#AVeryPotterSummer Readalong discussion

Random Fandom Discussions! > Snape Hate [spoilers]

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anica (new)

Anica (MidknytOwl) | 11 comments Okay, so just finished the re-read of PoA (started late), and...I hate Snape.

I know, I know. He's this amazing double agent and he sacrificed his life, both the living of it and having it end, to help the cause, he's a great hero, "one of the bravest men I ever knew", etc.

But he's such a terrible human when he didn't have to be.

There's no reason for him to be so mean to the students. He's mean to Harry, he's mean to Hermione, he's atrocious to Neville. So maybe you hate the kid that looks just like the man that tormented you and married your one love. Maybe you hate the other kid because if Voldy had picked him the love of your life would still be alive. I get it. But if you use that to be horrific, that's all on you AND does not make you a hero/great person, regardless of what other acts you do.

All those times he's mean to Hermione for knowing an answer (calling her an insufferable know it all), or telling a bucktooth girl he can't see a difference when her teeth grow down to her chin, is just MEAN. Or when he forced Neville to feed his potion to his toad (and giving points off Gryffindor for Hermione helping him when it doesn't end up hurting the toad), and telling Lupin that Neville was terrible, etc. Or pretty much any interaction with Harry.

He may have done good things, and may have helped the good side to the end, but he was a terrible human being and the good he did doesn't absolve him of that. Harry should not have named his son after him.

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ann | 9 comments i don't get why rowling wants us to applaud snape for his "heroics" but want to condem draco who is a child and only repeating what his father taught him. but he later changed and grew up. i can't accept snape as a hero cause of the fact he bullied children and threaten to drug harry.

message 3: by Daniella (new)

Daniella (DaniellaOlga) | 2 comments The re reads make so much clear how terrible person Snape was. He did good thing for the cause, but that it's not an excuse. He is a 30-somenthing ADULT, and behaves worst than his students.
(That part in PoA when Sirius gets away and he throw a tantrum, even the minister of magic was shocked).

message 4: by Lilliana (new)

Lilliana Mardeath (SimplySignificant) | 9 comments Snape is a good man he secretly helps Harry at the end of the books, and in the first book the first thing he says to Harry is, "Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?” According to Victorian Flower Language, asphodel is a type of lily meaning 'My regrets follow you to the grave' and wormwood means 'absence' and also typically symbolized bitter sorrow. So if Harry knew what that meant he would have figured out that he loved Lily.

message 5: by Iselin (new)

Iselin | 4 comments ^ Snape may have loved Lily (or obsessed over her to be honest) but losing her to another man and then having her die is not an excuse to bully children like he did. He was a thirteen year old's biggest fear. Snape appologists can be so annoying. Sure, Snape wasn't evil, he did a lot for the greater good and sacrificed himself in the end, but he was also kind of a dick.

message 6: by Bryana (new)

Bryana (Bryana_McKenzie) | 2 comments I have mixed feelings about him. I think it was very caring that he agreed to put what he wanted second to what Dumbledore needed of him concerning Harry. However, the way he treated Harry in the process simply because James had been awful to him when they were in school is unacceptable. And the storyline of Snape being in love with Lily is very sweet, but I feel like if he loved her as much as the storyline professed, he would have been less of a bully toward Harry. After all, Harry wasn't just James' son, he was Lily's as well. But I do love that we find out how complex Snape was, because it just makes him more human, and a bit less of a villain.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Roxane | 18 comments I cannot stand Snape. Okay, he did some good stuff for the cause, I concede to that, maybe he's even a hero. But he is also a jerk and I feel like people forget or ignore how terrible he was. He was so mean and to me there is no excuse. It actually really riles me that Harry named a kid after Snape, who was horrific to him and his friends and Hagrid, who gave him that photo album of his parents, his first birthday cake, his first birthday present, treated him like a son, wasn't. It actually really bothers me.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Roxane | 18 comments And I completely agree with Kelly Ann about Draco. We are still supposed to believe he's evil when he was just acting how he was taught but then realised he was wrong and changed his ways? Wth?

message 9: by Anica (new)

Anica (MidknytOwl) | 11 comments Glad I'm not alone. :)

Stephanie, I remember a post oreading ace that went something like "Arthur Remus Potter, you were named after two brave men that protected and cared for me with no alterior motives." I can see forgiving Dumbledore for manipulating you and stuff, because part of it had to be done and at least he was always nice to you and remorseful for his mistakes. But otherwise, how about the many other decent men in your life, Harry?

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1 comments I like Snape, he is one of my favorite characters (no you cant convince me to ever hate him). I dont like that he was horrible to his students or Lupin and i definitely dont ship Snily. I like snape because he is complex, he is neither a hero nor a villian and hes complex. I just like the characters who are not obvious villians or heros

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary Flynn | 19 comments Alex wrote: "I like Snape, he is one of my favorite characters (no you cant convince me to ever hate him). I dont like that he was horrible to his students or Lupin and i definitely dont ship Snily. I like snap..."

Yeah, I get that... honestly, I think I could get on board with this view of Snape if so much of the fandom didn't worship the ground he walked on (but then again that seems to be dying down, so maybe I'll be there in the future!)

message 12: by Daniella (new)

Daniella (DaniellaOlga) | 2 comments Alex wrote: "I like Snape, he is one of my favorite characters (no you cant convince me to ever hate him). I dont like that he was horrible to his students or Lupin and i definitely dont ship Snily. I like snap..."

That is the thing, Snape is a very complex and well written character, but as a person is horrible, and for that I hate him. Also is for what Mary said : " so much of the fandom didn't worship the ground he walked on " That love sort of blind love that some people have for him, knowing all the things that happen in the novels is just... no

message 13: by Kathryn CA (new)

Kathryn CA (kathrynlouwCA) | 1 comments I think that kind of blind love that you all talk about is why I hate the character of Harry Potter. I like Snape because he is complex. There is bad and good. The debate over whether he was bad or good carried all the way to the end. We, as people, are complex. We hate random people for no reason. We do random acts of kindness for strangers. We sacrifice and yet we are also selfish. We love people we should hate and hate people we should love. We go over and beyond for those we love. We do it all. A lot of the characters in the series are one-dimensional .

message 14: by Dee (last edited Jul 15, 2017 11:20AM) (new)

Dee Arr | 6 comments I like Snape. His method of delivery whenever he speaks usually says more than his words, and reveals a complex character that at times overshadows the "heroes.".

message 15: by Juan Cruz Marelli (last edited Jul 22, 2017 05:14PM) (new)

Juan Cruz Marelli | 1 comments It´s just so unbelievably awful to know that a KID´S worst fear is his teacher taking into account the fact that his parents were tortured to insanity and that he lives in a world full of monsters and deadly creatures, not to mention Bellatrix, Voldemort, etc
I´m not saying that he is a bad CHARACTER quite the opposite, morally grey characters tend to be the best one, but certainly, he is one of the worst persons ever to exist and I don´t think anything will change that

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Roxane | 18 comments I'm so behind, still rereading OotP and it bothers me how much the Marauders bully Snape. Not that I think that gives him the right to make children's lives miserable and I still don't like him, but I do feel bad

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Curtis (hannahheartsbooks6) | 17 comments Stephanie wrote: "I'm so behind, still rereading OotP and it bothers me how much the Marauders bully Snape. Not that I think that gives him the right to make children's lives miserable and I still don't like him, bu..."

I completely agree. I don't like Snape at all, but as a child who got bullied I related to him in his younger years. They were mean to him just because they wanted to be mean. I don't think he should take out his anger at everybody else because he had a bad childhood though. I was bullied and I don't take it out on the people who bullied me. I just got over it. On the flip side, I also liked how Harry saw his father as not completely perfect because I think Harry had always assumed he wasn't flawed.

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Roxane | 18 comments Hannah wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "I'm so behind, still rereading OotP and it bothers me how much the Marauders bully Snape. Not that I think that gives him the right to make children's lives miserable and I still ..."

Definitely. I mean, i feel bad for Snape, I really do. They tortured him for no reason but just because they did doesn't' give him the right the bully people. I was bullied, too, and I also know how it feels. He's a teacher, he's supposed to be above all of that, not to mention that he shouldn't be treating any students different than any others, although in fairness we can say a lot of the teachers also do this, not to the extent of Snape, who bullies all the students who aren't Slytherin's mercilessly.

I definitely agree, Hannah, that I liked how it made Harry see James in another light and start to try and understand. He's now seeing that James wasn't the perfect nice guy that everyone's always made him out to be. And i thought it was hilarious when he wondered how on earth Lily ended up marrying James when she seems to hate him so much lol.

message 19: by Theresa-Mary (new)

Theresa-Mary Mc Glinchey | 1 comments I'm just starting to read The Half-Blood Prince, (yes, I know I'm really behind), and to be honest, I actually really like Snape. I get that he can be really, unnecessarily mean to Harry, Hermoine and Neville a lot of the time but I really feel that Snape is one of the most compex and real characters I have ever met. I get that he should not be taking his anger or resentment out on the children of his childhood bullies, but I personally feel that he is extremely relatable as to how he deals with his emotions, (i.e. considering that his childhood tormentors are dead, he had no outlet for his resentful and powerful emotions.)
Personally, I applaud Snape for his actions throughout the series and I especially applaud J.K Rowling for creating such a complex, original yet relatable character. :)

message 20: by Meg (new)

Meg | 14 comments I just watched a video on YouTube that says that Newt Scamander was on the THE MARAUDER'S MAP in the prisoner of azkaban movie. Then they put out a pic of it.
https://youtu.be/yDpOUr2HulQ

It's at the very end of the video

How is that possible. That's years apart how could he still be alive.
Pleas help