HCPL's Online Book Club discussion

June Theme: Jane Austen > June Theme: Jane Austen

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bessie, County Librarian (new)

Bessie Sullivan  (LibraryBabe) | 194 comments Mod
Which one will you read in June?

message 2: by Bessie, County Librarian (last edited Jun 28, 2017 09:23AM) (new)

Bessie Sullivan  (LibraryBabe) | 194 comments Mod
At first I wasn't a fan of remaking, adapting, or using Jane Austen as a plot device. Especially when one author, who shall remain nameless, actually misspelled the iconic authors last name. But they started to grow on me. I have read Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice by Curtis Sittenfeld that is actually very clever. I have also read Longbourn by Jo Baker. It tells a good story of the servants in the house and their lives, but doesn't really need to be based on the Bennett sisters' home to tell the tale.

message 3: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 33 comments Mod
I read The Jane Austen Project by Kathleen Flynn, which was published in 2017. In "The Jane Austen Project", two scientists from the future time travel back to 1815 to steal an unpublished manuscript from Jane Austen. The female scientist, Rachel, struggles to conform to societal roles of the time as her male colleague Liam takes the lead role, and a romance blossoms between the two. I found it to be an entertaining story, a fast-paced and enjoyable read, that seems true to the era depicted.

message 4: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 33 comments Mod
The in-person Minden Library Book Club has started following the same topic each month as our online book club (just with different titles). Some of the favourite books of our members this month included Mr. Darcy Presents His Bride: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Eligible: A Modern Retelling of Pride and Prejudice, and Reader, I Married Him: Stories Inspired by Jane Eyre.