Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Free raffle to win a Janny Wurts art calendar!

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Hi everyone,

To express her thanks to us for picking To Ride Hell's Chasm as our October Fantasy Book of the Month, author Janny Wurts has very generously offered another prize for one lucky group member. This time, you have the chance to win a 2010 calendar featuring Janny's art! You can see the calendar here: http://www.tidemarkpress.com/ (search for "Myth and magic").

And this time I thought we'd do something different. Instead of voting in a poll, this time you can enter the free raffle by replying to this message and including a link to your favorite piece of fantasy art or favorite fantasy book cover. I thought this would be a neat way for us to find out about fantasy art work.

We'll randomly pick a winner next Monday, so please post your entry before August 10th.

Stefan

PS Only one entry per person, void where prohibited, batteries not included, keep arms and legs inside carriage at all times, please exercise caution when operating heavy machinery.

message 2: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Let me add that I'm touched, and can't wait to share the book's inside story with those who care to participate.

The calendar: is magical creatures of the "prettified" and decorative sort - and is not in related to the book - though quotations from stories appear inside, all but one spot illustration by the calendar grid were painted for other purposes.

This is a great group, and perhaps I should add: you may spindle, fold, or mutilate, but this calendar was not devised to be ingested. Fasten your seatbelts, and have a great flight!

message 3: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments My all-time favorite cover artist is Michael Whelan and the cover to Stone of Farewell (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #2) by Tad Williams is probably my favorite of his many covers: http://michaelwhelan.com/catalog/coll...

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) I have many favourite covers and many favourite fantasy artists (who also do great Sci Fi covers!). One of my current favourites is Todd Lockwood. He rates pretty highly with me because he does a lot of work for Wizards of the Coast (D&D) and R.A. Salvatore (Long live Drizzt). Some of my favourite covers of his, however, were those he did for Tobias Buckell's books. Check out his other work though, particularly the series he did for Salvatore's latest few - Thousand Orcs and The Orc King. Drizzt at his best!

Here's my link: http://www.tobiasbuckell.com/2006/08/...

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Very cool! Thanks, Janny!

Frank Frazetta got me interested in reading. I think it was this book cover:
http://frankfrazetta.org/viewimage.ph...
&/or this one:
http://frankfrazetta.org/viewimage.ph...
Both were covers for the Lancer editions of Conan (the Warrior & Usurper, respectively) that my dad had gotten. I just HAD to read the story behind these pictures!!!

message 6: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments Oh, this is a hard one for me. I love Michael Whelan's stuff, but most SF/F cover art is a turn-off for me, I hate to say.

That said, I follow the blog (http://www.tlcillustration.blogspot.com/) of a budding Fantasy artist: Tara Larson Chang and I really like her art. Too bad I've never seen it on a fantasy book of the type I read... Here is my favorite that's on her website:

http://www.taralarsenchang.com/fantas...

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) I enjoy Dave McKean's art. It's different, rather spooky in nature. He's done lots of work in literature, movies, trading cards, and CD covers, but is most well known for contributing with Neil Gaiman on several books and comics.

http://www.mckean-art.co.uk/

The Wolves in the Walls by Neil Gaiman Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Book 4) by Stephen King [image error] The Sandman Companion A Dreamer's Guide to the Award-winning Comics Series by Hy Bender Dustcovers The Collected Sandman Covers 1989-1996 by Dave McKean The Day I Swapped My Dad for Two Goldfish by Neil Gaiman

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry (rocalisa) | 486 comments I'm currently rereading Anne Bishop's The Invisible Ring and I just love the new covers for her Black Jewels books.

Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2) by Anne Bishop Queen of the Darkness (The Black Jewels, #3) by Anne Bishop [image error] Dreams Made Flesh (The Black Jewels, #5) by Anne Bishop Tangled Webs (The Black Jewels, #6) by Anne Bishop The Shadow Queen (The Black Jewels, #7) by Anne Bishop

The cover art for the next one (Shalador's Lady, due out next March) has just gone up on Anne Bishop's website: www.annebishop.com

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 55 comments I couldn't even limit myself to 100! I don't know how to do links so just a slew of remembered names. Janny herself of course! Don Maitz (what a household that must be)Frank Frazetta, Roger Dean, Patrick Woodroffe, Rodney Mathews(last years Alice in Wonderland was great), Geoff Taylor, Chris Achilleos, Thomas Canty, Ken Kelly, Michael Whelan, Giger, Brian Froud, Alan Lee, John Jude Palencar, Kinuko Craft, Vincent Chong, Brom, Greg Spalenka, Dave McKean, Gris Grimly, Charles Vess, David Wyatt, John Picacio, Victoria Lee, Tony DiTerlizzi, Zdenko Basic and a million more.

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 55 comments Victoria Lee should be Virginia Lee! (daughter of Alan Lee and just as talented) And I just remembered John Howe.

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Bill wrote: "I couldn't even limit myself to 100! I don't know how to do links so just a slew of remembered names. Janny herself of course! Don Maitz (what a household that must be)Frank Frazetta, Roger Dean, P..."

My GOSH Bill - you are well aware of the depth of the field, indeed - your list - well, you'd drool over our artbook shelf!!! We have them all...many signed. Are you from Britain to know so many of those opening names? Or just art crazy? Yes, I'm curious!

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill (reedye) | 55 comments Yes Janny, Guilty as charged. Cambridgeshire in the UK. You know, I wouldn't have said I was art crazy but I guess I may well be. I am book crazy and too close to 50 so that's a lot of years with a lot of covers. Plus my taste is wide like my reading. I remember spending hours sometimes when a new Maitz appeared trying to find the signature. I remember swearing at him a bit too as I hunted for those 5 letters. You can pass that on. Funny now I think of it. It did make me look at everything else in much more detail though. I'm curious about the 'Britain' question. Those names (Dean/Woodroffe/Matthews?)not well known in the US?

message 13: by Janny (last edited Aug 04, 2009 10:31AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Bill wrote: "Yes Janny, Guilty as charged. Cambridgeshire in the UK. You know, I wouldn't have said I was art crazy but I guess I may well be. I am book crazy and too close to 50 so that's a lot of years with a..."

Bill, sadly, lately, I think not. The artists know, of course. But too many times I've mentioned Roger Dean (the best known of them) and gotten blank stares...his Yes album covers - could the awareness be fading?

The old editions of Paper Tiger before it was sold to another owner, and went crazy crooked - well, they're not in print anymore, superceded by other things - most of the late editions of Spectra have turned to horror, comic art, and alot of computer work - not bad stuff, some is totally awesome - just different, and many of the artists you've listed don't submit there.

Patrick Woodroffe's books - my copies are falling apart! I found his stuff early on, and spent hours and hours pouring over it - in fact, all on your list are featured here. We haven't quit appreciating...and of course when we were in Britain, we got to meet a lot of that lineup, all at once. The talk at that table was fascinating.

Don is at fault (grin) for sideswiping Fred Gambino into the film/animated industry (suggested his name to a director, who jumped!)...Fred was living over here for a lot of time, working on stuff for DNA productions (that would by Ant Bully and Jimmy Neutron).

The whole cover art industry has shifted, massively, since those artists were prominent. Now, many covers are either graphic or photographic, or turned to computer generated, which is fine - just the computer art often leans on morphed photos, and the list you brought up DREW EVERYTHING. The imagination and range of experimentation was, for its period, quite stunning.

message 14: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Damn, Janny, when I read Stefan's post I wondered if I could get away with posting a Roger Dean link, even though it's not the cover of any fantasy fiction. Now either I can't or I have to, so here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-med...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jl-incro...

It's great fantasy art and I've loved his style since "The Magician's Birthday"

message 15: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 170 comments Well, clearly I have no clue. Or maybe the books I buy just aren't the ones with good cover art? It seems most of mine have slightly embarassing and/or completely irrelevant cover art or basically none at all (i.e. just a symbol or something).

I'm looking forward to investigating the links you've all posted and learning a thing or two.

Thanks, Stefan, for starting this topic. And thanks Janny, for donating your calendar.

message 16: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Ron wrote: "Damn, Janny, when I read Stefan's post I wondered if I could get away with posting a Roger Dean link, even though it's not the cover of any fantasy fiction. Now either I can't or I have to, so here..."

Ron, did you know Roger Dean actually has a new art book, out last year? The title is Dragon's Dream Roger Dean, and we've got it, Very Stunning!

message 17: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Diane wrote: "Well, clearly I have no clue. Or maybe the books I buy just aren't the ones with good cover art? It seems most of mine have slightly embarassing and/or completely irrelevant cover art or basically ..."

Diane - you are most welcome.

message 18: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta | 178 comments Susan Seddon Boulet would be an artist I really enjoy the coverart of. She did the coverart for
[image error] The Wood Wife and The Fox Woman by Kij Johnson The Fox Woman.

message 19: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Janny wrote: "Ron wrote: "Damn, Janny, when I read Stefan's post I wondered if I could get away with posting a Roger Dean link, even though it's not the cover of any fantasy fiction. Now either I can't or I have to..."
Ron, did you know Roger Dean actually has a new art book, out last year? The title is Dragon's Dream Roger Dean, and we've got it, Very Stunning!

No, I didn't know that, but I'll certainly look for it now; thanks, Janny!

message 20: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

Last day to enter this raffle! Details are in the top post.

message 21: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

I assigned all the entries a random number, then asked Janny to pick a number ... aaaand the winner of this raffle is...

*drum roll*

Ron!

Congratulations to Ron, and again thanks to Janny for generously offering a prize. Hopefully we'll be able to have more raffles like this in the future!

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Congrats, Ron...

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Darn! Now I have to buy my own. Congrats, Ron!

message 24: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Well I - I'm stunned. Thank you very much, Janny and Stefan, and also for the congratulations all. I can hardly say how pleased I am by this - it's made a pretty blah weekend into something quite special. I shall be quite unbearable for a few days. Thanks again!
Ron

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (sisimka) Congrats Ron! I think we can all appreciate how much you'll enjoy this prize. :)

message 26: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3030 comments Mod
It's always fun to win something! Congrats, Ron!

message 27: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Thank you, everyone, for participating and for being such a superb group.

Congrats, Ron, your signed calendar is now packed ready to go. I should be mailing it off Wednesday, on my scheduled errand run. Sorry it could not have gone last week, my music lesson was canceled, so I did not go out. We live a bit distant from the post office, that's why last week's errands were deferred.

Expect to see your well won goody very soon! Enjoy, with my compliments.

message 28: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments Thank you, Janny, I am looking forward to it very much. What kind of lessons are you taking?

message 29: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I've had the privilege of lessons from a world class bagpipe instructor, for many years now - for ten years (after college) when he was teaching in Delaware (I used to drive an hour each way once weekly from my home in Pennsylvania) I moved, which ended the fun - until he retired here, so I've gone back for the past ten years, or so, again.

He is the master musician that's mentioned in the dedication in Grand Conspiracy.

message 30: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Listen to an interview with Janny at http://redroom.com
She got the front page spot. It's the July 21, 2009 interview of Janny Wurts by Gail Martin, author of Ghost in the Machine.

message 31: by Bill (new)

Bill Hi Janny, just thought I'd let you know I just ordered one of your calendars from Tide-Mark. It looks awesome...everybody else should order one!

message 32: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Hey Bill - cool! I hope you enjoy it!

Jim - thanks for that. If anyone's interested, the interview talks about the mistaken perceptions of fantasy literature - and how the imagination is marginalized, and even how science disallows the existence of data that makes accepted paradigms uncomfortable.

Ron - your calendar is on its way - let us hope customs doesn't sit on it! I marked it 'gift' so let's hope not!

message 33: by Ron (last edited Aug 20, 2009 11:29AM) (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments That's great news Janny, I can't thank you enough. Canadian Customs - I don't know what to say. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're insufferable dolts. To quote Jenny Holzer, "Abuse of power comes as no surprise." But we'll hope this is one of the good times. (Notice how i carefully don't say 'What's the worst they could do?' Oh, dammit.)

edit: sorry, did that sound bitter?

message 34: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I was surprised by how high the rate is to mail something to Canada. Canada is one of the highest & it's a neighbor. I've mailed books all over the world & it's $5 to Japan, $6 or so to most of Europe, but $8 to South Africa or Canada. I guess that's because of the long, empty areas the mail service has to cover?

message 35: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Postage for everything has gotten UGLY...I mailed one hardcover book to New Zealand as a prize two or three years ago - fifty six bucks! I don't like to 'limit' a prize raffle, but that one was a 2x4 to the head kinda shock.

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Ouch! Thanks for the warning. I haven't mailed anything to Australia or NZ yet. I do have my BookMooch account set to 'ask first' for out of country swaps. I'll make sure to double check those first.

message 37: by Kelly (last edited Aug 20, 2009 12:31PM) (new)

Kelly (sisimka) All my family is in Australia, so when I start my Christmas shopping I mentally add $50 to the price tag of whatever I'm buying to cover shipping...

What really hurts is that I used to shop in September and mail by sea, which was about half the cost and took up to 3 months. Becuase of 9/11 they no longer carry mail by sea, everything has to go air, so now I try to limit the size of my packages.

Good things come in small packages, right?

message 38: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments I mailed a Christmas present to two dear friends in Australia "air" and had it take 9 months!!! We'd assumed the stuff got clipped in customs, but no, it bounced in about Sept the following year. I'd had it shipped direct from the mail order, and sent in early November. Sigh.

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Sheesh, you'd think the place was halfway around the world or something!

;-)

message 40: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new)

My brother, who lives in the Netherlands, sent out the invitation to his wedding in one of those tubes you store and send posters in. It was a lovely invitation, designed by a local artist, perfect to commemorate a memorable event in his life. Sadly, it arrived here in San Diego more than 6 months after the wedding took place. Ah well.

message 41: by Grimward (last edited Aug 30, 2009 12:13AM) (new)

Grimward | 2 comments Stefan wrote: "Hi everyone,

To express her thanks to us for picking To Ride Hell's Chasm as our October Fantasy Book of the Month, author Janny Wurts has very generously offered anot..."

I like cover art that does a good job of bringing themes, sub-plots or even the entire plot into view. Janny's original cover for Traitor's Knot, for example, is among my favorites, depicting a specific scene but also representing the conflict between Davien and Arithon in a "snapshot". My favorite of all time is probably Larry Elmore's work on the original cover of Weis and Hickman's Time of the Twins, Book 1 of Dragonlance Legends series. It's in a gallery on his site, second row, the last image on the right.

http://www.larryelmore.com/galleries_...

Raistlin's malevolent purpose and Crysania's wistful uncertainty are perfectly on display.

P.S. I've loved Roger Dean's stuff since since the Yes album covers, but the cover of the first Asia album blew me away.

P.P.S. The Elmore work is an ironic choice, if you listen to Janny's recent interview, but there's no help for it!

message 42: by Ron (new)

Ron (ronbacardi) | 302 comments WOO-HOO! The calendar has arrived, brought right to the door this morning by our ever-cheerful and -polite Canada Post. It's bee-YOOtiful! Janny, what glorious colour you use! Thank you again, you make me actually look forward to January (not usually in my top ten months). And may I add, Woo-Hoo!

message 43: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 1003 comments Ron, so delighted to hear the package arrived, and that it gave you a thrill! Have a wonder filled and joyful 2010.