Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

ClareMarie
This topic is about ClareMarie
Book Issues > Multiple books

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments Hey, I added two books recently but somehow they were added again with covers that aren't the final ones. How do I delete two of them and upload the final covers?

Thanks 😀

message 2: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4279 comments ClareMarie wrote: "Hey, I added two books recently but somehow they were added again with covers that aren't the final ones. How do I delete two of them and upload the final covers?

Thanks 😀"

Links to the books in question are helpful to start.

message 4: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 28, 2017 03:55PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4279 comments ClareMarie wrote: "OMG I'm so sorry haha. I'm juggling SO much.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3..."

Thanks, I think I figured it out in the meantime.

I queued the duplicate empty editions for merging (so they'll disappear in a little bit), and also created a series here https://www.goodreads.com/series/2096.... The covers that were uploaded (by a bot) state that the covers aren't final, so once you have final covers ready, you can post here requesting that they be switched out.

message 5: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments I have the finial covers here now if you can upload them for me?

message 6: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4279 comments ClareMarie wrote: "I have the finial covers here now if you can upload them for me?"

Sure- you can link them here if that works for you, or upload them to your profile; let me know if you decide to do that. If I don't get them tonight, I'll get them in the morning (unless someone gets to them first). Thanks!

message 7: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments I added them on my page. 😀

☕ Lachgas ♿  (Lachgas) | 4901 comments I replaced them already.

message 9: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments Thank you 😀

message 10: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments Do you know why multiple books were added?

message 11: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 29, 2017 05:12AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4279 comments Lachgas wrote: "I replaced them already."

Thanks, Lachgas!

ClareMarie wrote: "Do you know why multiple books were added?"

The books that you added were basically placeholders, with no identifying details added, namely the ISBNs. Because there were no ISBNs for those editions, that allowed an import bot to import the more complete book records that included the ISBN; those are the ones that are there now. The only way to prevent this is for you (or someone) to add the ISBNs before they get imported. I hope this makes sense to you!

message 12: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments So in future I don't need to add the books myself? Import bot will automatically add them for me??

message 13: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4279 comments ClareMarie wrote: "So in future I don't need to add the books myself? Import bot will automatically add them for me??"

I can't guarantee that, but it's likely? Smashwords/onix ingraham/Amazon import regularly, but I can't tell you if there's any rhyme or reason to it. You wouldn't know for sure when/if they'll be imported, so if you wanted something up for sure in advance of publication you could just add it yourself, and post in a new thread later if you needed any identifying details added (cover image, ISBN, etc.), or editions merged (like we did yesterday). Clear as mud? :)

message 14: by ClareMarie (new)

ClareMarie (ClareMarieAuthor) | 19 comments Yeah thanks 😀