Forgotten Classics and Other Lesser Known Books (or No One Has Read this but Me!) discussion

The Statement of Stella Maberly
This topic is about The Statement of Stella Maberly
2017 Forgotten Books Selections > 7/17 The Statement of Stella Maberly (Whole Book - Spoilers Welcome)

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jul 13, 2017 10:00AM) (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 722 comments This thread is for discussion of the whole book and any discussions or questions you want to raise.

So you've finished. Is Stella delusional, insane or is Evelyn possessed by a demon?

Mindy Jones (Mindyrecycles) | 15 comments Y'all, I've finished the book. I had the print from my library but it is very old and fragile so I actually read it on my Kindle. At the end, there were some really long appendices, and I read them all, trying to understand what they had to do with the main story. I should have read the introduction because they don't and aren't intended to complete or clarify the story.

I liked the book very much as it stood on its own and the end notes didn't do anything for me. If you read them and found them enlightening, please do share. I might change my mind.

For me, the story worked as a straight up demon-possession story. I didn't get the impression that the narrator was insane, but again, I'm open to ideas to the contrary.

message 3: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (Bookwithcat) | 113 comments I'm with Mindy. The demon possession seemed legit (of I can put it that way). Good book. I plan to read other books of his, although I know they are a different type.

Dawn Podojil I finished reading this book last night. It became the book I could not put down. I was in process on 4 books and they were all set aside to finish this one. I think the author did a good job portraying the dual personality in Evelyn after her death/re-possession. The bi-polar and controlling personality came over very well. By the end of the book I was fully convinced that Evelyn had become possessed by another soul. Then on her second death the shape of the spirit was kind of spooky. The appendices are also full of additional stories of spirits.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 722 comments Dawn wrote: "I finished reading this book last night. It became the book I could not put down. I was in process on 4 books and they were all set aside to finish this one. I think the author did a good job portr..."

Fabulous!

Interesting that no one yet is buying the unreliable-narrator-because-she's-mentally-unstable alternative explanation.

carissa | 63 comments Finished today and completely enjoyed it.
Not overly challenging on any front. Well written and just vague enough to make you wonder at the end!
I'm not convinced Stella wasn't just an over-the-top rejected lover...well, except for the poor doggie. Yes, I do believe you'd have to be possessed to do that...but, we've only got Stella's pov, so...hm.
A keeper for October reads.

carissa | 63 comments Also, is the account about V M in the appendix a copy of a real document or more fakery?

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 722 comments carissa wrote: "Also, is the account about V M in the appendix a copy of a real document or more fakery?"

I believe it's an original creation of our author's.

message 9: by Luella (last edited Aug 09, 2017 09:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Luella | 120 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "I finished reading this book last night. It became the book I could not put down. I was in process on 4 books and they were all set aside to finish this one. I think the author did a good job portr..."

I am curious about the appendix you all mentioned. My library actually gave me an original first edition of the book which was in really good shape but it didn't have an appendix. I think I'd like to see it.

At the end I was kind of left thinking whether or not she really was possessed since Stella is clearly unstable herself. But because people of that century were interested in Spiritualism and the fact that he wrote Vice-Versa which is basically freaky Friday I think his intent was for it to be a demon possession story.

I thought I would read this a few chapters a day but it just grabbed me after chapter two and I had to know what happened.

I think it is interesting though that because Stella is mad she doesn't seem to understand Mr. Dallas' actions although she doesn't blame him for them.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (CarolBrani) | 722 comments Luella wrote: "Dawn wrote: "I finished reading this book last night. It became the book I could not put down. I was in process on 4 books and they were all set aside to finish this one. I think the author did a g..."

I have a kindle version. I haven't a clue how one shares a copy, but think I can share it with you if you like, so you can read the appendices. Definitely interesting. You raise another great point about Stella's interpretation or understanding , too.