BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived (2017) > New category 2018: Best Debut Novel

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sfreviewsnet) | 44 comments Mod
Hey everyone, Thomas here. So all us judges got together in a little huddle and, among all the discussions we've had, weighing your suggestions for Year 4 (no we will not feature Sam U. in gladiatorial combat against giant spiders, that's just mean), we have unanimously decided to add Best Debut Novel as a new category.

This will allow the awards to recognize promising new talent and give fans an opportunity to broaden their reading experience with new discoveries. It will also be at least one category we know won't end up with Brandon Sanderson all over it. (WINK EMOJI)

For those of you who want to get a head-start on your TBR's, I'm opening this thread with some qualifying 2017 debut releases. Some of these are already out and others are forthcoming. This isn't exhaustive, and anyone can contribute their own recommendations (take care to confirm it's a debut though). Also, this category can include both adult and YA titles.

Let's let this thread be for listing titles only, please, not for debates over the merits or lack thereof of a particular entry. We can of course write our own reviews in our own spaces, but here, let's just let people discover and make their own choices.

Amberlough, Lara Elena Donnelly
Autonomous, Annalee Newitz
Barbary Station, R.E. Stearns
The Bear and the Nightingale, Katherine Arden
The Black Tides of Heaven and The Red Threads of Fortune by JY Yang (these are two short novels being released simultaneously by Tor.com, so one or the other could qualify)
Blackwing, Ed McDonald
The City of Brass, S.A. Chakraborty
Crossroads of Canopy, Thoraiya Dyer
The Empire's Ghost, Isabella Steiger
Empress of a Thousand Skies, Rhoda Bellezza
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo, F.C. Yee
Gilded Cage, Vic James
The Guns Above, Robyn Bennis
Hold Back the Stars, Katie Khan
Hunger Makes the Wolf, Alex Wells
Kings of the Wyld, Nicholas Eames
Noumenon, Marina J. Lostetter
The Rebellion's Last Traitor, Nik Korpon
Poison's Kiss, Breeana Shields
The Prey of Gods, Nicky Dreyden
The Space Between the Stars, Anne Corlett
The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter, Theodora Goss
The Tiger's Daughter, K. Arsenault Rivera
The Waking Land, Callie Bates
Winter Tide, Ruthanna Emrys

More to come...

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (AllBookedUpBlog) | 44 comments This is a great idea! I also really appreciate the possible TBR. That will help to stay a little a head of what's coming next year. Thanks!

message 3: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 42 comments Yay I'm really excited about this category!

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thanks for doing that work, Anna.

message 6: by Cheyenne (new)

Cheyenne | 6 comments I am so excited about this category! I am making it a priority to read some of these debut novels so I can be more informed when it comes to nomination time.

message 7: by Shi (new)

Shi Reads (NerdBeauty) | 1 comments Quick question which may be relatively irrelevant since I don't have any author/title in mind. Does debut novel in this case mean strictly first published novel or can we include authors who have been previously published but are releasing their first SFF piece?

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Shi wrote: "Quick question which may be relatively irrelevant since I don't have any author/title in mind. Does debut novel in this case mean strictly first published novel or can we include authors who have b..."

I think for the sake of reducing confusion, we should make it a strict "first novel period" rule, though they could easily be authors who have published short fiction before.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.