Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Summer Reading Program > [2017] Week 2 - Staff Picks - July 10-16

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (last edited Jun 28, 2017 08:49AM) (new)

Julia PM | 26 comments Mod
For week 2 of the summer reading program, we'd like to invite you to discuss a book that you read that was either found on the 2016 staff picks list, picked up from a Staff Pick's display at your local library branch, or recommended by one of the friendly staff people at your local branch!

You can also feel free to email your local branch to receive a recommendation as well!

Here are the titles that appeared on the 2016 APL staff picks list:

Fiction:

Knight of the 7 Kingdoms by George R. R. Martin (Recommended by Danielle C.)

Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo (Recommended by Connie G.)

The Cuckoo’s Calling by Robert Galbraith (Recommended by Alex B.)

Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (Recommended by Meghan W.)

Fates & Furies by Lauren Groff (Recommended by Tim F.)

Fool’s Assassin by Robin Hobb (Recommended by Veronica T.)

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (Recommended by Alex B.)

Jaws by Peter Benchley (Recommended by Sarah C.)

Last Bus to Wisdom by Ivan Doig (Recommended by John E.)

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (Recommended by Scott J.)

Mothering Sunday: A Romance by Graham Swift (Recommended by Mary C.)

My Antonia by Willa Cather (Recommended by Laura C.)

Number One Ladies’ Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
(Recommended by Diane E.)
O Pioneers! by Willa Cather (Recommended by Susan G.)

Passing by Nella Larsen (Recommended by Claudia M.)

Postcards by E. Annie Proulx (Recommended by Cindee H.)

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson (Recommended by Bob W.)

The Book of Speculation by Erika Swyler (Recommended by Meg M.)

The Children: A Novel by Ann Leary (Recommended by Connie G.)

The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood (Recommended by Dana W.)

The Midwife of Hope River by Patricia Harman (Recommended by Kevin C.)
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver (Recommended by Susan G.)

The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson (Recommended by Mary C.)

Tiny Little Thing by Beatriz Williams (Recommended by Connie G.)

Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty (Recommended by Katie F. & Meg )

message 2: by Julia (new)

Non-Fiction:

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (Recommended by Krista R.)

American Girls: Social Media & the Secret Lives of
Teenagers by Nancy Jo Sales (Recommended by Katie K.)

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen (Recommended by Mary C.)

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson (Recommended by Bob R.)

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker & the
Rise & Fall of the Comanches by S.C. Gwynne
(Recommended by Jen W.)

Heart in the Right Place by Carolyn Jourdan
Recommended by Susan G.
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson (Recommended by Lauren C.)

Overwhelmed: Work, Love, & Play When No One
Has the Time by Brigid Schulte (Recommended by Melanie M.)

Play Anything: The Pleasure of Limits, the Uses of
Boredom, & the Secret of Games by Ian Bogost (Recommended by Luke M.)

Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest
Challenges by Amy Cuddy (Recommended by Meg M.)

Rise of the Rocket Girls: The Women Who Propelled Us
by Nathalia Holt (Recommended by Laurie L.)

The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu by Joshua Hammer
(Recommended by Jendy M.)

The Big Picture by Sean M. Carroll (Recommended by Nolan D.)

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi (Recommended by Laurie D.)

message 3: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aabdul) | 39 comments I'm so glad Passing was on the list since it was on my TBR pile, so I just read it and put it on the bookshelf (I'm hoping in the right spot!)

And though I read When Breath Becomes Air several months ago, I'll second the recommendation for anyone on the fence about reading it.

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusanDE) | 38 comments A Walk in the Wood is so funny. It spoiled me for all other Appalachian Trail books, and I can't even finish other books on this topic.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusanDE) | 38 comments Alicia wrote: "I'm so glad Passing was on the list since it was on my TBR pile, so I just read it and put it on the bookshelf (I'm hoping in the right spot!)

"
TWO recommendations, so I just put this on my list. Unfortunately, only two copies in the system, so we'll see when I get it.

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 36 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "A Walk in the Wood is so funny. It spoiled me for all other Appalachian Trail books, and I can't even finish other books on this topic."

Susan, if you liked that one, I would highly recommend Bill Bryson's other travel books, if you haven't read them already. A library patron told me her favorite was In a Sunburned Country, about his travels in Australia. I read it and really enjoyed it!

message 7: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 54 comments Just want to confirm we don't need to wait until week #2 to start our week #2 book... I finished my beach read this morning but haven't officially marked it as read because I want to wait until I've got time to write up a review tonight...

message 8: by Lauren (new)

Mirkat wrote: "Just want to confirm we don't need to wait until week #2 to start our week #2 book... I finished my beach read this morning but haven't officially marked it as read because I want to wait until I'v..."

Hi Mirkat,

That's right-- go ahead and start it!

message 9: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 54 comments Yay! :)

message 10: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rnunn2302) I'll be reading knight of the seven kingdoms by George R. R. Martin

message 12: by Jen (new)

Jen (irisira) | 6 comments Seveneves is terrific but it is definitely not an easy book to finish in a week!

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (Tetchy) | 11 comments I just picked up Jaws! 💚

message 14: by Lauren (new)

Jen wrote: "Seveneves is terrific but it is definitely not an easy book to finish in a week!"

Hi Jen,

You don't actually have to finish the book within the week, so there's no pressure :)

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen (irisira) | 6 comments Lauren, I know! It is really really good! I actually finished it more quickly than I was expecting given the length because it's such a great story!

message 16: by Ali (new)

Ali | 5 comments I finished Everything, Everything and Up In A Treehouse.

message 17: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 6 comments I am starting tsukuru tazaki's /Colorless/. It wasn't on this list, but on the staff picks at my branch.

message 18: by Julia (new)

Ali wrote: "I finished Everything, Everything and Up In A Treehouse."

Awesome Ali! What did you think of these books?

message 19: by Mirkat (last edited Jul 13, 2017 07:33PM) (new)

Mirkat | 54 comments Kendra wrote: "I am starting tsukuru tazaki's /Colorless/. It wasn't on this list, but on the staff picks at my branch."

Do you mean Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage ? It's lovely. I adore Haruki Murakami. :)

message 20: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 6 comments Mirkat wrote: "Kendra wrote: "I am starting tsukuru tazaki's /Colorless/. It wasn't on this list, but on the staff picks at my branch."

Do you mean [book:Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage|1928..."

Yes! Sorry - I had only looked at the title briefly at the time. It was not something I would have chosen immediately on my own, but was enjoyable and mind-stretching. It's amazing how a novelist can make you eagerly want to know what happens with characters you couldn't conjure before cracking that spine.

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan (SusanDE) | 38 comments Alicia wrote: "I'm so glad Passing was on the list since it was on my TBR pile, so I just read it and put it on the bookshelf (I'm hoping in the right spot!) ." Just finished Passing Didn't realize that my daughter read it in Ms. Contreras's Black and Women Writers class. Slim volume with lots to think about.

message 22: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (aabdul) | 39 comments Susan wrote: "Alicia wrote: "I'm so glad Passing was on the list since it was on my TBR pile, so I just read it and put it on the bookshelf (I'm hoping in the right spot!) ." Just finished [book:Pa..."

Yes, I had never read it and the 10th graders also do a classics unit and that's usually on the choices list, so between that and Orly's 12th grade class, I knew I had to read it so it was the perfect opportunity. It also makes me appreciate language use and how our communication skills have changed so drastically in large part due to technology. Such rich descriptions and emotion!

message 23: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 54 comments Kendra, I definitely encourage you to explore more of Murakami's books. He's got this great knack for creating characters and worlds you can't stop thinking about, so you have a massive "book" hangover afterward (but in a good way).

message 24: by Rich (new)

Rich Pearson-strain | 13 comments I read Kim Stanley Robinson's "2140" which was recommended by the Main Library. Overall, I've enjoyed his previous books, but this one fell a little flat for me. He explored some great topics, especially as it pertains to the raise of sea levels and what it will mean to our major coastal cities, delving into some quirky ways this will affect humanity some 120+ years from now. However, compared to what I've seen him write, I was a little underwhelm and expecting more.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.