The Blo/No Literary Alliance discussion

Arcadia by Lauren Groff > What do you think of Handy as a leader?

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenichenny) | 61 comments Mod
As a father? As a husband?

message 2: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Marie (LadyBumbleBee) | 7 comments I honestly think Handy wasn't ready for the life he created. I mean, when you do a bunch of drugs, you have a lot of ideas and some of them you can enact, and some you just can't. I think Handy had the right ideas, the right charisma to get them where they needed to be, but he didn't have the mindset and dedication to pull it off.
Personally, I think it was a scam so he could make lots of money and have a community of drug users. Or he really just wanted to be praised to boost his narcissistic ego. He would always leave under the pretense of making money, but would always leave the brunt of the work to the Arcadians left behind. Eventually, you can tell he grew bored of Arcadia and started becoming even more selfish with how the money was handled, restrictions on who came into Arcadia, women, etc.
Handy made it clear he didn't care for much else besides himself and it ultimately made him a horrible father. Again, I think that it wasn't necessarily the life he wanted so he tried to be as distant as he could be from the situation to ignore it.

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 8 comments I felt Handy's goals/ideals were more self serving than Abe & Hannah's. I think he was a charismatic leader who couldn't follow through on what was required to keep stability. He wanted to continue his own pursuits instead of serving the group needs. He started with drive & passion but then his attention turned to a different passion & others were left to do the hard work.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenichenny) | 61 comments Mod
I think the main problem was that Handy's Arcadia was very different from everyone else's. He kept saying over and over he wasn't the leader but then acted in every way the leader.

His not wanting to turn anyone away, regaurdless of their contribution to the group is what caused the downfall.

message 5: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Marie (LadyBumbleBee) | 7 comments Agreed! That's what I was trying to say in so many words lol so many thoughts against Handy! UGH!!!