HPL Reads Book Club discussion

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Houston (new)

Houston Library (HPLReadsOnlineBookClub) | 78 comments Mod
To get us started, let's think about Lucy's husband. When he asked her mother to visit her in the hospital and then paid for her trip, do you think that was an act of love on his part? Or was there any other motivation?

message 2: by Raeann (new)

Raeann | 18 comments I thought it was a way for him to get out of going. It seems their relationship / marriage is just a thin shell, and he has an alleged fear of hospitals (do many people enjoy going to them??). I am a third of the way through the book, so I am sure I have a lot more to learn about the characters and relationships. I am glad her mom showed up and is there and am interested to see how her marriage may be revealed more in depth as I cannot fathom my husband not visiting me in the hospital, not bringing my kids to visit and my mom and husband not being able to be there together.... let us see....

message 3: by Nicoleta (new)

Nicoleta | 6 comments I am at page 60 only
I would like to belive is love but so far not much written about the relationship with the husband except for the fear of hospitals because his father died in one...
He was taking care of the house and children i guess he imagined his wife must be feeling very lonely

message 4: by Gaye (new)

Gaye Weintraub | 5 comments I think the husband doesn't want to be bothered, so he got Lucy's mother to go instead. The characters - and the entire book - are horribly underdeveloped and so thin, it's hard to tell anyone's motivations.

message 5: by Mely (new)

Mely (mneg) | 0 comments I just finished the book. Who knows what his motivation was as I partly agree with Gaye. I don't think he realized the how much strained the relationship was for Lucy and her mother. We don't know if she is seriously ill in the beginning so maybe he was just trying to reunite them out of the goodness of his heart.

message 6: by Lee-Taylor (new)

Lee-Taylor (leetaylore) | 1 comments I think he did not want to deal with Lucy and having her mother there was a way to have him get out of going to visit and to make himself feel better he paid for his MIL's travels. I found all the characters were underdeveloped and as Gayle mentioned above because of this it is hard to tell anyone's motivations.