Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

The No Meat Athlete Cookbook: Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Fuel Your Workouts—and the Rest of Your Life
This topic is about The No Meat Athlete Cookbook
Vegan Cookbooks > The No-Meat Athlete Cookbook

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LJean (last edited Jun 27, 2017 07:24PM) (new)

LJean | 24 comments I made two of the burger recipes to freeze for emergency meals -- Thanksgiving Burgers and Naked Samosa Burgers. I think the former will be pretty good served with gravy and cranberry sauce rather than in a roll with tomato and mustard as shown in the book. For the latter, I got lazy and went by the book even though I knew I should use something more appropriate for a Punjabi-style samosa than the seasonings in the recipe. I'm debating whether I should bother saving these.

I also made the Garlicky Rosemary Potato Soup. It's pretty good, but nothing creative; potatoes, beans, celery, onion, garlic, and rosemary with a little cashew cream added at the end. I think I'm going to steam a few carrots that I want to use up and add them to it, just to give it a little color.

message 2: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Sounds good. I haven't had much luck with vegan burgers and tend to shy away from them. They are usually too mushy, too dry, and fall apart.

message 3: by LJean (last edited Jun 28, 2017 05:53PM) (new)

LJean | 24 comments I'm not crazy about them either, but I like to keep a few types in the freezer for the days when I'd resort to greasy takeout otherwise. I find that forming them on a baking sheet, on a piece of parchment, then baking at a low temperature with convection helps a lot with the mushiness and falling apart. I basically just dehydrate them into submission, but I prefer that to mushiness.

I don't think I've ever made a veggie burger than didn't fall apart when I've tried to flip it in a frying pan.

message 4: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Harissa baked tofu - Loved this. Nice blend of harissa and tomatoes and baked tofu. Served with whole wheat couscous.

message 5: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Pistachio crusted tofu - Very nice flavor, but a little dry. Held together nicely.

The tomatoes are slow roasted (two hours) tomatoes that I made as a side. My first time making roasted tomatoes this way and they came out a bit salty and I thought I salted it lightly. Guess when the juices dissolve it gets salty.

message 6: by Susan (last edited Jul 18, 2017 04:46PM) (new)

Susan Laverty | 49 comments I made the Provençal Potato Gratin. It was kind of bland. I didn't have kalamata olives, so I used black. I also used dried thyme, not fresh. So I'm not a stickler for following recipes. Anyway, probably won't make this again.

Also, last week I made the Pickled Onions and that was a lot of onions! They were okay, easy to eat and use as a topper, but doubt I'll make more. I could see where kids might like them; they look like pink worms!

I was pretty excited about this book, and I do like the lay out and photos, but so far I'm underwhelmed with the recipes😕

message 7: by Don (new)

Don (Bayfrontguy) Pina colada almond butter - It was o.k. but nothing all that good. I used fresh pineapple instead of dried because I had some on hand, it also has coconut milk and coconut flakes. I served on celery sticks, alongside some fruit for a late night snack. Very easy to put together.