Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

LABYRINTH CHALLENGE > Keihi's Labyrinth Thread

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Keihi's Labyrinth

labyrinth1

Late one night while you were watching a small baby, after hours of listening to it cry, you said the fateful words:

"GOBLIN KING! GOBLIN KING!
WHEREVER YOU MAY BE,
TAKE THIS CHILD OF MINE FAR AWAY FROM ME!
I WISH...
I WISH...
I WISH THE GOBLINS WOULD COME TAKE YOU AWAY...
RIGHT NOW."

Completion post should have:

Task:
Book:
Link to review:
Finished Date:
How book fits:

message 2: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Beginning:

Suddenly the crying stops. You're worried and concerned as you creep towards the door. "Baby," you call out. "Why aren't you still crying?"

What just happened?

labyrinth012lu3

a. Read a book with genre main page showing Paranormal or Fantasy
b. Decide you don't really believe in the Goblin King and read a contemporary book

message 3: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:52AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 1

Task:
A
Book: The Boy Who Lost Fairyland (Fairyland, #4) by Catherynne M. Valente
Link to review: 5 stars
Finished date: 7/6/17
How book fits: Fantasy

message 4: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Goblin King

You creep into the room and find that the baby is gone!

Suddenly a strange man appears and introduces himself as, Jareth, The Goblin king and that he's done what you asked. He's taken the baby. Oh no! You didn't really mean it.

But, try as you may, Jareth won't bring the baby back.

He does, however, challenge you to come take the baby. He tells you to come to his world and make your way to the castle through the Goblin City.

a. Read a book with a building or door on the cover
b. Read a book with <250 pages

message 5: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:53AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 2

Task:
A
Book: From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury
Link to review: 2 stars
Finished date: 7/7/17
How book fits: There's a house on the cover

(It actually fits task B too, but I like A better :))

message 6: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments I love it! Reading a book that matches both choices and then picking one! lol Great idea (and good choice on the path too! ;D )

message 7: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Of course you are going in to get the baby and you tell him so.

No sooner than the words are uttered, the world begins to shake and you start to feel sick. Closing your eyes, you reach around to grab something, anything to keep from falling! When the world stops and your are no longer dizzy, you open your eyes. The air has changed, the world has changed.

Where are you? Looks like Jareth has brought you somewhere outside the Labyrinth.

hoggle spraying the fairies

You turn and there is a strange man. He introduces himself as Hoggle, Higgle, Hogwart, Hedgewart, Hogbrain, or something or other.

and He's spraying cute little fairies....that bite...
BUT he won't deter you, true adventurer, from finding that baby.

After a little chat, he FINALLY tells you where the entrance to the maze is and even kindly opens the doors for you.

Guess you should....go in? He poses the question:
Should you go left? Or right?

A. Read a book with a main theme around a lie or a character who tells a lie(s)
B. Read a book with a title, author or main character that starts with an "H"

message 8: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:53AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 3

Task:
B
Book: The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge
Link to review: 4 stars
Finished date: 7/11/17
How book fits: Written by Frances Hardinge

Again, this one fits both tasks (being pretty much built entirely around the theme of concealing the truth), but the second option seems safer :)

message 9: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments ha! I love your instinct to play it safe!! :D

message 10: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Lying Knights

The walls are tall and there are odd vines growing up and all around. You run a straight line for what feels like days.

Suddenly you realize - you're running right past TURNS!

You choose to turn left and right at will, picking up your pace and jogging now!

And just as suddenly, the scenery changes and you are in an area of high walls and flat sand stones.This isn't so hard. Continuing to jog and turn, you bump into two doors with talking knights:

images (2)

They promptly tell you:

One ALWAYS tells the truth and one ALWAYS lies.

a. read a book with something red on the cover
b. read a book with something blue on the cover

message 11: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:53AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments I sure hope I was luckier in my choise of the path than in my choise of the book.

Book 4

Task:
B
Book: Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys
Finished date: 7/11/17
How book fits: The cover is pretty much entirely blue :)

message 12: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Helping Hands

You confidently open the door and stroll forward, knowing you have made the correct choice. So suddenly falling through the floor startles you and makes you scream as you tumble down....

As you fall, you scream "help" and suddenly hands are all around grabbing you, breaking your fall. They stop you and say they are "Helping hands." They offer you the option: Up or Down

a. read a book where someone helps or is helpful
b. read a book with hand(s), finger(s) or arm on the cover

message 13: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:54AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 5

Task:
A
Book: The Seafarer's Kiss by Julia Ember
Link to review: 3 stars
Finished date: 7/13/17
How book fits: Ersel (the main character) helping her future love interest, Ragna, survive a shipwreck is one of the major plot points.

(In case this doesn't count, the cover has a total of three arms on it :))

message 14: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments (It absolutely counts! :D)

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments "Up," you tell them.

The hands grab and fumble as they attempt to change your direction and drag you up. Just when you think they will dislocate your shoulder (and you don't even want to think about all the bruises!) you shout out you've changed your mind!

Hands quickly form faces and ask you if you're sure.
You've been sure of few things in your life but this is definitely one of them!

"Yes, down! Please!" you shout as the hands release you and you begin to tumble and fall.

a. Read the 2nd book in a series
b. Read a standalone

message 16: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:54AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments (I'm confused, what are my choices here? "I'm sure I have to go down", and "I'm not sure but I guess I have to go down anyway"?)

message 17: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Jul 14, 2017 06:17AM) (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments (Yes, you want to go down.... :) it's the next step in the maze. The step above is just a side step in the maze but after you read this next book, you will get the next step..... I'm sick so I'm not sure if I'm answering your question or not. Please let me know if you're still not sure!! I'm driving most of today but I'll check back in tonight!)

message 18: by Keihi (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Yes, I got it, thank you so much! Hope you get better soon, getting sick in the summers sucks unbelievably :(

(By the way, I wanted to thank you for this challenge, it's super fun, I think this is my favorite reading challenge yet! <3)

message 19: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments yay!! I'm so glad you are liking it! I was worried it would be confusing and weird! lol :)

message 20: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:54AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 6

Task:
B
Book: Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee
Finished date: 7/16/17
How book fits: This is a standalong novel.

message 21: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Oubliette

You chose down, since your feet were already headed that way (much to the surprise of your helping hands. Was that the wrong way?)

After falling for forever, you finally land on dirt and a cover closes behind you. You're almost completely in the dark, the only light from the closed lid above you. A voice rings out and you realize it's that Hoggle-whatever named guy. Great.

He informs you this is an Oubliette. And for the cost of one shiny plastic bracelet on your wrist, he will show you the way out.

a. Read a book with a mostly black or gray cover
b. Read a book with a cover that has more than 3 colors on it

message 22: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:55AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 7

Task:
B
Book: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Finished date: 7/18/17
How book fits: More than three colors on the cover.

message 23: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Friendship

Sure, what's the bracelet compared to the dark, cobweb filled room you can't even see how to get out of? If Higwart can get you out of here, it's worth it!

You choose the bracelet with the least amount of memories and hand it over.

After he carefully puts it on his own wrist and takes a moment to admire it, Higgleton confidently pulls from his pocket a huge ring filled with more keys than you've ever seen! He sorts through one or two and walks over to a wall, pulls back some garbage and what could be blankets and shows a door that was hiding there all this time.

You begin to wonder if Hogglewart is really your friend or not. How did he know about this door?
And how did he manage to be in this Oubliette just when you needed him?

You shake it off. You need a friend in here, especially one this helpful.

a. read a book that starts with a letter in "HOGGLE"
b. read a book about friendship

message 24: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:55AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 8

Task:
B
Book: Momo by Michael Ende
Finished date: 7/20/17
How book fits: The friendship between Momo and Beppo is the most important relationship of the book, that motivates both of them throughout the story.

message 25: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments A New Friend

He opens the door and reveals a large open space. You are back to sand stone and dirt but there are tall hedges all around you.

In the distance you can hear the roar and rumble of a large creature. But as you twist and turn around the maze of green hedges, you see small goblins with biting critters on sticks. This can't be good. As you continue to look, you realize they have a very large beast tied up a pole and they are using these biting critters to hurt him.

Hoggle flees because he's terrified. He clarifies: he's a coward.

"Well, I'm not afraid," you mutter. "Everything isn't always what it seems in this place."

You look around, find some stones and start throwing them at the little guys with sticks and critters. As rock after rock pound into them from your awesome throwing arm, you hear them yell "Retreat! RETREAT!"

After they are gone, you approach the beast and learn that his name is Ludo. You gently let him down and tell him you are friends. It'll be good to have a friend on your path.

You dust him off and, together, set off to continue towards the Goblin City and Jareth. And, to the baby.

a. read a book that stars with any letter in: LUDO
b. read a book about bullying or that has a bully in it

message 26: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:55AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 9

Task:
A
Book: Dogsbody by Diana Wynne Jones
Finished date: 7/24/17
How book fits: Starts with a D

message 27: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Door Knockers

It only takes a turn or two to stumble on a new oddity in this place.
More doors. Only these doors have large heads on the front.

The one to the left has a large ring that goes from ear to ear.
The one to the right, has a large ring held in his mouth.

Suddenly, the one to the left screams out, "It's very rude to stare!"

Oh no, they talk. You apologize but one says he can't hear you and the other mumbles incoherently around the metal ring. Ugh. They argue back and forth while you ask Ludo which door you should go through.

You don't really want to see where these lead, but what choice do you have? Ludo doesn't have any idea either.

"Knock and the door will open" the knockers tell you. Hopefully this one ends better than the last one.

a. Read a book with an ear on the cover
b. Read a book with a mouth on the cover

message 28: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:55AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 10

Task:
B
Book: Пантера by Brecht Evens
Finished date: 7/25/17
How book fits: There are two mouths one the cover. (There are tree ears as well, but I think B is a better choice.)

message 29: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Bog of Eternal Stench

The door slowly creeks open and you and Ludo both walk through. And you are greeted with a green space and path. It's the first time this area actually looks like home.

The door loudly bangs closed behind you. I guess there is only one way to go now.

You continue walking down the patch with Ludo. It's beginning to feel like hours. There aren't any turns or twist, just a straight path that surrounds you with rocks and vines and moss.

Up ahead, Hoghead appears again. Where did he come from? You feel like you've been walking forever. You're so hungry you're losing focus and strength but you're so glad to see him, you go to hug him and the floor drops out from below you. You are sliding and trying to grab on to anything and suddenly stumble out into a new area.

Bog_of_Eternal_Stench

Where have you landed?? The smell hits you even before the sounds. Is that....farting?

Hoggle quickly informs you it's the Bog of Eternal Stench. It's more horrible than you thought it could ever be. You know you can't even step a single toe into the water or you'll never get the smell off.
Ahead you see a path and a bridge but you must get across using the rocks first.

a. read a book with a road trip it in
b. read a book with a battle or duel in it

message 30: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:56AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 11

Task:
B
Book: Sabriel (Abhorsen, #1) by Garth Nix
Finished date: 7/29/17
How book fits: There are lots of battles with assorted Dead, and an epic final battle between Sabriel and Kerrigor.

message 31: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Sir Didymus and Ambrosius

A dog riding.....a dog suddenly appears as you try to cross the bridge. He introduces himself as Artemis and his dog as Ambrosius.

He says you cannot cross his bridge because he is sworn to protect it. As you clarify and argue and tell him your story about the baby and the Goblin King, he slowly relents and swears to help and fight by your side. He's a true knight and will follow you anywhere, knowing that you are noble and good. Wow, now you have 3 friends on the trail with you!

a. Read a book where a character has a sibling
b. Read a book your friend rated 2 or less stars

message 32: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:56AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 12

Task:
A
Book: Одеяла by Craig Thompson
Finished date: 7/31/17
How book fits: Craig, the protagonist, has a brother, Phil. Raina also has three siblings.

message 33: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Aug 04, 2017 02:57PM) (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments The Peach

Artemis riding his dog crosses the bridge first. Then you make your way and watch Ludo and Huggle carefully make their way across as well. You follow the path after Sir Didymus confirms you are on the way to the castle in the Goblin City.

But you've been walking forever again, stumbling along tired and starving. You're not even sure you can keep going.

download (5)

Suddenly Hoggle says he has something that might help. There is a peach in your hand. Where did that come from?

a. read a book that has something yellow or orange on the cover
b. read a book with food or drink on the cover

message 34: by Keihi (last edited Aug 01, 2017 11:25PM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments A couple of questions:

This cover has several little bottles and cups on it, would that count as drink?
Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

And why do you call Sir Didymus 'Artemis'?

message 35: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Keihi wrote: "A couple of questions:

This cover has several little bottles and cups on it, would that count as drink?
Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye

And why do you call Sir Didymus 'Artemis'?"

sorry for the delay, the goodreads issues made this area so confusing with all of the threads showing new posts and only some being accurate....ugh... lol

YES! Thank you! I did mess up the names in this one! I'll fix it

and your book works perfectly! I hope it's good!

message 36: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:56AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 13

Task:
A
Book: Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye
Finished date: 8/7/17
How book fits: We established that bottles and cups on the cover count as "drink" :)

message 37: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments You're so hungry, how can you stop yourself from eating the peach? You greedily take a huge bite and begin chewing. It's sweet and soft and so full of flavor. But your head suddenly feels light....it's hard to keep standing.

"I feel strange. Hoggle, what have you done," you ask.

Suddenly the spinning in your head is too much.....and you close your eyes.

Where were you? What were you doing? You're so disoriented you don't remember. Opening your eyes, you find yourself on a dance floor. You are dressed up and feel your hair - yes, it's completely styled.

dancing

You look around and notice everyone around you are wearing masks. This must be a masquerade. You've always wanted to go to one of these but were always told you were too young. How did you get here?

Suddenly someone appears before you. You recognize him. He takes your hand and starts to spin you around. Did you want to dance with him? You don't really remember.

a. read a book with a beautiful dress on the cover
b. read a book with a white cover

message 38: by Keihi (new)

Keihi | 133 comments A quick question again: does this count as white enough cover?
Breaking Legacies by Zoe Reed or Apple und Rain by Sarah Crossan

message 39: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Yes, either would work!

message 40: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:57AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 14

Task:
B
Book: Apple and Rain by Sarah Crossan
Finished date: 8/10/17
How book fits: The cover is mostly white :)

message 41: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments This strange man is mumbling words into your ear and holding you light but close. Is he singing to you?

How sweet. But why do the masks start to look scary? And the spinning...you don't want to stay here. It's starting to make you dizzy again.

Wait, dizzy. Weren't you dizzy before you got here?

Maybe you don't want to be here anymore.

a. read another book with a white cover
b. read a book with a title that starts with one of the letters in: LABYRINTH

message 42: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:57AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 15

Task:
A
Book: The Secret Horses of Briar Hill by Megan Shepherd
Finished date: 8/11/17
How book fits: Again, the cover is mostly white

message 43: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Goblin City: Outer Ring

You try to shake them off and you can't! No, this isn't how this will end. You are starting to pass out and can't keep your eyes open. You close them, realizing you have lost.

Suddenly, you feel like you're falling. What happened? Why are falling?

a. Read a book with sky on the cover
b. Read a book with grass or trees on the cover

message 44: by Keihi (last edited Aug 13, 2017 12:57AM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 16

Task:
A
Book: Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
Link to review: 1 star
Finished date: 8/12/17
How book fits: There's sky on the cover.

(Hey, I finally managed to choose a book that fits both tasks again (I kinda hated it, but at least that was a sign to finally finish it and be done with it, it was clogging up my "currently reading" shelf since December), and I honestly have no clue what may come of either choice, so I hope my guess was more or less lucky :))

message 45: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments (ha! I love when you have one that covers both! Sorry it was a dud :( I hate that.... But YAY to clearing out that TBR!! WOOHOO!!)

message 46: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Aug 14, 2017 06:14PM) (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments Goblin City

As you land, you're still a bit dizzy. Woah, did you land in....garbage? There are mounds and mounds of garbage - senseless discarded things like stuffed animals and kids toys.

You hear your friends calling your name! As you stand up, stumble around and make your way over there, you realize Ludo, Sir Didymus, Ambrosius, and Hoggle are all waiting for you in front of a door! They have done it!

They have found the entrance to the Goblin City!

It's easy to slip past the sleeping guard and get through the first doorway. However, the second doorway, you realize you've been noticed - Jareth knows you are here.

The walls rumble, they move and shake. And suddenly they become a huge metal machine that asks:

"WHO GOES THERE?" as it readies a massive ax and starts swinging! You must fight to get past, you and your friends!

a. read a book that starts with any letter in "WHO GOES THERE"
b. Read a book with anything that can be used as a weapon on the cover

message 47: by Keihi (last edited Aug 25, 2017 01:11PM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 17

Task:
B
Book: Saga, Vol. 5 (Saga, #5) by Brian K. Vaughan
Finished date: 8/15/17
How book fits: Gwen is holding a spear on the cover :)

(Though it does start with an S :))

message 48: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments As you scramble for weapons, Hoggle quickly crawls up and pulls the goblin out of the machine! He then shuts the machine down and jumps back down.

But your delay for weapons has allowed other goblins to fill the city!

You run around, swinging your weapons and fighting anything that moves. But there are so many goblins and not enough weapons in the world. Hoggle opens a doorway and you and your friends run into a house.

Ludo is so big he easily breaks off the roof and he throws it down on the goblins below. As you continue to hand him things to throw out, you finally feel like you might win this!

A. A book with a cover with 2 or more people
B. A book with a 2 or 3 in the page count

message 49: by Keihi (last edited Aug 25, 2017 01:11PM) (new)

Keihi | 133 comments Book 18

Task:
A
Book: Пентакль by Henry Lion Oldie
Finished date: 8/20/17
How book fits: There are at least four people on the cover.

message 50: by Trisha, lives on coffee (last edited Aug 20, 2017 04:07PM) (new)

Trisha | 31379 comments One Last Labyrinth

Finally you've laid waste to all those outside the house. Ludo is tired but he's done it! You all have.

Heading back out, You see a doorway just a small ways off and quickly grab your friends and run before you bump in to any other creatures! To your surprise, the door opens easily and you realize....it's open to a staircase.

Closing the door behind you, you realize: THIS is it. THIS is the way to the Goblin City castle.

And you know you must go alone. You turn to tell your friends and let them know "This is how it's done."
Hoggle, Ludo, Sir Didymus - they don't like it but they get it.

Your first steps up the stairs, you spot Jareth. He's in here with you but he quickly walks away.

but so is the baby. You can do this. You just have to find your way to the top.

One Last Maze.

a. Read a book that stars with any letter in MAZE
b. Read a book with a mode of transportation on the cover (be creative - wings, feet, hands, etc)

« previous 1