Eco-fiction discussion

A forum that goes beyond this platform on Goodreads

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (last edited Jun 27, 2017 11:06AM) (new)

Robert Zwilling | 65 comments A forum that goes beyond this platform on Goodreads.

Goodreads has no real search capabilities and apparently never will. The site is a public warehouse for cataloging books and reviews, the work all done for free, and the use of which is not for finding information beyond the book title and author name. Genre is next to useless for a lot of topics. For instance, Eco fiction brings up no results. Ecology brings up 787 books that can be anything.

There are 900 members in the goodreads Green Group, but only a few of them post messages. I would suspect that some of the members joined the group to post an announcement about a book they are marketing. Most goodreads discussions are directly related to popular books and nothing else because it is a site about reading popular books, not writing them, not marketing them, or reviewing them to get new books on the map.

The google site, Ecology in Literature and the Arts has thousands of articles on it, but there is no sense of organization. In an effort keep all postings current, it looks like everything is on one page. Off of that page you can literally go in a million directions. You might go there looking for a specific subject, but you can easily spend hours reading about some very interesting subjects, none of which you were looking for at the time.

I have only looked at facebook ecology pages briefly. They contain millions of articles whose arrangement seemed to be directing you away from other articles and into single subject alleyways, littered with informative links.

It almost seems like the current arrangement of information on the web reinforces its own particular views, it excludes data that doesn't directly support what you are looking at. This keeps the whole picture fragmented and disorganized.

There is always something to do but nothing ever forms a continuous wave that keeps adding to itself. Everything is always digressing. Which probably accounts for the lack of progress that the world has seen in re-organizing our priorities because the world has been staged to make our existence at any cost our primary concern, making everything else secondary.

People praise the efforts of a company that makes plastic fiber clothing out of recycled plastic bottles. Plastic fiber clothing sheds micro plastic fibers that end up in the oceans, the dirt, as well in animals.

The recycled plastic bottle fibers shed more micro fibers than than the virgin plastic fiber clothing. The company plans on expanding it's recycled plastic fiber production by 30 percent. I would think the recycled fiber is probably cheaper to make. I would also think the company should be congratulated only if they were adding more natural fiber to their output, not more micro fiber shedding plastic fibers.

Near the top of the google Ecology in Literature and the Arts page, there is a small article, with a link, where the author is asking if anyone else has noticed that in order to make an ecology book popular, it has to be about people, the nature aspect has to be a backdrop to the whole story, when in reality, the exact opposite is true. The land the characters are standing on is far more important than the people standing on that land.

message 2: by Virginia (last edited Jun 28, 2017 02:31PM) (new)

Virginia Arthur | 99 comments What you are saying, I think, is when everybody can contribute, it becomes a jumbled mess, literary speaking and refuse speaking. The human primate is a jumbled mess. A sad, self-important, stubborn, arrogant jumbled mess and our websites, this site, our "groups" reflect this. It is this very reason I cannot stand Facebook. It is a mess. I do not find it a pleasureable experience and it blows my mind that Zuckerbutt has done nothing to change what is now a tedious and user-hostile format. In other words, it is a jumbled mess. If you like scavenger hunts, then you will be in heaven. If you value your time in this life, off this damn computer, then you avoid Facebook and the rest of them, and reclaim your life by lying in a tent at 10,000 feet in the pinon's where two wind Gods fight it out above your tent. This is far more elevating an experience. Enriches your life far more.

You missed the comment re: ecology book popular--the person was saying, and this is backed up by data Robert, that ecology books that are/involve people sell more than those that do not. Again, reflecting the self-interested arrogance of the human primate. The human primate loves itself. Everything is about the human primate so it makes sense that ecology books centered around a human primate sell more than the same book without them.

message 3: by Robert (last edited Jun 28, 2017 02:56PM) (new)

Robert Zwilling | 65 comments If you like scavenger hunts, --- Perfect

Scavenging for information has replaced dialing for dollars, once a popular pastime.

message 4: by Annis (new)

Annis Pratt | 8 comments A couple of years ago I decided I was at bat with two outs in my ninth inning (I m now 80) and needed to focus on ONE environmental issue I chose to work with citizensclimatelobby.org as they have one specific bill they want passed and local chapters that prepare you to lobby your National Senators and Representatives.
It is heartening to get results that will move the U.S. toward environmental good even with the present administration. Our chapter, for example, after three years of lobbying, persuaded our Republican Member of Congress to join the Climate Solutions Caucus in the House of Representatives along with thirty other Democrats and Republicans evenly divided in an effective Bi-Partisan voting block.
Not nothing!
Annis Pratt

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Zwilling | 65 comments That sounds good

message 6: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Lichen (PatriciaKLichen) | 16 comments Mod
Congratulations, Annis! Your win is a win for all of us!