Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

A Monster Calls
This topic is about A Monster Calls
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > A Monster Calls by Parick Nesss → Start Date: July 5th, 2017

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kikijanika | 2182 comments Join Katie me and Vicki in reading A monster calls by Partrick Ness!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32353 comments YAY!! Now all I have to do is go get it from my daughter. LOL

Thanks for making the thread, Kiki

Kikijanika | 2182 comments No problem!

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments Thanks for the thread - hope to see you in a week or so!

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments Has anyone seen the movie yet?

Kikijanika | 2182 comments I have. It was quite intetesting and I'm curious to see how the book is written.

message 7: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea | 42 comments I'd like to join!

Kikijanika | 2182 comments Welcome!

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments I adored the movie! The book is also beautifully illustrated so I'm excited!

Kikijanika | 2182 comments Oh, I didn't realize the book has illustrations. That's cool!

message 11: by Katie (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments Anyone start yet?

Kikijanika | 2182 comments I'm working night shifts now so I haven't had time to start properly. I'm hoping to get some reading done today, though.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32353 comments I haven't gotten this from my daughter so I can't join this until at least July 16. Sorry!

Kikijanika | 2182 comments No problem :)

message 15: by Kikijanika (last edited Jul 10, 2017 04:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kikijanika | 2182 comments I've read about hundred pages now and I'll be starting the chapter Grandma's house next.

The movie seems to have followed the book very well so far. I like how this story is (view spoiler)

It's terrible how (view spoiler)

Has anybody else started yet?

message 16: by Katie (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments I'm around page 50 and plan to finish tomorrow.

I feel like (view spoiler)

I think the movie was made very well! So far it's in tune with the book.

message 17: by Katie (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments I finished the book a few days ago.
I wanted to like the book more but am kinda just eh about it.
The illustrations were beautiful.

Kikijanika | 2182 comments I'm still about halfway through. Haven't had time to read while travelling. I'm determined to finish during the trip, though!

Kikijanika | 2182 comments I finished, too.

I kind of feel the same way as you..that I should have liked the book more. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Katie (new) - rated it 1 star

Katie (spoondive) | 86 comments I agree completely. This book would make a great gift for a child that is struggling through the same situation - but as a novel I found it lackluster. Though my opinion is not with the popular vote! ;)

Kikijanika | 2182 comments Yeah, it'd be great for a child. It seems we have similar opinions about this book :)