World, Writing, Wealth discussion

World & Current Events > Divorce rates

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nik (last edited Jun 26, 2017 12:53AM) (new)

Nik Krasno | 7767 comments Talking previously about societal bonding being laxer than before, we see that families too aren't as stable as they used to be, in the West and Eastern Europe reaching around 50%:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce...
Why are divorces on the rise in your opinion?
Is it because religion, supporting marriages isn't as pivotal as it's used to be, people become more intolerant/intolerable and less compromising, marriage partnership isn't fashionable anymore, other options become more viable and available?
What do you think?

message 2: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4088 comments I wonder about the statistics - are we counting serial divorcees as the sum of their marriages? One possible reason is the climb of narcissism e.g the plague of selfies. Marriage requires the partners to think of each other.

message 3: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 7767 comments Ian wrote: "I wonder about the statistics - are we counting serial divorcees as the sum of their marriages? One possible reason is the climb of narcissism e.g the plague of selfies. Marriage requires the partn..."

Not sure, the serials make a big chunk of the stats. But who knows. In a tiny country with a few thousands citizens - one wedding champ can really make a difference -:)
Yeah, egocentrism may contribute. Or maybe 'forever', whether about marriage, job and other previously more fundamental things - is too long and bears a little heavier on modern people...?

message 4: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1680 comments Part of it, in my opinion, is that more and more women are in a position financially to support themselves and their children and leave the marriage. My parents are still together, but if my mom had had the means to leave him when he had an affair, they might not have stayed together.

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4088 comments What I was thinking, Nik, was statistics here show that if divorcees remarry, most of those divorce again. I am not talking about a wedding champ, but if every divorcee remarries and divorces again, the statistics overstate the true situation (the probability of no divorce) by a factor of 2. There is another issue too. In this country, at least, divorce is now on a "no fault" basis, and you can just go and get it. When I was very young, it was nearly impossible to get - you had to get real evidence of unfaithful spouse, or real family violence. So if it becomes easier to get, those who once were trapped in misery now get out of it easily.

message 6: by Scout (new)

Scout (goodreadscomscout) | 1680 comments Do you think, Ian, that the change in women's socioeconomic status has impacted divorce rates?

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Miller | 4088 comments Scout wrote: "Do you think, Ian, that the change in women's socioeconomic status has impacted divorce rates?"

Yes, probably, because enow a woman can get out of the marriage and live. Before, she thought she was trapped, and to some extent she was.

message 8: by Jeffery (new)

Jeffery J. | 92 comments Scout wrote: "Do you think, Ian, that the change in women's socioeconomic status has impacted divorce rates?"

Instead of a guy, now they got real estate. Instead of kids, now they got pets. Heck, who wouldn't?