Finish Line 2017 > Lois Lane's Books

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane Keeping track of my books.

message 2: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 1. The Runaway by Claire Wong

My rating: 4/5

Lovely story about how the disappearance of a teenage girl changes the lives of people in her small community and how she herself matures as a result of living on her own in the woods surrounding her town. There's a theme running through the book about the importance of storytelling in making sense of the present and the past that really resonated with me.

message 3: by Lois (last edited Jul 04, 2017 07:26PM) (new)

Lois Lane 2. It by Stephen King

Rating: 3/5

Has Steven King never heard of a little thing called editing? I found myself racing through the first half of the book, then thinking "wrap it up already!" King's at his best when writing about the kids in the 1950s, but the grown-up versions began to grate on my nerves. I had serious issues with the two main female characters; one serves no purpose other than to be a damsel in distress;the other is sexualized from a young age. Her decision on how to save the group at the end of the book was unrealistic, given the ages of those involved. So, good rating for the first half, but issues toward the end had a negative impact on my review.

message 4: by Lois (last edited Jul 07, 2017 08:33AM) (new)

Lois Lane 3. Deviation (Clone Chronicles #2) by Heather Hildenbrand
Rating: 3.5/5
I was at a slight disadvantage going into this book because I had read the first book in the series such a long time ago. Not sure what I was hoping for, perhaps more discussion of what makes Ven human despite her origins. Fast-paced and full of action, the book does keep your attention, yet I found myself rushing through it. Perhaps now that I'm up to speed in this world again, I'll find the third installment more satisfying.

message 5: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 4. Waste of Space Waste of Space by Gina Damico
Rating: 5/5

Wonderfully funny, and touching, story about a group of teenagers who agree to compete in the silliest reality show ever conceived. The parody of contemporary TV programming and the culture that surrounds it is hilarious. The method of telling the story (episode transcripts, phone calls, emails, blog posts, etc.) is original and entertaining. As the story progresses and we learn more about the contestants, their stories become more compelling and there are a number of hilarious plot twists.

message 6: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 5. Tainted (The ARC, #1) by Alexandra Moody
Rating: 4/4

message 7: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 6. Talented (The ARC, # 2) by Alexandra Moody

message 8: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 7. Fractured (The ARC, #3) by Alexandra Moody

message 9: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane Generation (Clone Chronicles, #3) by Heather Hildenbrand

message 10: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 9. Destined (The ARC, #4) by Alexandra Moody

message 11: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane 10. The X-Files Cold Cases by Joe Harris

Rating: 2.5/5

Well, that was disappointing. The usual mytharc nonsense with more dangling plot lines, inconsistencies with the show itself, etc. The best part for me was the return of The Lone Gunmen and the silly (yet somehow appropriate) reveal of where they've been hanging out. GA was her usual wonderful self, though DD's deadpan delivery isn't helped when you can only hear his voice and not see his reactions. As someone who has always despised the mytharc, I was unimpressed by that. And for the love of all that is holy, can we please stop teasing the possibility of a reveal regarding William's whereabouts? Also, CC, we all know by now that Mulder is the father; stop trying to deny the MSR! (Audiences for the audiobook be aware: This contradicts the latest season in many, many ways.)