Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

The Pirates of Pacta Servanda (The Pillars of Reality, #4)
This topic is about The Pirates of Pacta Servanda
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Achieved: Series Reads > The Pirates of Pacta Servanda (The Pillars of Reality #4) by Jack Campbell [Start date: July 03, 2017]

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4163 comments
The Pirates of Pacta Servanda (The Pillars of Reality #3) by Jack Campbell

Master Mechanic Mari and Mage Alain have survived every attempt to stop them, but their enemies are determined to kill Mari, the only one who can save her world from a storm of destruction. As armies begin to gather and cities seethe with tension, Mari, Alain, and their friends must prepare to confront the storm in the place it first appeared: the broken kingdom of Tiae.

The dangers facing them demand perilous raids, tough battles, and more than a little piracy. Beating the Mechanics Guild and the Mage Guild that have controlled the world of Dematr for centuries will require an unprecedented alliance under Mari's command of rebellious Mechanics, Mages, and common folk who know that together they can change the world, but separately they will all lose.

descriptiondescriptiondescription

Join us in July for this "buddy read".

Please note: This is book 4 and may contain spoilers for books 1-3.

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4163 comments Reserved.

message 3: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments I'm in

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Ready to start this.

message 5: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments I'll start tonight.

message 6: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Ch. 1 (view spoiler)

message 7: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments I'm starting now.

message 8: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments Gisela wrote: "Ch. 1 [spoilers removed]"

I had the same problem in the previous books. It just doesn't make sense that he doesn't know the meaning of some words that get used all the time.

message 9: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Not just the meaning of the words, but the concept. How are you supposed to distribute your military forces if you can't divide? It's ridiculous. Also, Mari's mood swings are getting tiresome. She supposedly admires Alain but constantly says dismissive things about his abilities. Her actions, words and attitude don't always match. I'm also finding hard to believe how quick people are to believe that Mari is The Daughter. Can't anyone believe in her cause without believing she's the daughter?

message 10: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Ch. 3(view spoiler)

message 11: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments I finished chapter 1, I can't dig up any enthusiasm for this one! At one point I was looking at the same page for 10 minutes without understanding what I was reading

message 12: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Hmm, yeah. At this point it feels like things are dragging and repeating. The plot is goinin circles.

message 13: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments G I'm still on chapter 2!!

message 14: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments Im'm back to reading. Finished chapter 4

message 15: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments What do you think of Mari so far?

message 16: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments Gisela wrote: "What do you think of Mari so far?"

She's too good to be true with her answers to the questions about the daughter and not charging people for repairs. Too idealistic to be realistic!!!
I like Alain more than her.

message 17: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Me too.

message 18: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments I'm on chapter 11 and Mari is on my nerves!
She's so good and respectful and considerate of every one except Alain. She keeps questioning his abilities and the way he talks. I expected her to understand and respect the way he talks and deal with things by now.

message 19: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments Exactly, I hate the passive agressive thing she does with him. She's all "Oh I'm alive because of you, too bad your magic isn't reliable or useful when it really counts. But thank you, my love". I hate it when she calls him "My love" it comes off as patronizing rather than an endearment. She goes on and on about how she and Alain are partners but she doesn't treat him as such.

message 20: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments What did you think of it?

message 21: by ShoSho , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12102 comments Sorry I had a busy weekend after I finished this, forgot to comment!

I skipped a lot and I don't think I missed anything. I'm not a big fan of Mari, I don't know why Alain loves her!!! The story was the same story from the last 3 books. They are running they get attacked they meet people Mari makes fun of Alain's abilities...
I was thinking may be we should give ourselves a rest and and skip a month , maybe it would get better?

message 22: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 3913 comments I'm ok with a break, I think books 2 and 3 could have been edited into one book and this one shortened by a lot. I really liked Mari in the first book but not anymore, she's too perfect while at the same time belittles Alain. I was ok with some things she did in book 1 because I expected some character growth but she hasn't changed a bit. If anything she's gotten worse.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.