The Gunroom discussion

The Butcher's Bill

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 22 comments Maybe everyone else already knows about this, but I only recently ran across this very cool reference document for the Aubrey/Maturin series, which can be downloaded free as a .pdf file from http://www.patrickobrian.com/butchersbill.htm.

It's a listing of statistics for the series. For each book it tallies injuries, deaths, actions, prizes taken, duels, etc. It also lists the crew complement for each ship as well as every character met or mentioned in the book.

I knew that some variation of the phrase "There is not a moment to lose" was used quite a lot in the series (170 times) but I had not picked up on the fact that Aubrey so often says "There you are!" when he sees Maturin (65 times).

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Collins (jamie_goodreads) | 22 comments I'm impressed that he's giving it away for free. There's a similar compendium, organized alphabetically, for sale called Persons, Animals, Ships and Cannon in the Aubrey-Maturin Sea Novels of Patrick O'Brian.

message 3: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) | 19 comments Oh wow. That is so damn cool. Thanks for the link Jamie.