Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Silvio Berlusconi's Italy: a portrait of the country and its godfather
This topic is about Silvio Berlusconi's Italy
True Crime Authors > Italian author Vittorio Vandelli's first true crime book in English

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vittorio (new)

Vittorio Vandelli | 4 comments I have just entered this group, so first of all greetings from Italy, land of beauty and corruption, home to Leonardo and the mafia, where the media are not free and true crime stories unfold every day. I was really pleasantly surprised in 2015 when I was told I was the first Italian author to be shortlisted as FINALIST at 'THE WRITE STUFF' PRIZE at the LONDON BOOK FAIR with my first book in English 'SILVIO BERLUSCONI'S ITALY'.
Berlusconi's political saga is the quintessential all-Italian true crime story, the tale of the first gangster/prime minister in the Western world. My book is a portrait of Italy’s godfather and also a detailed picture of Italian society, an attempt to let the foreign reader understand how it has been possible for a mafia-linked business magnate and media tycoon, constantly in trouble with justice and drenched in vice, to become the most popular political leader, Prime Minister and the absolute master of the country for the last twenty years. On August 1, 2013, when Berlusconi was given an unexpected final guilty verdict, I decided I would write a book about this unbelievable (to foreign eyes) plot, to try and explain something foreigners cannot understand.
Writing it down has meant for me a way to clear my conscience, to fulfill the moral duty to give voice to the astonishing events I was witnessing, while the majority of the people accepted them as normal facts. Once the book was finished, I felt a sense of relief, as if to say: it is all written here, and there is no way to let it all slip into oblivion. The main reaction of my non Italian readers is shock... well, that's the way it's got to be.
Thanks in advance just in case you want to have a look at it.

Vittorio Vandelli, author of Silvio Berlusconi's Italy: a portrait of the country and its godfather

message 2: by Hari (new)

Hari Brandl (CrochetBuddies) | 296 comments Welcome to the group, Vittorio.
Congratulations on being short listed. I look forward to reading the book.

message 3: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 6462 comments Welcome!!! We can never get enough books about criminal public figures, so your offering is especially welcome. I think it adds a special flavor that Berlusconi is still alive and likely to comment on your work...

message 4: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 6462 comments I just added him to our "Crimes Among The Rich And Famous" shelf.

message 5: by Vittorio (new)

Vittorio Vandelli | 4 comments Hari wrote: "Welcome to the group, Vittorio.
Congratulations on being short listed. I look forward to reading the book."

Thank you. I hope you'll find it shocking too, but I think it is hilarious and tragic at the same time. Let me know. Vittorio

message 6: by Vittorio (new)

Vittorio Vandelli | 4 comments Fishface wrote: "I just added him to our "Crimes Among The Rich And Famous" shelf."
That's the place where the book belongs. B. still thinks he is the master of the country today... and even if he is a walking shadow, I suspect he is right.

message 7: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 2571 comments Mod
Thanks for posting and thanks for the friend request!