YA Book Bloggers discussion

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Cinder
Book of the Month Discussions > July 2017's Book of the Month

Comments (showing 1-34 of 34) (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nadwa | 50 comments Mod
Hello lovelies!
So, our first book of the month group buddy read & discussion is just around the corner! And I don't know about you. but I'm so excited to do this XD
description
Alright, so here's our schedule for July:
1. On July 1st, we're going to start reading Cinder.
2. On July 14th we will discuss everything that has happened up until chapter 19 (included) on Twitter, using a certain hashtag # that we'll come up with and let you know about soon. So you can read at any pace you like, as long as you reach the end of chapter 19 by July 14th. So this will be the first and only checkpoint discussion. This discussion will start on a Friday and continue over the weekend. That way everyone will hopefully get the chance to participate.
3. On July 28th, the final discussion will take place on Goodreads. One of the moderators will create a new topic, and we'll start discussing the book which we will, by the 28th, have finished. This discussion will also start on a Friday and continue over the weekend.

Mandy (bookprincessreviewsblog) | 36 comments Mod
Nadwa wrote: "Hello lovelies!
So, our first book of the month group buddy read & discussion is just around the corner! And I don't know about you. but I'm so excited to do this XD

Alright, so here's our sched..."

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

Dani - Perspective of a Writer (yaykisspurr) | 3 comments YAY! Sounds super fun and doable!

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Nadwa wrote: "Hello lovelies!

So excited!!! Can't wait to read :D

message 5: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva (brilliantlybookish) | 26 comments YAY !

Jackie (jackiewbu) | 8 comments Mod
YESSSSSS I'M SO EXCITED

Lyndsey (lyndleloo) | 15 comments Nadwa wrote: "Hello lovelies!

Yay! So excited to get started, and really glad we're having a mid month check in :-) bring on July!

Duskangelreads | 24 comments Finally got no excuse to keep putting off Cinder for no good reason! Keen for this group read! 👌🏻

Nadwa | 50 comments Mod
The Twitter hashtag is going to be #YABloggersReadalong
You can start tweeting tomorrow, but please don't include spoilers or discuss any part of the book before July 14 aka our checkpoint discussion ;)

message 10: by Sade (new)

Sade | 1 comments Excited for this!

☾ Liz ☆ Stellar Kitten Book Reviews ☆ | 3 comments Awesome, I've been meaning to give this book a try!

message 12: by Saloni (new) - added it

Saloni | 4 comments Nadwa wrote: "Hello lovelies!

YAY!! Finally! So excited

Annalee | 10 comments So I am busy on the 14th so I won't be able to make that and I will see about the 28th. I am so excited to be doing this!!

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Hey guys! This is just a reminder that our first discussion for the Book of the Month is in a few days (Friday July 14and over the weekend because we're all international) on Twitter, using the hashtag #YABloggersReadalong. The discussion will focus on Cinder up to and including chapter 19, so try to reach that chapter to avoid being spoiled! 😀
Can't wait to discuss the book with you all ☺️

message 15: by Justine (new)

Justine (ishouldreadthat) I'll be away on holiday for this discussion! I'll aim for the end of the month though. Happy reading!

message 16: by Lia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lia (LostInAStory) | 20 comments I've already read and finished the book, and loved it (again, it's my second time reading it). I can't wait for the chat discussion!

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Lia wrote: "I've already read and finished the book, and loved it (again, it's my second time reading it). I can't wait for the chat discussion!"

Hahahah go Lia!! ☺️

Ashley (TheInfiniteLibrary) | 5 comments I've also already finished! I enjoyed it so much that I just breezed through. I don't actually have a twitter so I'll look forward to the end of the month chat on Goodreads. Happy reading everyone! 😊

Bella | 9 comments I just realized I messed up the date for the first twitter chat :( Oh well, I'll be sure to be there on the 28th.

message 20: by Laura (last edited Jul 28, 2017 09:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Hey Bloggers!!

So let's get the discussion for Cinder started!! Remember, there will be spoilers, so if you haven't finished the novel yet, what are you doing here?!

1. CALLED IT: I totally knew Cinder was the lost Lunar princess - you know that if a YA book even mentions a lost princess, 10/10 times it will be the protagonist.

2. Can't tell if I like Kai or don't ??? Like he was great at the beginning, but towards the end - with his treatment of Cyborgs - I just wanted to smack him one lol. Hopefully he changes in the next novel.

3. Poo Iko better be ok or I swear I will be writing a strongly worded letter to Marissa Meyer.

4. I really, really, really want Kai to find out who Cinder really is ASAP. I want to see his stupid face when he realises.

5. The world building was freaking awesome, I still can't deal with how amazing it was. Like: cyborgs, word war IV, kings and queens, war, moon people! So freaking cool.

What do you guys think? Do you enjoy the novel as much as I did?
If you posted a review of the book on your personal blog, leave a link here and we'll all check it out! Here's mine.

Duskangelreads | 24 comments 100% agree with you about Kai. I have a bit of a rant about this in my review. But he is the King! Him and his father allow the procedure that creates cyborgs but then think of them as skum!? If they have such a problem then why do they keep it as being a legal thing. It would be a bit different if they were doing like a black market kinda deal to create cyborgs or if people were doing it to have the abilities of a cyborg! But it's saving people's lives?! Why is that a bad thing.
I really didn't like Kai character for this reason.

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Duskangelreads wrote: "100% agree with you about Kai. I have a bit of a rant about this in my review. But he is the King! Him and his father allow the procedure that creates cyborgs but then think of them as skum!? If th..."

Oh yes I forgot that they were the ones who allowed that procedure! so many cyborgs killed and they didn't even care !
Kai's a tricky character and I like characters that are morally ambiguous - wonder what he's like in the other books.

Ashley (TheInfiniteLibrary) | 5 comments Yeah, I'm still a little unsure about Kai - there were times when I found him charming and sweet and others where I was like hmmmm...
Also I have to say how much I enjoyed this book! I honestly thought it was going to be a forgettable three star read, all hype. I was so surprised to find how much I liked it! I bought the sequel five minutes after I finished.
And yep, the lost princess thing - very predictable. I almost hoped she'd buck tradition and do something different but ah well.
The world building was awesome. It's nice to read something that's Asia centred because I never seem to get outside the western world much.
Justice for Iko!

message 24: by Eva (new) - added it

Eva (brilliantlybookish) | 26 comments JUSTICE FOR IKO!

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Ashley wrote: "Yeah, I'm still a little unsure about Kai - there were times when I found him charming and sweet and others where I was like hmmmm...
Also I have to say how much I enjoyed this book! I honestly tho..."

Same here! I thought surely this is just another hype book but I'm so glad to have been proven wrong!
People keep telling me it's different from typical YA books, so here's hoping Cinder doesn't go all traditional on us - although she is already a cyborg haha
Yes I agree - so often we read very Western-centric novels, it's so heartening to see something different in YA.
Poor Iko, I love her!!

I haven't read a single thing since our checkpoint discussion (I'm the worst lol) so I literally scrolled through this thread with my eyes closed hahaha BUT I'LL TRY TO CATCH UP TODAY🤞🏼

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Jackie wrote: "I haven't read a single thing since our checkpoint discussion (I'm the worst lol) so I literally scrolled through this thread with my eyes closed hahaha BUT I'LL TRY TO CATCH UP TODAY🤞🏼"

GO GO GO JACKIE!

Bella | 9 comments I finished the book on time! Yay! So my thoughts: I honestly guessed Cinder was Selene about a quarter of the way into the book. It would've been the plot twist of the century if she wasn't. I was a little bit disappointed by such an obvious trope, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the book. I kind of feel like Kai is this world's version of a racist for discriminating against cyborgs and that really isn't okay with me. But then it brings up this whole debate about cyborg/robot rights and the social justice activist inside of me is confused. Also, I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I'm really disappointed that Peony died. I was in denial about that the whole time reading and then she died and I was shocked. She had so much character potential.

Bella | 9 comments Ashley wrote: "Yeah, I'm still a little unsure about Kai - there were times when I found him charming and sweet and others where I was like hmmmm...
Also I have to say how much I enjoyed this book! I honestly tho..."

I loved reading in the Asia centered world! Everything is always either American or European and I'm just sick of it!

Ashley (TheInfiniteLibrary) | 5 comments Go Jackie! You can do it!
Bella, that's so true. Her not being the princess would have actually been the most massive plot twist. Haha! I would have laughed.
I kind of cringed a little every time someone made an anti-cyborg remark. Hate in any form is not a pleasant thing to witness. Especially when they'd make comments about Cinder not being able to cry and that it therefore made her less human. I was like COME ON! Just because she can't, doesn't mean she doesn't feel crushed enough to want to!

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Bella wrote: "I finished the book on time! Yay! So my thoughts: I honestly guessed Cinder was Selene about a quarter of the way into the book. It would've been the plot twist of the century if she wasn't. I was ..."

"the social justice activist inside of me is confused" -- literally me lol.
Omg I completely forgot that Peony died!! I couldn't believe it, it just felt so ... random? Like it didn't contribute much to the story aside from Adri being even meaner to Cinder and Cinder losing her foot - which was an awesome take on Cinderella's slipper btw. To me her death felt a little forced, but the book did say that Cinder has her ID chip, so who knows what will happen in the next book.

Omg guys I LOVED IT. I honestly never thought I'd EVER read this book! I still remember when the book came out and I first read the cyborg thing in the synopsis, I was like "NOPE this isn't my cup of tea!"

But it was really good and so entertaining! And I agree, the second they started talking about a lost princess it was clear to me that it'd be Cinder lol. The whole plot kind of felt predictable to me but I didn't mind it all that much!

And it was so quick and easy to read too! I probably would have been able to finish this in one sitting/a day if I'd have had the time!

Laura | 53 comments Mod
Jackie wrote: "Omg guys I LOVED IT. I honestly never thought I'd EVER read this book! I still remember when the book came out and I first read the cyborg thing in the synopsis, I was like "NOPE this isn't my cup ..."

See I wish I had paid attention and realised it WAS about cyborgs - would have read it sooner!

I wonder if, because we're reading it so many years later, that's why we find it predictable? Cinder was first published in 2012, where that "lost princess" trope wasn't a trope yet - it was just beginning. Maybe if we had read it back then we would have been surprised instead of finding it predictable??

I thought the same: really easy to read in one sitting, if you have the time!!