The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6) The Enchantress discussion

Who does the "Enchantress" refer to?

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ (last edited Jun 24, 2014 11:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ I know this is probably a stupid question, but who exactly does the Enchantress refer to? Now, before you all say Sophie, what proof is there that she is the Enchantress? I didn't see anything in this book that made me think without doubt that Sophie was the Enchantress. The only thing that makes me believe that Sophie is the Enchantress, is the fact that the book is silver. Normally there's some dramatic line at the end of a chapter or something that says who the title in the book is referring to. Does it refer to Sophie? Virginia Dare? Tsagaglalal?

The definition of "enchantress" is: "A woman who uses magic or sorcery, especially to put someone or something under a spell." This doesn't seem like Sophie to me. It seems most like Virginia Dare and a little like Tsagaglalal

...It's probably Sophie, since she's like the only main character that doesn't have a title, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right? If she is can someone please enlighten me on why she is titled that?

Rose Heartfilia I also wanted to say Sophie but you got a point.
It's also simply because she wasn't in the other onces yet and I think because she is the kind of savior that Sophie turns out to be the Enchantress.
With one being good and one being the one who destroys everything. Josh picks that side simply because he knows Sophie won't do that and can't do that.
So she must been seen as the ultimate goody maybe? That's her role in this story?!
That's maybe how they point her out as the Enchantress?!

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ The definition of "enchantress" is: "A woman who uses magic or sorcery, especially to put someone or something under a spell."

That doesn't seem to me like Sophie though. If Michael Scott wanted to give Sophie a title shouldn't he of given her one that portrayed her character more? Like, it just doesn't make that much sense to me.

Rose Heartfilia Maybe the names were all used. I don't know.
You really have a point. She didn't put anyone under a spell. However she was the one better able to use magic than Josh but still makes no sense.

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ I just hate being confused by books! xD Cause it's not like I can ask the author and he'll get back to me in a week.

Jimmy Brown I think it's Sophie because Virginia Dare wasn't as prevalent in the story. The titles are all supposed to refer to the main characters. The Alchemyst is Nicholas, the Magician is Dee, the Sorceress is Perenelle, the Necromancer is Josh, the Warlock is Machiavelli so that means Sophie has to be the Enchantress.

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ Jimmy wrote: "I think it's Sophie because Virginia Dare wasn't as prevalent in the story. The titles are all supposed to refer to the main characters. The Alchemyst is Nicholas, the Magician is Dee, the Sorcere..."

I know, but why is she the Enchantress? She doesn't "enchant" anyone.

Jimmy Brown Hmm good point lol maybe he ran out of names to call them

message 11: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Jun 24, 2014 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall I am inclined to think Sophie, as Wikipedia reports. However it's recently been edited & says it is Hecate?
According to Michael Scott, however, he deliberately avoids naming the Enchantress http://www.dillonscott.com/blog/. . . So it is subjective.

message 12: by ✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ (last edited Jun 24, 2014 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ Alngravin of the Archéd Halls wrote: "I am inclined to think Sophie, as Wikipedia reports. However it's recently been edited & says it is Hecate?
According to Michael Scott, however, he deliberately avoids naming the Enchantress http:/..."

Hecate? I always had 3 possibilities as the Enchantress, but they were always: Sophie, Virginia Dare, or tsagaglalal. I never thought of Hecate. Interesting...

I've always felt as if it were Virginia Dare honestly, but my brain keeps telling me, "Nah, it obviously has to be Sophie; I'm just crazy."

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Tsagaglalal is a neat selection...All the female characters with magic could be "enchantresses" seen as a female equivalent of an enchanter...but maybe it's purposefully vague.

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ I wish Michael Scott would just tell us! xD

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Well, apparently it hasn't been released in some countries thus the title remains obscure. Or at least when Michael Scott last posted on his blog that was the case!

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ But that was like 2 years ago I think.

message 17: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I promise I will tell you when the series is finally published in the non-English editions. Some countries are two years behind (because it takes so long to translate).

I deliberately did not name the Enchantress, but people keep going into the Wiki page and changing it.

Here's a clue: maybe it does not refer to a person as they are now, but it is talking about what they will become. And remember, the colors of the book covers are clues too!

Michael

Jimmy Brown Lol this is so stressful!

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ lol! You're killing us! I tried using the book covers as clues, but the Sorceress cover was purple and Perenelle has a white aura, and the Warlock's cover is gold and it doesn't refer to Josh, it refers to Machiavelli!

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) It's Sophie. Michael Scott gave a clear answer here: http://www.voyamagazine.com/2014/07/2...
I didn't read the whole thing, just most of it so I don't know if there's an explanation(I think there isn't though). If you don't want to read it all then just scroll down where there are some questions about each book. It's Michael Scott's answer to the last question for "The Sorceress".

Tawanai Uchiha Since Josh was the necromancer, and the title of one of the books in the series is also The Necromancer. So Sophie also got a book named after her. It makes sense.

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) wrote: "It's Sophie. Michael Scott gave a clear answer here: http://www.voyamagazine.com/2014/07/2...
I didn't read the whole thing, just most of it so I don't know i..."

Ya, I was pretty sure the Enchantress referred to her, but I NEED an explanation!!!! XD

message 23: by Kimber (last edited Aug 01, 2014 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimber Michael wrote: "I promise I will tell you when the series is finally published in the non-English editions. Some countries are two years behind (because it takes so long to translate).

I deliberately did not na..."

If the book covers are a clue and The Enchantress The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6) by Michael Scott has a silver cover, that makes Sophie the Enchantress. The author answered the question "Why?" in his above comment. It refers to something she will become. Thank you Mr. Scott! :D

message 24: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Yes, it is Sophie. At the end of the last book, we get clues (and in Josh's case, more than clues) about what the twins will become. Sophie will become The Enchantress.

Kimber Michael wrote: "Yes, it is Sophie. At the end of the last book, we get clues (and in Josh's case, more than clues) about what the twins will become. Sophie will become The Enchantress."

I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved this series. Do you have any plans to continue with the characters at a later time in their lives or write a new series? I've read The Thirteen Hallows. Is a second book in that series in the works? Sorry for peppering you with questions. It's just cool to catch an author on the Goodreads' feed. :D

message 26: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael Thank you for your good wishes, and yes, I pop in and out of Goodreads fairly regularly.

Yes, there will be more Flamels. I'm working on a series of short stories to fill in some of the gaps, and I will continue Scathach's stories. Sophie may also get her own series. Working on The Earthlords right now.

The sequel to The Thirteen Hallows is The Hallowed Keepers; coming next year I hope!

With best wishes,

Michael

Babafaba(Hypnos)((Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore))(((Scuttle)))((((Scar)))) Kimber wrote: "Michael wrote: "Yes, it is Sophie. At the end of the last book, we get clues (and in Josh's case, more than clues) about what the twins will become. Sophie will become The Enchantress."

I just w..."

Oh, I haven't read the Thirteen Hallows yet, just the Six books from the Flamel series and the two short stories about Joan of Arc and Billy the Kid. Is the Thirteen Hallows any good?

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ Michael wrote: "Yes, it is Sophie. At the end of the last book, we get clues (and in Josh's case, more than clues) about what the twins will become. Sophie will become The Enchantress."

THANK YOU! :D

♣RubyRedWriter♣ WOAH.

This entire thread, like, explained all my questions and answered them - and I didn't even comment! XD

Thanks!

message 30: by Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall (last edited Oct 08, 2014 05:13PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Theodosia of the Fathomless Hall Michael wrote: "Here's a clue: maybe it does not refer to a person as they are now, but it is talking about what they will become. And remember, the colors of the book covers are clues too!
"

Really? I shall become paranoid and overanalyze the covers, now. Thanks! I think we're fairly flattered for you commenting on this. ;D.
Earthlords -- Fantastic. Fantastic!

@Ruby -- Well, pleased to help! That's what Goodreads is for ;).

✞Ƙєℓℓу✧Sтєℓℓαя Scяυтιηу✞ Belaria of the Snowy Halls wrote: "Michael wrote: "Here's a clue: maybe it does not refer to a person as they are now, but it is talking about what they will become. And remember, the colors of the book covers are clues too!
"

Real..."

Michael Scott said: Yes, it is Sophie. At the end of the last book, we get clues (and in Josh's case, more than clues) about what the twins will become. Sophie will become The Enchantress.

So, you don't need to be all paranoid over the covers now, we know for certain it's Sophie! (Thanks Michael Scott!) ;)

message 32: by E.H.4 (new)

E.H.4 I know that Michael Scott said that it is Sophie, but why include the Tree on the cover, isn't that just giving a false clue towards Hecate

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Enchantress (other topics)
The Thirteen Hallows (other topics)