Tucson Geek Girls Book Club discussion

First book for our book club

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theartisttraveler | 1 comments Mod
So I wanted to ask you all what book you all like to read first?

Give me some suggestion/ ideas. :)

We threw around the idea 1 book every 3 months. I think that's pretty reasonable. Which would take us to our first book review and discussion in Sept 1, 2017.

message 2: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette Mortensen | 3 comments Should we pick a genre first? That might help narrow things down since there are so many good books out there.

message 3: by Jubiliana (new)

Jubiliana | 2 comments I would opt for something short. I'll be traveling a lot and finishing my work, so I won't have time for something looong.

message 4: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette Mortensen | 3 comments Yeah I would be fine with something not too long like 300 pages. I have a few suggestions. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan, The Book Jumper by Mechthild Glaser, A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan, Zodiac by Romina Russell, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, Air Awakens by Elise Kova, Frost by KP Kozlowsky, The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes, The Angel Experiment by James Patterson, I just read The Hunger Games for the first time but I would totally read it again if that book interests anyone, Do any of these look interesting to anyone? I won't take offense if none of these seem interesting. I could look up some more. I have a never ending to-be-read list. :)

message 5: by Jubiliana (new)

Jubiliana | 2 comments I wouldn't mind The Lightning Thief, cause I have it back in my country ready to read!

message 6: by Nicolette (new)

Nicolette Mortensen | 3 comments Everyone I know says the series starting with The Lightning Thief is really good and I just haven't found the time to read it yet. :)

message 7: by Carol (new)

Carol Fiore | 1 comments Hi All,

I'm Carol Fiore, a local Tucson author, humbly suggesting my latest release "Countdown, Book One - The Skye Van Bloem Trilogy."

It is YA fiction with a strong female protagonist, her two best friends: one a brilliant science geek, the other a gentle, kind boy. The book has timely environmental and conservation messages, hidden in a plot with adventures on three continents, and lots of animal characters.

I'd be honored to speak with your group. I have a couple book signings coming up in Tucson (check my author page or website for details). Here is a description of the book and I thank you for your consideration!

______

Polar ice caps are melting. Whole ecosystems are being destroyed. Wildlife is being carelessly slaughtered.

Eighteen-year-old Skye Van Bloem didn't create the environmental crisis facing our planet, but she’s angry about it. What upsets her the most is that with the exception of her two best friends hardly anyone else on Earth seems to care.

But Skye's about to discover that she's not alone. A race of technologically advanced aliens called Beholders have offered the animals of Earth a chance to determine the fate of the biggest threat facing the planet: humanity itself. According to an unlikely emissary from the animal world—a snarky prairie dog—only Skye can convince them that humans can change and start protecting the environment instead of destroying it.

Now, nothing is as it seemed. As Skye’s adventures take her from the mountains of Colorado to the forests and fiords of New Zealand, she’s not sure who she can trust—her own grandmother, new friends, strange animal guides, or the handsome Beholder who just might be in love with her. But Skye’s biggest worry is herself: can someone as skeptical of humankind as she is become their greatest champion?

She doesn't have long to decide. The countdown has started.

Countdown (The Skye Van Bloem Trilogy Book 1) by Carol Fiore