Hahaha....ahh, I slapped myself after that comment...).

(view spoiler).

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Through Chapter 10, and I have a few thougths:
am I the only one having a difficult time visualizing the aliens? I know he described them when he first introduced them, but I h..."

Hahaha, we get along, you and I: BESTIES!

(view spoiler)

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Through Chapter 10, and I have a few thougths:
am I the only one having a difficult time visualizing the aliens? I know he described them when he first introduced..."

I've already got it on my kitchen table. I took both out from the library!

message 40: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Through Chapter 10, and I have a few thougths:
am I the only one having a difficult time visualizing the aliens? I know he described them when..."

Sweet!!!!!

message 41: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

I finished the book, and while it was definitely different from the first book, it had a lot of elements I liked. I'm really looking forward to continuing the series! :) (view spoiler)

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "I finished the book, and while it was definitely different from the first book, it had a lot of elements I liked. I'm really looking forward to continuing the series! :) [spoilers removed]"

My thought on the specific elements of the book:

(view spoiler)

Was it entertaining? Sure. Was it better than the first one? HELLS NO! Will I read the next one? Yes because I'm hoping the presence of John again will bring back the humour element.

(view spoiler).

Anyways, that's my thoughts on number 2, and 3's on my kitchen table! So whenever you're ready, but it should be soon because it's a library book!

message 43: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (last edited Aug 11, 2017 02:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I finished the book, and while it was definitely different from the first book, it had a lot of elements I liked. I'm really looking forward to continuing the series! :) [spoile..."

You bring up a ton of really good points! (view spoiler)

message 44: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (last edited Aug 11, 2017 02:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I finished the book, and while it was definitely different from the first book, it had a lot of elements I liked. I'm really looking forward to continuing the series! :) [spoile..."

I'm booked with ::sobs:: go ahead and pick it up without me (unless others on this thread want to set up a buddy read for book 3). I have a BR now, on the 15, on the 20, and a library book of my own I need to get to so I wouldn't be able to pick it up until around the 25th - 30th. That's over two weeks away!

I'm not usually this overbooked. This month was an anomaly of good BRs lol

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments I would like to read it now only because I'm hopefully moving soon. However, I have a TONNE of books to read right now as well. I can wait if you want to set the next one up as a group read as well. If it happens during move time, I'll just check the library there.

Chris (Murphy44) | 703 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Chris wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "I finished the book, and while it was definitely different from the first book, it had a lot of elements I liked. I'm really looking forward to continuing the seri..."

It was a dramatic story, but with a little more character development it could have been great. As is, it was alright. John comes back in the next book enjoying the retired life with Sagan and the kid there. So hopefully some of the humour comes back!

message 47: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (NefariasBredd) | 643 comments Finally finished last night. (meant to finish before I went away on vacation so I could settle in the Stormlight Archive).

Agreed, on many points. Spoiler free as much as possible.

Scalzi loves to explain concepts and the machinations of how things work - socially and scientifically. He definitely gets caught up in it. This is fine when you're actually geeking out about it as he is which I think we all very much were in Old Man's War. I enjoyed that aspect in this one as well.

I also didn't feel like the aliens were described like. I have nothing in my mind's eye when I think of any of the non-human species.

(view spoiler)

Characters - very 2-dimensional as already stated. I didn't feel connected to the characters in the book whereas in Old Man's War you couldn't help to be connected Perry and some of the others.

So overall - enjoyable and had some twists, particularly the ending, but not as good as the first. I definitely read the next one.

message 48: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris wrote: "I would like to read it now only because I'm hopefully moving soon. However, I have a TONNE of books to read right now as well. I can wait if you want to set the next one up as a group read as well..."

I'll set the date and lmk if you (or anyone who wants to join) have any change requests. :)

message 49: by Niki Hawkes, Salt Lake Siren (new) - rated it 3 stars

Robert wrote: "Finally finished last night. (meant to finish before I went away on vacation so I could settle in the Stormlight Archive).

Scalzi loves t..."

I think we agree on all the things. I'm especially glad I'm not the only one who can't picture the aliens. I've been reading a lot of Czerneda lately, who has AWESOME alien profiles, so Scalzi's definitely pale by comparison (in execution, not concept).

(view spoiler)

message 50: by John (new) - rated it 3 stars

John | 37 comments Robert wrote: "Finally finished last night. (meant to finish before I went away on vacation so I could settle in the Stormlight Archive).

Scalzi loves t..."

I think this sums up most of my feelings too. Sagan feels pretty one dimensional compared to Perry in the first book, though maybe this is intentional since her background / upbringing is one dimensional.

I read The Sagan Diaries as well, and it was pretty awful. I think these .5 books have been pretty underwhelming, and this one is just bad.

I'm in for the third book when it's time, and hopefully I can finish it in time to start WOR on time in September.

« previous 1