Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Best romantic scene

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments I was thinking that this month it may be fun to share some of the romantic passages from our books we are reading. Passages that make you wish that it was you in the story. For me romance is all about escaping from real life into another world... without work or kids :).

Although this book is not really a romance book, I read it for the challenge and I loved the way the author set up the scene.

Beside a Burning Sea by John Shors...
Reaching from behind him, Akira felt for an orchid that he had laid upon the ground. Finding it, he placed it in his hands and rolled it vigorously between his palms until the flower's fragrance seeped into his skin. he then reached around her to massage her face. His forefingers traced the curves of her eyes and nose and lips. Annie kissed his fingers as they passed, and suddenly unable to bear the distance between the, she turned around, her hands rising to remove his blindfold.
No one had ever touched Annie as Akira had, and her eyes were drawn to his fingers. "I've been...I've searched for you for so long,' she whispered, simultaneously vulnerable and potent, intoxicated with new-found emotions. "I didn't think you existed."

message 2: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments Tara wrote: "I was thinking that this month it may be fun to share some of the romantic passages from our books we are reading. Passages that make you wish that it was you in the story. For me romance is all ..."

Wow...ok, now I really want to read this book! You have me hooked!

message 3: by Cam (new)

Cam Great idea Tara. And Wow indeed....

message 4: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1004 comments Great idea, Tara. And what a great scene to start us off!

message 5: by Cam (new)

Cam This is from Eucalyptus - By Murray Bail
To Ellen he felt like a perpetual warm wind which exerted a steady pleasant sort of pressure over different parts of her body, pressing her dress against the hollows; and the way too he easily changed the subject was like the wind, the way it simply shifted direction, at the same time constantly surrounding her.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (lheeney) I love it...very romantic scenes! I'll have to go back and pick one from my last book.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura (lheeney) From Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos.

This might not sound earth-shattering to you, so fabulously clever or romantic, but trust me when I tell you that it was. Right from the start, we just had a cadence, an intuitive rhythym that I might possibly compare to the sixth sense that jazz musicians sometimes have when they're playing together if I knew the first thing about jazz. You've seen Tracy/Hepburn movies, yes? It was the conversation I'd been waiting for all my life.
And it kept up, that back-and-forth. He talked about his business trip - four days in London, finanace something or other - and about fog, how the thing of it was it really was foggy in London. I felt taut and tingly and flushed, as though I were wearing a new skin, but I wasn't exactly nervous. Miraculously, I was up to the challenge of meeting this man, perfect as he was. I was "on".

message 8: by Cam (new)

Cam This is from The Blind Assassin - By Margaret Atwood
Why is a honeymoon called that? Lune de miel, Moon of honey - as if the moon itself is not a cold and airless and barren sphere of pock-marked rock, but soft, golden, luscious - a luminous candied plum, the yellow kind, melting in the mouth and sticky as desire, so achingly sweet it makes your teeth hurt. A warm floodlight floating, not in the sky, but inside your own body.

message 9: by Cam (new)

Cam This is from Getting The Girl - By Marcus Zusak (I might finally be reading something that's genuinely a romance)
The train doors open and I got out. When they closed I had no idea what station I was at, but as the train pulled and dragged itself along, I walked with it, still looking into her through the window.
When the train was gone I stood there, eventually realizing how cold it was on the platform.
Something struck me.
My spirit.
It was gone.
I searched everywhere for it, until I realized.
It didn't get off the train with me. It was still in the carriage with Octavia.

message 10: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Cam: wrote: "This is from Getting The Girl - By Marcus Zusak (I might finally be reading something that's genuinely a romance)
The train doors open and I got out. When they closed I had no idea what station I..."

That one does sound good. I have The Book Thief on my book shelf and chose it for the month I host book club. I can't wait to read it. Maybe after the challenge is over I will get to it.

message 11: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments Cam: wrote: "This is from Getting The Girl - By Marcus Zusak (I might finally be reading something that's genuinely a romance)
The train doors open and I got out. When they closed I had no idea what station I..."

You've got me hooked Cam! Can't wait to read this one!!

message 12: by Cam (new)

Cam Sorry just have to share again ( If the first excert didn't interest, please, try this on for size) from Getting the Girl - By Markus Zusak
There's no doubt about him, this book isn't The Book Thief - but traces of it's beauty are still there. If Outsiders was a romance it would be called Getting The Girl.

If Her Soul Should Leak
I'm running, with wet feet.
There's a girl up ahead.
She doesn't move fast, but no matter how hard I run, I can't catch up with her. My feet become heavier and more sodden with every step. I want to call out, but somehow I know she won't hear.
Even as other people pass by, I want to tell them. I want to say it -
I love that girl.
But I don't.
Eventually, she turns a corner and by the time I make it around, she's gone.
Defeated, I lean back to the cold, hard bricks, and I understand that there are many things I haven't seen or felt or known.
At this moment, there's only one thing I know for sure.
It's about that girl, and it's this.
If her soul ever leaks, I want it to land on me.

message 13: by Cam (new)

Cam Tara wrote: "That one does sound good. I have The Book Thief on my book shelf and chose it for the month I host book club. I can't wait to read it. Maybe after the challenge is over I will get to it. "

The Book thief is the most beautiful story Tara - It's just about impossible not to love it.

message 14: by Cam (new)

Cam Sara wrote: "You've got me hooked Cam! Can't wait to read this one!!"

Hope your doubly hooked now Sara!

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (manda_82) Cam: wrote: "Sorry just have to share again ( If the first excert didn't interest, please, try this on for size) from Getting the Girl - By Markus Zusak
There's no doubt about him, this book is..."

Well i am hooked in, I will definately add it to my to-be-read list!! (especially since i enjoyed The Book Thief)

This was a great idea Tara!

message 16: by Tara (new)

Tara | 742 comments Cam: wrote: "Sorry just have to share again ( If the first excert didn't interest, please, try this on for size) from Getting the Girl - By Markus Zusak
There's no doubt about him, this book is..."

I love the last line...
If her soul ever leaks, I want it to land on me.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara (monkeygirlsmama) | 196 comments Cam: wrote: "Sara wrote: "You've got me hooked Cam! Can't wait to read this one!!"

Hope your doubly hooked now Sara!"

Most definately Cam! I have already added it to my list...just have to finish a few others this month first, will probably get to it in the next few weeks. You keep finding great books for my TBR pile, thanks! I have Eucalyptus right now....among many other things. Thanks for all the great recomendations ;-)!