The Book Bound Society discussion

Saints and Misfits
This topic is about Saints and Misfits
July 2017: Saints & Misfits > July BoTM: "Saints & Misfits" by S. K. Ali / Discussion & Spoilers

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Grace (Grace's Library) (thehouseofhades) | 69 comments Mod
You can discuss the July BOTM:
"Saints and Misfits" by S. K. Ali, here!
It is a Muslim #OwnVoices and a #MuslimShelfSpace read.

SYNOPSIS:
Saints and Misfits is an unforgettable debut novel that feels like a modern day My So-Called Life…starring a Muslim teen.

How much can you tell about a person just by looking at them?

Janna Yusuf knows a lot of people can’t figure out what to make of her…an Arab Indian-American hijabi teenager who is a Flannery O’Connor obsessed book nerd, aspiring photographer, and sometime graphic novelist is not exactly easy to put into a box.

And Janna suddenly finds herself caring what people think. Or at least what a certain boy named Jeremy thinks. Not that she would ever date him—Muslim girls don’t date. Or they shouldn’t date. Or won’t? Janna is still working all this out.

While her heart might be leading her in one direction, her mind is spinning in others. She is trying to decide what kind of person she wants to be, and what it means to be a saint, a misfit, or a monster. Except she knows a monster…one who happens to be parading around as a saint…Will she be the one to call him out on it? What will people in her tightknit Muslim community think of her then?

SOCIAL MEDIA:
Instagram: @thebookboundsociety
Twitter: @thebookbound
July Hashtags: #BBSJuly17 & #TheBookBoundSociety

taryn (sunlitlibrary) wrote: "So excited to read this next month. It's been one of my most anticipated releases of the year, so I hope I love it!"

So excited!!! :D

Shenwei (TheShenners) | 2 comments I've already read the book and loved it, and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else thinks! :)

Loved this book to pieces!! I got to learn so much, and absolutely fell in love with the characters. Such an emotional and important read. I hope everyone gets the chance to read this wonderful intersectional and #OwnVoices book.
Totally agree, Taryn! So excited for S. K. Ali's future books. 😍
Content/Trigger Warning: "Saints and Misfits" contains sexual assault.

Aleksandra (khramovna) | 1 comments Taryn wrote: "I finished SaM yesterday and think it's a very important and relevant read. I loved reading a book about a Muslim character by a Muslim author and loved the discussion and inclusion of faith throug..."

Couldn't agree more! Exactly my feelings on the book!
I loved reading an #ownvoices book about muslim girl and I can't wait to read S.K. Ali's next book.

If only there were a bit more of plot.

I loved Sausun and Sarah! And Mr Ram. The book has all this amazing complex well-written characters! I'm so happy I've got to meet them.

Bárbara | 1 comments Aleksandra wrote: "Taryn wrote: "I finished SaM yesterday and think it's a very important and relevant read. I loved reading a book about a Muslim character by a Muslim author and loved the discussion and inclusion o..."

I'm right here with you girls!
Personally, I did kind of liked Jeremy (that's about the only difference with everything previously stated) but yes, I admit the whole arc involving him lacked depth and his character could have been better.

I'm all for more Nuah too! I feel like I could have appreciated him much more if only we'd have been given the chance to see more of him. Basically, my problem with this book is that there wasn't enough "depth" to the characterisations and the relationships.

But I still make a point in my review that I do recommend this book be given a chance. I just wish the book and I had clicked better, since it was one of my highly anticipated reads.

Brittany (weareattached) | 7 comments My only problem with this book is how many guys she was interested in after The Monster thing happened. I feel like she was very shaken and would not be interested in guys right away afterwards.