Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Serieses! > Someone Renumbered my Series

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Gayle | 35 comments I'm getting complaints from readers that the Goodreads numbering for my Portland Storm series doesn't line up with the numbering at any retailer or my website. The last time I looked, everything was numbered correctly, but someone has since gone in and renumbered everything so that they don't line up.

I understand that Goodreads typically only gives novellas within a series a decimal number instead of a whole number, but since retailers (specifically Amazon) does not allow for decimal numbering and insists on whole numbers, this creates confusion for readers.

I had specifically worked with a Goodreads librarian in the past to renumber the series so that the Goodreads numbering matched up with the retailer numbering for my Portland Storm series. Someone has now gone in and renumbered them with decimal numbering, which is CONFUSING MY READERS. I'm getting numerous emails from readers who are confused about the series order because books aren't listed the same way here, at Goodreads, as they are on the retailer sites and on my website.

Can this please be corrected? And, by the way, I find this to be a ridiculous rule that makes no sense. Why should the numbering of a series at Goodreads not reflect the numbering of the same series as it is listed on every retailer and on the author's website?

message 2: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:20PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4198 comments Catherine wrote: "I'm getting complaints from readers that the Goodreads numbering for my Portland Storm series doesn't line up with the numbering at any retailer or my website. The last time I looked, everything wa..."

Unfortunately, this isn't something a librarian can help you with. It would be against policy to number in a way that doesn't reflect GR standards, outlined here https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4....

Also, the books have had the current numbering since last year, so no one has changed them recently. Rivka advised you of the series numbering policy here, and it appears the series order hasn't changed since then.

message 3: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Gayle | 35 comments Cassandra wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I'm getting complaints from readers that the Goodreads numbering for my Portland Storm series doesn't line up with the numbering at any retailer or my website. The last time I loo..."

Can I officially register a complaint against Goodreads' ridiculous standards in this instance? Or is there a way I can denote something on my series, here at Goodreads, to let readers know that it is not my fault that Goodreads has such an idiotic policy that causes confusion?

message 4: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:26PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4198 comments Catherine wrote: "Cassandra wrote: "Catherine wrote: "I'm getting complaints from readers that the Goodreads numbering for my Portland Storm series doesn't line up with the numbering at any retailer or my website. T..."

You can contact support here https://www.goodreads.com/about/conta..., or post in the Feedback Group here https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/....

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:30PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 4592 comments According to the librarian log, the last edit on that series was in Oct 2016.

message 6: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Gayle | 35 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "According to the librarian log, the last edit on that series was in Oct 2016."

It happened sometime in the last month or so. The last time I looked, everything was numbered to match retailers and my website.

message 7: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:46PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4198 comments Catherine wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "According to the librarian log, the last edit on that series was in Oct 2016."

It happened sometime in the last month or so. The last time I looked, everything was numbe..."

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "According to the librarian log, the last edit on that series was in Oct 2016."

I saw that date for editions being added and deleted, and the title edits (which include the current series numbering) look like last summer for the most part.

In both cases, no recent changes have been made, and certainly not in the last month.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 2630 comments If the order of the books is the same either way, why would it be confusing?

message 9: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Gayle | 35 comments Scott wrote: "If the order of the books is the same either way, why would it be confusing?"

Because the book that releases this week is listed as book 16 at all retailers, but book 11 at Goodreads (and ONLY at Goodreads). Or if they're discussing the book with other readers on Facebook, and they talk about a book being book 10 in the series, is it really book 10, or is it book 15? They think they've missed out on some of the books in the series.

message 10: by Cassandra (last edited Jun 24, 2017 01:59PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4198 comments Catherine wrote: "Scott wrote: "If the order of the books is the same either way, why would it be confusing?"

Because the book that releases this week is listed as book 16 at all retailers, but book 11 at Goodreads..."

No matter your feelings, there is nothing else that a librarian can do to help you; we are volunteers, and cannot make edits contrary to policy. Please contact support or post in the feedback group as I noted above if you need anything further.

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott | 2630 comments Catherine wrote: "Because the book that releases this week is listed as book 16 at all retailers, but book 11 at Goodreads (and ONLY at Goodreads). Or if they're discussing the book with other readers on Facebook, and they talk about a book being book 10 in the series, is it really book 10, or is it book 15?"

If only there were some simple solution, like referring to the book by its title.

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 9857 comments Scott, exactly what I was thinking. *snigger* I never refer to books by their numbers unless its something like the Charley Davidson series or the Stephanie Plum series both of which use the numbers in their titles.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.