Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Reliquary Buddy Read

Comments (showing 1-50 of 108) (108 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry and I started a buddy read on Relinquary today. If you would like to join, we welcome you!

message 2: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Should be fun!

message 3: by Ginger (last edited Jun 26, 2017 08:56AM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Should be fun!"

I hope this works Terry. I'll try to be mindful of where you are with the book so I don't ruin spoilers for you too. hahaha

message 4: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Should work just fine. We can use the spoiler tags just to make sure we don't ruin anything, if you'd like.

message 5: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Should work just fine. We can use the spoiler tags just to make sure we don't ruin anything, if you'd like."

Sounds good!

message 6: by Terry (last edited Jun 26, 2017 11:19AM) (new)

Terry | 3319 comments I've read up to the end of ch6. Interesting start so far, I think. In ch1 (view spoiler)

In ch6 (view spoiler)

message 7: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "I've read up to the end of ch6. Interesting start so far, I think. In ch1 [spoilers removed]

In ch6 [spoilers removed]"

I started at lunch. I've just got to chapter 4! I forgot how much I love these quick chapters.
Yes, in chapter 1, I would have lost my mind as well! Seriously, that was a great way to start this book. Freaked me the F out.

message 8: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "I've read up to the end of ch6. Interesting start so far, I think. In ch1 [spoilers removed]

I started at lunch. I've just got to chapter 4! I forgot how ..."

This book already feels like the first one to me, too. It just seems like an easy writing style.
Definitely on ch1! Makes my stomach turn still thinking about it, lol...

message 9: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "This book already feels like the first one to me, too. It just seems like an easy writing style.
Definitely on ch1! Makes my stomach turn still thinking about it, lol... "

I mean, you would already be freaked out because of the muck, silt and other shit down there but then to find (view spoiler)?! OMG! hahaha

message 10: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "This book already feels like the first one to me, too. It just seems like an easy writing style.
Definitely on ch1! Makes my stomach turn still thinking about it, lol... "

I mean, yo..."

No kidding! Of course, I'd think I was going to (view spoiler) It's a shame to think of rivers described that are that disgusting, but I know its true in some places.

message 11: by Ginger (last edited Jun 26, 2017 12:07PM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "This book already feels like the first one to me, too. It just seems like an easy writing style.
Definitely on ch1! Makes my stomach turn still thinking about it, lol....."

Oh yeah. Definitely on the (view spoiler)
hahaha!!
Yeah, I'm sure the River Thames is just lovely. ;) LMAO

message 12: by Ginger (last edited Jun 26, 2017 06:03PM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "I've read up to the end of ch6. Interesting start so far, I think. In ch1 [spoilers removed]

I just looked online. There are many articles about (view spoiler). So crazy! I can't imagine a life like that. That was a cool chapter by the way. :D

message 13: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments That is just crazy! A case of Life being stranger than fiction!

message 14: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments So, in ch8 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "So, in ch8 [spoilers removed]"

Yes!! That's my guess as well. I'm curious to see if he's (view spoiler)

message 16: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "So, in ch8 [spoilers removed]"

Yes!! That's my guess as well. I'm curious to see if he's [spoilers removed]"

It sure seemed (view spoiler)

How far along did you get yesterday? I'm just in the middle of ch9 right now, but will read a little more later.

message 17: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "It sure seemed [ that he had started turning into something. But, I'm wondering too if he has converted a bunch of others selling the serum as a drug. I can't remember if he stole the DNA, but I remember that he figured out what the plant did to the original scientist and how it worked so he could recreate it. (hide spoiler)]

How far along did you get yesterday? I'm just in the middle of ch9 right now, but will read a little more later. "

(view spoiler) I'm looking forward to finding out what is going on with that dude.

I got to the beginning of ch11 last night. I'll read some more at lunch and later today. I'm really enjoying this book so far. The writing is just easy to follow and the chapters are not HUGE which makes for great reading in my opinion.

message 18: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Yeah, I remember not liking that guy, Kawakita. Have you seen the movie for Relic yet (I can't remember if we talked about that)? His character in that was even more annoying, but the movie outcome is totally different.

I'm enjoying it too. You're right, it is seems like easy reading.

message 19: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Yeah, I remember not liking that guy, Kawakita. Have you seen the movie for Relic yet (I can't remember if we talked about that)? His character in that was even more annoying, but the movie outcome..."

I won't watch it because Pendergast isn't in it. I mean, come on Hollywood! WTF? hahaha

message 20: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Yeah, I remember not liking that guy, Kawakita. Have you seen the movie for Relic yet (I can't remember if we talked about that)? His character in that was even more annoying, but the..."

Really, lol. Why they would combine Pendergast's character with D'Agosta's charater for the movie, makes absolutely no sense. But, if you didn't know about the book, and like horror movies, it's not too bad.

message 21: by Ginger (last edited Jun 27, 2017 10:19AM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Yeah, I remember not liking that guy, Kawakita. Have you seen the movie for Relic yet (I can't remember if we talked about that)? His character in that was even more an..."

I just don't get that. I guess the screen writers couldn't come up with a tall, albino looking character after all? *smirking* hahaha
I actually just thought of the actor Paul Bettany. He would have been perfect for that role but I guess he was too young when Relic came out.

message 22: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Yeah, I remember not liking that guy, Kawakita. Have you seen the movie for Relic yet (I can't remember if we talked about that)? His character in that wa..."

I guess not... Maybe it was all about money - gotta save one entire actor's salary, so lets combine them!

message 23: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments In ch9, there is a line: "He took another sip of scotch, closing his eyes as it trickled down his gullet like a dream of a finer world."

I can certainly say that has never been my reaction after a sip of scotch, or any whiskey for that matter, lol!

message 24: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "In ch9, there is a line: "He took another sip of scotch, closing his eyes as it trickled down his gullet like a dream of a finer world."

I can certainly say that has never been my reaction after a..."

Ha! Me either. I usually gasp and start cringing. :D
Just got to ch17. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Terry (last edited Jun 27, 2017 12:10PM) (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "In ch9, there is a line: "He took another sip of scotch, closing his eyes as it trickled down his gullet like a dream of a finer world."

I can certainly say that has never been my re..."

Exactly! I'm cringing now thinking of it...

I just stopped at ch17 too. I'm curious because (view spoiler)

message 26: by Ginger (last edited Jun 27, 2017 12:17PM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "In ch9, there is a line: "He took another sip of scotch, closing his eyes as it trickled down his gullet like a dream of a finer world."

I can certainly say that has n..."

Yeah, you could be on to something. Maybe it's similar to the (view spoiler)

message 27: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments That's what I'm guessing. (view spoiler)

message 28: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "That's what I'm guessing. [spoilers removed]"

Good guess!!

message 29: by Ginger (last edited Jun 27, 2017 07:49PM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "That's what I'm guessing. [spoilers removed]"

Ch17 - (view spoiler) Loved it!!

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "That's what I'm guessing. [spoilers removed]"

Ch17 - [spoilers removed] Loved it!!"

It's about time!

message 31: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ch18 - (view spoiler)

message 32: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Oh wow, in ch21 (view spoiler)

message 33: by Ginger (last edited Jun 28, 2017 06:44AM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Oh wow, in ch21 [spoilers removed]"

Wait until ch22!! I just got to ch23 on the light rail this morning. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Ch18 - [spoilers removed]"

Seriously, I have no idea. (view spoiler)
I don't understand Terry!! hahaha

message 35: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Oh wow, in ch21 [spoilers removed]"

Wait until ch22!! I just got to ch23 on the light rail this morning. [spoilers removed]"

Holy crap, I wasn't expecting that! (view spoiler)

message 36: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ch18 - [spoilers removed]"

Seriously, I have no idea. [spoilers removed]
I don't understand Terry!! hahaha"

No kidding! I don't understand either.

message 37: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments In ch23, (view spoiler)

message 38: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "In ch23, [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, he's great!! I love this character!
Ch28, get ready to get your mind blown by (view spoiler)

message 39: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "In ch23, [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, he's great!! I love this character!
Ch28, get ready to get your mind blown by [spoilers removed]"

That is so hard to imagine, and the fact that they built all that stuff like 100 years ago. How in the world do you dig something like that 30 stories underground! Also, how does New York not just fall in on itself? Crazy!

message 40: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ch30 (view spoiler)

message 41: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Ch30 [spoilers removed]"

I know!!! I just got to Ch33 while commuting to work this morning. Wha?!! He's such a complex and interesting character. I love this guy. I can't believe he's so (view spoiler)

message 42: by Ginger (last edited Jun 29, 2017 06:54AM) (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Also it appears that we're both only reading this book right now and keeping pace with each other. I have other books that I'm reading but I haven't even touched them since I started Reliquary. It says something for the writing and plot. I'm engrossed!

message 43: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Ch30 [spoilers removed]"

I know!!! I just got to Ch33 while commuting to work this morning. Wha?!! He's such a complex and interesting character. I love this guy. I can't believe he'..."

No kidding! I like his character because he seems so intelligent, but never over the top. And shitting my pants would be my exact reaction to that also, lol!

Ginger wrote: "Also it appears that we're both only reading this book right now and keeping pace with each other. I have other books that I'm reading but I haven't even touched them since I started [book:Reliquar..."

Ikr! I love the mystery of this book, keeping me guessing. I stopped at ch33 this morning also, so right on pace with you, lol.

message 44: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "No kidding! I like his character because he seems so intelligent, but never over the top. And shitting my pants would be my exact reaction to that also, lol!"

I also like how he reads people, figures out their personality and then changes his personality in order to establish a connection to get what he needs. He's fantastic!!

message 45: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "No kidding! I like his character because he seems so intelligent, but never over the top. And shitting my pants would be my exact reaction to that also, lol!"

I also like how he read..."

Yes - the perfect trait for an investigator!

message 46: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments In ch34 (view spoiler)

message 47: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Oh man, ch36 is good! (view spoiler)

message 48: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "Oh man, ch36 is good! [spoilers removed]"

Hahaha!!! Yes, that's a good survival skill, especially at night. :D
I just finished that chapter at lunch. OMG Wow, it was gripping! I couldn't turn the pages fast enough because I knew 'something' was going to happen.

Terry wrote: "In ch34 [spoilers removed]"

Maybe!! Great idea!! Another thought, the guy might have been (view spoiler)

message 49: by Terry (new)

Terry | 3319 comments Ginger wrote: "Terry wrote: "Oh man, ch36 is good! [spoilers removed]"

Hahaha!!! Yes, that's a good survival skill, especially at night. :D
I just finished that chapter at lunch. OMG Wow, it was gripping! I coul..."

Good suggestion on the drug user. That seems more likely.

I made it up to ch40 (view spoiler)

message 50: by Ginger (new)

Ginger | 1006 comments Terry wrote: "I made it up to ch40 (view spoiler) "

I'm at ch39. OMG! I can't wait for that!! I peaked at your spoiler and I'm not sorry. hahaha

« previous 1 3