Agile Florida discussion

Turn the Ship Around! > Discussion about Turn the Ship Around

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Pike (darlenepike) | 1 comments Mod
I wanted to open the discussion here, supplemental to the discussions in the Slack. We can use this space to talk about specific books as we read them, and use the Slack channel for anything at all that is book related. Let's try it!

Here's our schedule for reading "Turn the Ship Around!"
June 18 - July 1 "Starting Over, Chapters 1-7"
July 2 - July 15 "Control, Chapters 8 - 11"
July 16 - July 29 "Control, Chapters 12 - 15"
July 30 - August 12 "Competence, Chapters 16 - 20"
August 13 - August 26 "Clarity, Chapters 21 - 29"

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark (mkilby) | 2 comments Finished reviewing other book and now up to Ch 3 in this one. Interesting to see hear about the leader-leader perspective and how a leader departing should NOT have impact on the organization. Completely agree with this and hope it sounds familiar to those in Agile Orlando

message 3: by Ed (new)

Ed (edmartin3) | 1 comments Mod
I truly believe in the leader-leader model. I am excited to see the military adjust their leadership style based in the military author leadership books I have read recently. I have always hired great technicians to allow me to focus on the business challenges. My goal has always been to grow and export talent. I'm not doing my job if I am doing theirs. However, there is a real market for "working" managers.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (femmequity) | 1 comments Starting section on "Clarity". The last section, "Competence", had a few things I would say are related to agile and/or scrum
1.Provide your people with the objective and let them figure out the method.
2. Allowing teams to self-organize.
3. Certifying rather than briefing as a way to force intellectual engagement at every level on the team. Have people come prepared to meetings as participants rather than spectators.
4. Continuous learning results in cross-trained teams that are capable of self-organzing because they have the tools they need in order to execute their plans/goals.
5. Deliberate action means we act with intention and not on autopilot. Deliberate action decreases errors.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark (mkilby) | 2 comments Well said Elizabeth! As I read the first chapter of the Clarity section (Ch 21), I wonder how well I'm taking care of my people and are they mine to take care of as an agile coach?

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (ninjawritermama) | 1 comments I am so behind, but I'm reading and enjoying this book! :)