Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenges > July & August Challenge ~ Vacation Crime

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 2597 comments Mod
I'm trying to be a little broader in my challenges so people have more choices. I'll also try to explain better what I want. If you don't understand post the question here and I'll answer it.

Also since July is 4 days away, I'm going to have this run for two months.

By "Vacation Crime", I mean either: crime committed while on vacation - for instance: person or people go on vacation and become crime victims. Crimes committed in a 'Vacation Spot', Bahamas, Florida, Hawaii, Mexico - anyplace that is a popular destination for people going on vacation.

For the non-americans you might refer to this as 'holiday'.

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments Shoot. I just got through re-reading a favorite one of those, And the Sea Will Tell. I'm pretty sure I don't have another one on hand. Titles?

I am also morally certain we don't have a separate shelf for this subject.

message 4: by Rita (new)

Rita (CrimeSleuthJunkie) | 825 comments Fishface wrote: "Wait, it's coming to me --

...accessing...

Murder in Paradise
Aruba: The Tragic Untold Story of Natalee Holloway and Corruption in Paradise
[book:Who Named the Knif..."

Thanks for listing these Fishface as I just added them on to my wishlist/new order. BINGO....I hit the jackpot!!!

message 5: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I knew you would come through for me. As for me, I just got my June challenge book from the library.

message 6: by Hari (last edited Jun 27, 2017 04:44PM) (new)

Hari Brandl (CrochetBuddies) | 298 comments I've chosen "And the Sea will Tell" by Vincent Bugliosi. I saw a documentary about this case on Forensic Files, I think. quite a while ago and was intrigued, and Vincent Bugliosi is a very good author of true crime. AND, it's available from from both of the library systems I use (abuse).
Now I want to start the July/August challenge today!

message 7: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments Score! My next TC I was planning takes place in Florida.

message 8: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (CrochetBuddies) | 298 comments Koren wrote: "Score! My next TC I was planning takes place in Florida."

Do you mean you are writing a true crime book about a crime that took place in Florida?

message 10: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Koren wrote: "Score! My next TC I was planning takes place in Florida."

Or planning a heist ?

message 11: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (CrochetBuddies) | 298 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Koren wrote: "Score! My next TC I was planning takes place in Florida."

Or planning a heist ?"

That's probably more like it...

message 12: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments Hari wrote: "Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Koren wrote: "Score! My next TC I was planning takes place in Florida."

Or planning a heist ?"

That's probably more like it..."

Hmmm, interesting concept. I may have to take that into consideration. Actually, what I meant was...my next TC book I am planning to read is... Homicide Miami: The Millionaire Killers. I am actually planning a trip to Florida in October, so this seems appropriate.

message 13: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments Hari wrote: "I've chosen "And the Sea will Tell" by Vincent Bugliosi. I saw a documentary about this case on Forensic Files, I think. quite a while ago and was intrigued, and Vincent Bugliosi is a very good aut..."

I love that book!

message 14: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Maybe we should start a new discussion thread re possible topics for future challenges

message 15: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I wish I could transfer comments from one thread to another.

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "I wish I could transfer comments from one thread to another."

I see that you did copy and paste so I will delete my posts here. If Fishface deletes hers than this post will be back to its nice, pristine condition.

message 17: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments Homicide Miami: The Millionaire Killers by Peter Davidson
5 stars

Well-written true crime about a group of guys that were tied together through a fitness business in Miami and decided they could get rich by torturing wealthy people until they signed all their assets over to them and then killing them. They may have gotten away with it for a longer time if one of their victims hadn't lived to tell about it. And yet there is a plot twist where the police didn't believe this person and so more people died. It is unbelievable what these men did to their victims and not for the faint of heart.

message 18: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments The Crime Buff's Guide to Outlaw Pennsylvania by Ron Franscell
5 stars

If you like to travel to places where crimes have happened, all of the crime buff guides are very helpful. A lot of the places in the book are not open to the public so that might be a bit disappointing. Short ( a few paragraphs to a couple of pages long) articles of crimes that happened in the state of Pennsylvania. Some are well-known and some are not. A well-researched book about crimes in Pennsylvania from the 1700's to the present.

message 19: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments Pristination beam engaged!

message 20: by Fishface (last edited Jul 15, 2017 01:27PM) (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments I finally decided to take out American Murder Houses: A Coast-to-Coast Tour of the Most Notorious Houses of Homicide for the challenge, because Scrod knows those places become tourist destinations in themselves!

message 21: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments It finally dawned on me that I have a suitable book that's been staring me in the face, literally, for years: Life: The Man Who Kidnapped Barbara Mackle. It's an autobiography with about half of the book devoted to the bizarre Florida kidnapping of heiress Barbara Jane Mackle.

I have to say this guy has led a VERY interesting life. I had no clue that he started working at age 13 on an Alaskan fishing boat.

message 22: by Fishface (last edited Aug 02, 2017 02:24PM) (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments Life: The Man Who Kidnapped Barbara Mackle. Gary Krist
4 stars!

I wish I had read this much closer to 83 Hours Till Dawn, the victim's perspective on this same case. One always wonders what a criminal could possibly be thinking when setting out on a nutty caper like this; Gary Krist tells you his motives without leaving anything out. He's led a remarkable, interesting life but there is even more than that going on between his ears. This is an incredible portrait of how someone can be super-intelligent at the same time he's as dumb as a whole box of hammers. This book will spirit you away from the false options of "is he crazy or is he sociopathic"? Real life is more complex than that, and so is Gary Krist. Read this one! Not for readers with low vocabularies. Krist likes 25-cent words and compound sentences. He also told me a lot more about his sex life than I felt I needed to know. Even so, this book flew by for me.

Oh, and the author's life of crime started out in one favorite tourist destination -- Alaska -- and ended in Florida!

message 23: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments I would like to go on a cruise to Alaska someday so I'm going to use this book for the challenge:

Pilgrim's Wilderness: A True Story of Faith and Madness on the Alaska Frontier
4 stars

This book is similar to some books I have read about Mormon cults, but these people weren't Mormons. The father is an aging hippie (well, I guess all hippies are aging, aren't we!) who ends up taking his wife and 14 children to the forest in Alaska, which is actually a national park. He thinks he can do whatever he wants. He cuts down trees and finds a bulldozer so he can build roads and thumbs his nose at the government. But his downfall is how abusive he is to his family. They dress like they are in the pioneer days and if anyone goes against what he says there is hell to pay. While I would have liked the story to move along a little faster, it was interesting enough to keep my interest and I did want to keep going to see how it all turned out in the end.
Lots of history about the national park system in Alaska here and startling to realize how quickly a person or a business can come along and spoil the last of our pristine wilderness.

message 24: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I just remembered I do have a book about a crime that happened in Florida, but it was so boring I can't even remember the title.

message 25: by Fishface (last edited Aug 03, 2017 11:25AM) (new)

Fishface | 6614 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "I just remembered I do have a book about a crime that happened in Florida, but it was so boring I can't even remember the title."

Maybe you need to consider the vacation possibilities of Cincinnati or Salt Lake City.

message 26: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Fishface wrote: "Maybe you need to consider the vacation possibilities of Cincinnatti or Salt Lake City. "

Hmmm

IIRC it was about smuggling but the author spent so much time about the area and why he moved there and his new neighbors ..... zzzzzzz

message 27: by Koren (new)

Koren  (Koren56) | 874 comments This is my second book that takes place in Florida:

A Knife in the Heart by Michael Benson
1 star

This was sooo boring I basically skimmed half of the book. There are so many players it is hard to keep them all straight. A young girl gets stabbed over a boy. They know right away who did it so half the book is the investigation and the other half is word for word court room drama that is basically a repetition of the investigation. Very little background information on any of the kids. If you read the first few chapters you pretty much will know everything that happens in this book.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.