'Salem's Lot 'Salem's Lot discussion

Halloween, horror lovers...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I just wanted to post this to say I've started a new Halloween group, inspired by this lovely community at Goodreads.com. It's a halloween/hoor book-centric group obviously but I want to expand it to discuss all aspects of Halloween.

The group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

Hope to see you all there.

Rachel Hall Tried to follow the link to the group but it wasn't working...would be totally interested though, not only do I love most things horror but Halloween and dias de los muertos are probably my two favorite holidays! I actually just finished reading Salem's lot for the first time to get me into the spirit of the season and really enjoyed it!

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Please include me on the invite once the link is working. I would love to join this group!

Carl This link was created on Aug 03rd 2009 folks. I very much doubt it will be alive any time soon!

Sandy Sounds like a fun time! if the old link doesn't work, maybe someone will create a new one.

Doug Christi Since we're all here, what are your thoughts on the book. In my opinion, the second best vampire story ever written, (second to I Am Legend, and narrowly edging out Dracula).

Zoran Krušvar I liked the book, but i prefere I Am Legend and Fevre Dream.

Dracula is a classic, but if it weren't written back then, I wouldn't say it's as good.

Zoran Krušvar Oh, yes... I have this vampire story and I'm trying to get people to read it... it's a short one so if you have a minute to spare, take a quick look:
http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/3...

Sandy I liked it a lot but it didn't follow the traditional "hollywood" vampire legends which sent me to the library to look them up. This book follows the old vampire legends much more closely than other vampire stories.

message 10: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug Christi The book is a classic because SK was still searching for his voice and worked extremely hard to make it scary. He succeeded. His earlier works showed much more effort on his part than some of the newer offerings.

message 11: by Holly (new)

Holly Doug wrote: "The book is a classic because SK was still searching for his voice and worked extremely hard to make it scary. He succeeded. His earlier works showed much more effort on his part than some of the n..."

Doug wrote: "The book is a classic because SK was still searching for his voice and worked extremely hard to make it scary. He succeeded. His earlier works showed much more effort on his part than some of the n..."
As I recall, this book scared me when I first read it....I was probably 15 or 16. These days I have no patience with vampire stories. I agree that I liked Stephen King's earlier work better than his more recent stuff. After reading "Gerald's Game" I sort of gave up on him.....it was like watching twelve hours of Dr Phil to get one little microscopic scare.

message 12: by Doug (new) - rated it 5 stars

Doug Christi Holly wrote: "Doug wrote: "The book is a classic because SK was still searching for his voice and worked extremely hard to make it scary. He succeeded. His earlier works showed much more effort on his part than ..."

You're exactly right. With Gerald's Game and thereafter, SK just turned in pages and rode the waves of his fame. I did enjoy Bag of Bones and the Dark Tower series, (although two of the books are worthless), and I did like 11-22-63. It looks as if he is trying harder again, or maybe he has found a new enthusiasm for writing.

message 13: by Rick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rick Crawford This post will be very biased, I read all things Stephen King. Salem's Lot was the first. Bought it when it was published in 1975 without knowing anything about the author. I was hooked, haven't missed one since.The style and idiosycrasies are still evident in his current writings. Haven't loved them all, but have most. King's caracter development along with the geographical development is what I like about his books.When you finish an SK book you know the folks in it well enough to know why they did what they did. You also know the minor characters as well as the setting. To me Salem's Lot is the quintessential vampire story. In Steve's words, vampires are not nice.I do read much more than SK but might not if he published 10 to 12 a year.

Long days and pleasant nights.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

This was the most slowest book I have read got to page 84 and gave up. Disney has more horror than this..

message 15: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Swike I agree Rick. I also became a fan with Salem's Lot and Carrie and continued. I have read over twenty Stephen King books and yet it would take quite a while to read his entire collection, since I also read more than just SK.

Michael Rick wrote: "This post will be very biased, I read all things Stephen King. Salem's Lot was the first. Bought it when it was published in 1975 without knowing anything about the author. I was hooked, haven't mi..."

"To me Salem's Lot is the quintessential vampire story"--I totally agree with you.

message 17: by Colleen (last edited Nov 05, 2013 05:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Colleen I read 'Salem's Lot in honor of October, the spooky month this year as I think even reading should embrace the season. I think I already read it a number of years ago, but that's what you get! It was great horror and King is a brilliant, talented writer. I should read more of what he's got out there, including his newer novels look good. If I get to The Shining I'm going to read Doctor Sleep. Looks like a lot of good suggestions in this thread.