Horror Aficionados discussion

Novels > The Great God Pan

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments I've seen a lot of horror authors mention this, but haven't seen any discussions about it. It's kind of difficult to find in the library, and I'm way too cheap to buy something, until I know for sure it's good. Anybody have thoughts on this book? Actually, it might be a short story - not sure.

message 2: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments here, download the free e-book for it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/389

it's novella size so it shouldn't be that long of a read.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Hey, very cool. I appreciate it.

message 4: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments No problem.

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott It's pretty commonly reprinted in anthologies.

message 6: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Have you read it? What did you think of it?

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott I'm sure I have read it at least once, but I don't remember it at all.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 177 comments I've read it. It's a cool idea, but Machen's prose style is rather heavy-going. It must have been quite shocking when it was written.

message 9: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Thanks everybody. I'm looking forward to reading it (when I can find a spare second).

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna (stregamari) | 252 comments thanks for the link jerrod, what a cool site

message 11: by Jerrod (new)

Jerrod (liquidazrael) | 712 comments great for free e-books, now if e-books weren't so over priced...

message 12: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments It's quite good, but keep in mind the time period when it was written, both for prose style and content. I still like "The White People" more, but that's even harder to get into (but creepier!)

message 13: by Simon (new)

Simon (friedegg) "The Great God Pan" is one of the stories Machen is famous for but I was somewhat underwhemled. Apparently deeply shocking and contraversial in it's time, there were angry reviews and morally outraged critics in the media, today it feels overly restrained and coy. In other words it hasn't dated too well, lacking the effectiveness they might once of had.

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Not sure if I've read it either. I just downloaded it and look forward to reading it.

This is an old thread, but thanks, Jerrod.

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 65 comments I really really TRIED to read it but it was just dull to me. I'm not harsh on dry or outdated style either!