Historical Romance Book Club discussion

The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
This topic is about The Day of the Duchess
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR- The Day of The Duchess

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya, Lady in love (new) - rated it 4 stars

Priya (PriyaChennareddy) | 1001 comments Mod
Some of us are interested in buddy read of The Day of the Duchess. Anyone interested can join. Please use spoiler tags wherever necessary. See (some html is OK) for instructions. It would be nice if you could mention what chapter you are at, in your post. That way we can choose which spoiler to read.

Happy reading!

Joanna Loves Reading (JoannaLovesReading) | 1602 comments Mod
I am not sure when I can start but am looking forward to it!

Giselle Bradley (goodreadscombradleygiselle) | 172 comments I started last night. I'm on chapter 4. I honestly had NO idea what this book was about because I never read the blurb. So I was thrown by all the flashbacks for awhile. Especially since I'm listening to it. I'm sure they're in italics or something when written. But now that I understand what's going on I'm getting the hang of it better. I feel like this is going to be a really difficult read emotionally.

Denise Lima | 4 comments I'm on Chapter 21.

(view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 255 comments Up to Chapter 7.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. (view spoiler) But I'll keep reading on before I make any judgement.

message 6: by Priya, Lady in love (new) - rated it 4 stars

Denise wrote: "I'm on Chapter 21.

UGH. IT'S SO DIFFICULT TO SEE THOSO TWO HURTING EACH OTHER ALL THE TIME. Seriously, I really want them to be happy. Even Mal, whom I thought I would NEVER like, but then I kind..."

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Priya, Lady in love (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Up to Chapter 7.

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. [spoilers removed] But I'll keep reading on before I make any judgement."

Agree with you there but (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 255 comments Up to Chapter 15

The more I read the more I see that this story is (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 255 comments Finished. Here is the link to my review...

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I liked the previous book better, this one had me frustrated with all the angst that could have been avoided with being honest up front about their feelings. And it lacked the humour of A Scot in the Dark.. except for the cat, that was funny.

message 10: by Giselle (last edited Jul 11, 2017 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Giselle Bradley (goodreadscombradleygiselle) | 172 comments I didn't write a review but I did read the book and I pretty much agree with what Denise said about chapter 21. Overall I liked it and it's my favorite of the series. The sister's banter was so funny. But it didn't leave a huge impression on me. (perhaps because it read it all in one day but whatever)

message 11: by Mahak (new) - added it

Mahak | 53 comments I paused on ch#14
Too much pain & angst. First book by Sarah that I m not able to finish in one go. Will pick it later

message 12: by Halima (new) - added it

Halima | 25 comments I completed it 4 days ago and I loved it! No spoilers, but I will say it gets better.
Here is my review.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 123 comments Okay, ladies, this sounds intense and might just be what I want to read. Do I need to read the first two books before reading this one?

message 14: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 31 comments Kathy,

I don't think so, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Since some characters from previous books are mentioned.

message 15: by Halima (new) - added it

Halima | 25 comments Kathy wrote: "Okay, ladies, this sounds intense and might just be what I want to read. Do I need to read the first two books before reading this one?"

No. It can be read as a stand alone.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Golden | 123 comments Thanks to you both.

message 17: by Priya, Lady in love (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathy wrote: "Okay, ladies, this sounds intense and might just be what I want to read. Do I need to read the first two books before reading this one?"

You can read it as a stand alone, but I suggest you read the first chapter of The Rogue Not Taken. I think you would understand what Haven did to Sera better.

Late to the party, but I did start reading this last week. It's been slow going. I am not really getting into it.

message 19: by Priya, Lady in love (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joanna wrote: "Late to the party, but I did start reading this last week. It's been slow going. I am not really getting into it."

I read the previous two books just before the release of this one. I think that is the reason I picked it up immediately and finished it right away. I was eager to know how Haven was going to redeem himself.

That's what I did when I first started reading MacLean. It was right before Never Judge A Lady, and I got through them really quickly. I enjoyed the first in this series, but have struggled with this and the last. I may stay away until there's a decent backlog going forward. Good food for thought, thanks Priya!

I finished this last night. I can see why many really like it, and there were parts that I thought were really well done. Overall, though, it was just too much, too OTT. I want humor from a MacLean book. I think she was trying to make this the most heart wrenching book ever and went too far.