Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > You have a comment

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena | 79 comments Don't know if this has been discussed, but I'd love to see a bit more information on the "You have a comment" notification e-mails. Currently, they just state the name of person the comment is from, but not the book it relates to. If there's a particularly active comment discussion going on about a book, I'll get a ton of these comment e-mails at one time, and any comments posted about other books can easily get lost in the muddle. So I'd love to see these notification e-mails include both the name of the book and the name of the person who made the comment about that book.

Thanks!

message 2: by Ken (last edited Mar 01, 2008 01:47PM) (new)

Ken Lena --

I'd go one better (and I've said it before, but I'll say it again). I think there should be a button added on top called "MY COMMENTS."

Presently, there's no way to track comments you make on other people's reviews (and threads) -- specifically, their replies to your comments. And it's cumbersome to have to "leave" this site and go to whatever e-mail you used (and yes, many people have countless e-mails used for various reasons) to sign up for Goodreads.

To me, the whole comment deal -- those made to your reviews and posts as well as those you make to others' reviews and posts -- is the only Achille's Heel to an otherwise terrific site. If only St. Otis & the Knights could slay this last dragon...!

message 3: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Great suggestions!

Lena we'll add the info you wanted in tonights release.

Newengland - I like this idea. Right now we do have a (admittedly hard to find) page that lists a person's recent discussion board posts (on the profile next to the groups header), but it doesn't show review comments. My question is: do you think that would be strange if you could view anyone else's comments on reviews?

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken Thanks, Otis. I found that "Recent Posts" marker -- small font and in italics -- next to the Groups Header deep into the South section of my profile page. Thanks for leaving the bread crumbs so I could find my way there (I packed extra food and water before beginning my journey). ;-)

As for your last question, I guess I'm confused about it. I would only be interested in responses to my own comments on other posters' book reviews. Are we talking the same thing?

Sometimes I just randomly comment on book reviews of books I've read. Someone could respond to my comment a week or two later and I wouldn't easily know that unless I remembered to hunt it down (and frankly, my travels are far-ranging on this site, so there's no way I can remember all of my meandering tracks...). I just think, if someone comments on your comment or asks you a question, you come off as rude if you do not respond (even though, in reality, you never saw it to respond to in the first place).

Hope that makes sense.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8949 comments Thanks Otis! And thanks Lena for suggesting it. I really enjoy seeing that extra information in the body of the emails.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena | 79 comments Wow! Thanks for such a speedy response. It's much appreciated!

message 7: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Hey Newengland,

I realize you just wanted to see your own comments, however the recent comments page is available for anyone to look on any profile. This is useful if you find someone interesting and want to see what else they are discussing, or if you need to find a post and only remember who said it.

We spruced up the comments page and added a link to the homepage so you won't have to take a long journey to get there :)

Should launch in the next release!

message 8: by Ken (new)

Ken Thanks for your responsiveness, Otis. This site is unique in that way (believe it or not). The old adage about the customer coming first IS an endangered species, alas... but not here!