COOKIES! discussion

Recipes > Brownie recipes

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Aug 06, 2011 08:19AM) (new)

Kim (mrsnesbitt) | 530 comments Mod
COCONUT RUMBALL BROWNIES*

1 pkg. of dark chocolate brownies, must make 13x9 size

Rum (I use Bacardi Gold, which is cheap, but not too cheap. Do not use Ron Rico or very expensive rum.) Whatever the pkg. says the amount of water should be, replace with rum.

3/4 tsp. coconut extract*

1 tsp. instant espresso or instant coffee

1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

oil and eggs (according to pkg. directions)

Mix the batter following the pkg. directions, adding the extracts, and rum.

Spread into the pan prepared according to the pkg. directions.

Bake for the time reccomended.

When removed from oven, prick the brownies with a fork. Sprinklr more rum over the top.

When brownies are cool, sprikle with more rum.

Frost with vanilla frosting and top with toasted coconut*.

Serve to adults only.

*Coconut may be left out from any step.

message 2: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Jun 19, 2010 10:26AM) (new)

I learned this recipe in high school in a foods for all occasions class. They have been a hit ever since.

GERMAN CHOCOLATE CARAMEL BARS
(a.k.a Those caramel brownie things)

BASE:

1 box German Chocolate cake mix, any brand

1/3 c. EVAPORATED milk

2/3 melted butter

FILLING:

1/3 c. EVAPORATED milk

1 lb. caramels, un-wrapped (you can use the Kraft caramel chips, found on the baking aisle)

1 12 oz (or so)bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven 350

Grease the bottom of a 13x 9 pan.

In medium bowl,combine cake mix, butter, and 1/3 c evap. milk. Stir to combine. Pat 2/3 or so of mixture into bottom of pan. SAVE SOME FOR LATTER!

Bake 6 min.

While cake bakes, melt caramels in non-stick pot with 1/3 c. evap. milk. on medium heat, stiring constantly until melted.

When hot cake comes out, pour entire bag of chips evenly on top of the cake, then pour hot caramel over chips evenly. Dot with remaining cake batter.

Bake 20 minutes more. Cool completely on rack before serving.

Makes 3 doz.

message 3: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Jul 01, 2010 07:40AM) (new)

I created this this week for 2 birthdays for the Y staff. My inspiration was my Rumball Brownies.

COCONUT BROWNIES

1 box brownie mix (the kind that makes 13x9), prefferably plain chocolate or dark chocolate, no chunks or chips

1 c. shredded or flaked coconut, pulsed a few times in a food chopper or processor to break up the longer strands.

3/4 tsp. coconut extract

Coconut for toasting (about 1/2 c. -1 c. depending on how much you like)

Make mix according to package directions. Fold in coconut. Bake in pan according to package. Cool completely before frosting. Toast cocconut in dry pan on low heat on stove top, stiring constantly. When golded, remove from heat. Cool. Frost brownies and top with toasted coconut.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in luck (or not), since I can't stand coconut! :(

message 5: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I am working on a raspberry brownie and a cherry brownie....

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good to me! You are amazing, Kim! :)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 19 comments Kim wrote: "I learned this recipe in high school in a foods for all occasions class. They have been a hit ever since.

(a.k.a Those caramel brownie things)..."

That sounds truly evil. I can't wait to try it. :)

message 8: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I have gotten so many rave reviews of those things. They are so simple, but they seem like they take forever. I think that is how baking should be. Really simple, but tastes complicated.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 19 comments Kim wrote: "I have gotten so many rave reviews of those things. They are so simple, but they seem like they take forever. I think that is how baking should be. Really simple, but tastes complicated."

I went to Super Wal-Mart today to buy ingredients and would you believe they don't carry German Chocolate Cake mix? Their baking aisle selections are kind of slim and I'll have to remember to shop elsewhere for those supplies in the future.

message 10: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

I find that happens here too with our main grocery chain. The bigger the store, the less baking items I can find. I am finding that I am doing better at a local chain discount store for finding more of what I want in the baking department. (Cheaper too, and they take coupons!)

message 11: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 19 comments Kim wrote: "I learned this recipe in high school in a foods for all occasions class. They have been a hit ever since.

(a.k.a Those caramel brownie things)..."

Thanks for the recipe. I made them today for a friend's birthday and they were a big hit!

message 12: by Kim, Cookie Master (new)

Glad they worked out. I only make mine a few times a year to keep them special, so I will make them in a few weeks. If I don't there will be a riot and my mechanic will never touch my car again!

message 13: by Kim, Cookie Master (last edited Mar 01, 2011 07:50AM) (new)

I made these over the weekend for the boyfriends birthday cake. He picked them out and they are GOOD! This is a Hershey recipe that I cut out of the Sunday coupon section a few years ago. The principal is that of Creme de Menthe brownies. I added a few things to the original recipe and they are marked with an *.

CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY BARS

PRE HEAT 350

CAKE:

1 c. flour

1 c. sugar

1/2 c (1 stick) butter or margarine) softened

4 eggs

1/4 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. salt*

1/4 tsp. vanilla*

1 1/2 c. chocolate syrup (get the one in the can,found in the baking and ice-cream topping section. I used the classic, but you can use the Special Dark)

Grease a 13x9 pan. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla,eggs,and butter. Beat until smooth. Add syrup and blend until smooth. Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes or until a clean toothpick test. Cool completely.

RASPBERRY FILLING:

2 c. powdered sugar

1/2 c. butter (or margarine) softened

1/4 c. raspberry seedless raspberry preserves with 1 tsp. water (and 1 tsp. raspberry extract*) OR You may use 2 TBLSP. raspberry flavored liqueur in place of preserves and a few drops of red food coloring.

Beat every thing together until smooth. Spread over cooled cake. Fridge for several hours or until completely chilled.

CHOCOLATE TOPPING:

Melt 1 c. of semi-sweet chocolate chips with 6 TBLSP. butter (or margarine).(Again, if you want to use the Special Dark chips, I don't see why not.) Cool slightly before spreading on top of raspberry filling. Chill until serving and keep leftovers in fridge.

Serves 12 or so. Cut in large squares to remove from pan before cutting smaller ones if desired.