Unapologetic Romance Readers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Reading Challenges > URR Pages Read 2017 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 301 (301 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Sarah (sarahjf1984) | 1147 comments Mod
Hi everyone, a friend of mine is a mod of another genre-specific group and I keep seeing her post to a particular challenge thread that I think we would enjoy participating in over here at Unapologetic Romance Readers. What I'm talking about is a Pages Read challenge.

How it works is that as each member who is taking part finishes a book, you come here and add the page count to our running total. For instance, if the total pages read are at 450, and you just read a book that was 150 pages you would post the name of the book you just finished, along with the page count, (150 in our example), and then you would ADD your page count to the count in the post before yours, (600 total in our example.)

For audiobooks, I think we should use the page count for the most popular edition of the book you're reading (to get the most popular edition to come up simply search for it in the search bar, the one that comes up when you click the link is the most popular edition)

This challenge applies to ALL the books you read from July 1, not just romances, because there are so many crossovers that it would just become too complicated if we had to have a group discussion over which books classify as romance and which ones don't.

Since we're a relatively small group (769 members compared to my friend's group at over 12,000) and it's only going to be a six month challenge I think we should keep the goal reasonably low (we can always raise it if I underestimate how well we're likely to do). What does everyone think about a goal of 100,000 pages in six months?

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Sarah wrote: "What does everyone think about a goal of 100,000 pages in six months? "

It would be interesting to see the final tally, though as goals go that sounds easily achieved. Assuming I remembered to update the thread for every book I could account for half of that myself. According to the year in books I read 103,163 in 2016.

message 3: by Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️, Backlist Bandit (new)

Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell (neniacampbell) | 3062 comments Mod
Oooh sounds fun!

message 4: by Amora (new)

Amora Jones | 12 comments Yeah, I'm sure we can achieve this goal. It's going to be a lot of fun!

I'll start. I just finished Her Billionaire Secret: Part 1 Her Billionaire Secret Part 1. This book was 81 pages, so really short.

So I guess the total is 81 pages.

message 5: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds like fun.

Amora wrote: "Yeah, I'm sure we can achieve this goal. It's going to be a lot of fun!

I'll start. I just finished Her Billionaire Secret: Part 1 Her Billionaire Secret Part 1. This book was 81 ..."

So, are we starting immediately? That would be fine with me, but I wasn't sure if setting a specific start date would be a better idea for example July 1st at 12:00 a.m. to give everyone who wants to join in time to comment here to confirm their participation. Any pages you read after that point would count towards the overall total - so if you read the last 45 pages of a 236 page book, only those 45 pages would go on the total.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim Sarah wrote: "Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this sounds like fun.

Amora wrote: "Yeah, I'm sure we can achieve this goal. It's going to be a lot of fun!

I'll start. I just finished Her Billiona..."

I think this sounds like fun also. I like the idea of setting a start date and anything after that goes towards the goal. I would like to see an ambitious goal that pushes us to read all we can read.

message 7: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Jim wrote: "I would like to see an ambitious goal that pushes us to read all we can read. "

Alright, after looking at the stats of everyone who has commented I can see we should easily reach 100,000 pages, but when I wrote this last night I wasn't sure how popular it would be and I didn't want people to feel rushed to finish a book so it could be added to the total - this is about fun, not just about winning and reaching an unreachable goal. So, why don't we double it and make it 200,000? I think that's a bit challenging but not too much since we're going for it in only six months - July 1st 2017 to December 31st 2017. If it's really popular we'll do it again next year for the whole year and quadruple or even quintuple the goal.

Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin* (heather_crews) | 1444 comments Mod
Yes, that sounds good, Sarah! Would you remind us when July 1st rolls around, since some of us are a bit forgetful? (Not me, though. Totally not forgetful at all.) ;)

message 9: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Heather *live on coffee & flowers* wrote: "Yes, that sounds good, Sarah! Would you remind us when July 1st rolls around, since some of us are a bit forgetful? (Not me, though. Totally not forgetful at all.) ;)"

I'm pretty forgetful myself, but I think this will stick in my mind because I really want to get started straight away so I'll be willing July 1 to get here ASAP. Just in case I think I might add it to my laptop calendar with a reminder for June 30, so that I can remind anyone from this side of the world to count pages from midnight the next day.

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) | 14 comments I'm game as long as we get that reminder of when to start! Sounds fun.

message 11: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 25 comments I was bad at posting individual books, but I'd post a bunch at a time. I think I posted the books that met the goal, and we just kept going from there. If it's the group you're referring to, now we're going for 4000 books read.

message 12: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

jaxnsmom wrote: "I was bad at posting individual books, but I'd post a bunch at a time. I think I posted the books that met the goal, and we just kept going from there. If it's the group you're referring to, now we..."

The group I was talking about is Horror Aficionados. Is that the one you're in?

message 13: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Remember everyone, July 1st is this Saturday. I'll post another reminder on the 30th (particularly for those of us in the southern hemisphere), but since I was thinking about it I didn't think it would hurt to get one in early.

message 14: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 25 comments Sarah wrote: "The group I was talking about is Horror Aficionados. Is that the one you're in?"

No, I'm in Love of Reading. In 2016 we had The 1,000,000 Page Group Challenge 2016, and we reported over 1,100,000 books. I'm sure lots of us didn't report all of our books, including me, once we hit the target. This year we're going for 4,000 books.

message 15: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

jaxnsmom wrote: "Sarah wrote: "The group I was talking about is Horror Aficionados. Is that the one you're in?"

No, I'm in Love of Reading. In 2016 we had The 1,000,000 Page Group Challenge 2016, and we reported o..."

Wow! 4000, books I doubt I'll read that many in my whole lifetime (I'm at 798 with only about 50 years to go).

message 16: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Alright, everyone! If tomorrow is Saturday then tomorrow is July 1st, our starting date for this challenge.

Any pages that you read from 12 midnight tonight are to be counted toward this challenge. You can contribute as much or as little as you want - you don't have to log every page you read if you don't want/have time/remember to.

Our goal is currently set at 200,000 pages.

When you post new pages to the challenge please tell us the name of the book (use a link if you feel like it) and the number of pages that need to be added and then (unless you're the first poster) add them to the overall total. Here is an example to further illustrate what I'm trying to say

"I finished Rising Phoenix last night, 451 pages.

Previous total pages
+ 451
= 2988
(don't be ashamed to use a calculator, I just did).

Is that clear? If there are any questions please feel free to ask. Looking forward to getting started and seeing how well we can do (i.e. how much I've underestimated the popularity of this idea and how fast those interested can read).

Lastly, have fun!! This isn't a race or competition, so don't feel pressure to read faster so your book can count towards the challenge.

Ha, thanks for the reminder, Sarah! As expected, it completely slipped my mind. ;)

message 18: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

Heather wrote: "Ha, thanks for the reminder, Sarah! As expected, it completely slipped my mind. ;)"

You're welcome. My computer beeped at me.

message 19: by A (Is For Awkward) (last edited Jul 01, 2017 02:08PM) (new)

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments This morning I read Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, 276 pages.

Edit: This afternoon I read Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews, 272 pages.

Total Pages = 276 + 272
= 548

Only.. 199,452 pages to go!

message 20: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "This morning I read Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews, 276 pages.

Edit: This afternoon I read Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews, 272 pages.

Total Pages = 276 + 272
= 548

Only 199,452 pages to go!l..."

YAY!! Our first pages. Congratulations, A.

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Sarah wrote: "YAY!! Our first pages. Congratulations, A. "

Yep! And I am on vacation. So I am going to be piling up the pages for a bit. I keep trying to start books in my tbr pile and then buying new ones instead.

Last night I read Magic Strikes by Ilona Andrews, 322 pages

This morning I finished (started last night and read until I fell asleep) Magic Bleeds by Ilona Andrews, 388 pages

This afternoon I read Night Shade by Helen Harper, 246 pages

Previous total pages
+ 322 + 388 + 246
= 1504

I'll be adding books as I finish them, since Kindle pages can be a little tricky. :)

Good job, A! Your vacation and this challenge perfectly coincided!

message 23: by Jim (new)

Jim Today I finished Bookworm by Christopher G. Nuttall

Previous total pages
+368
=1872

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Last night I re-read Slightly Married by Mary Balogh, 368 pages

This morning I read Eros by Helen Harper, 332 pages

And just now I finally read To Love A Thief by Darcy Burke, 124 pages (been in my tbr forever)

Previous total pages
+ 368 + 332 + 124
= 2696

message 25: by Korey (new)

Korey | 199 comments I've read two books so far in July. I read The Finishing School by Joanne Goodman, 352 pages and Royal Bastards by Andrew Shvartz also 352 pages.

So starting from 2696 + 352 + 352 = 3,400 is our new total.

message 26: by Sarah, OTP Aficionado (new)

A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "Last night I re-read Slightly Married by Mary Balogh, 368 pages

This morning I read Eros by Helen Harper, 332 pages

And just now I fin..."

A, we could practically rename this challenge A's Pages Read Challenge! You are doing so fantastically I reckon you're going to account for about 25% of all the pages read in the thread.

message 27: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) | 14 comments I finished reading Stalking Jack the Ripper late last night.

3,400 previous pages + 326 new pages = 3,726 new page total

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Sarah wrote: "A, we could practically rename this challenge A's Pages Read Challenge! You are doing so fantastically I reckon you're going to account for about 25% of all the pages read in the thread."

Haha. yea. When I have time to myself I tend to read a lot. Even when I should be doing other things. I was supposed to be doing things with family already today but got distracted reading a book I only meant to read a few chapters in and am now about 3 hours behind!

Last night I read Ready to Fall by Olivia Dade, 117 pages

I also started last night, and finished this morning Finding Perfect by Susan Mallery, 350 pages

And I just finished Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, 404 pages

So 3,726 previous total
+ 117 + 350 + 404
= 4597 new total

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) | 14 comments A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "Last night I read Ready to Fall by Olivia Dade, 117 pages

I also started last night, and finished this morning Finding Perfect by Susan Mallery, 350 pages

And I just finished Dream a Little Dream by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, 404 pages

So 3,726 previous total
+ 117 + 350 + 404
= 4597 new total

I have to ask: do you have any idea of the speed or rate you read at? It seems like you must be a phenomenally quick reader!

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Angela wrote: "I have to ask: do you have any idea of the speed or rate you read at? It seems like you must be a phenomenally quick reader! "

It varies depending on the book, the style, how interested I am in it etc, But the range is 1-2 pages a minute, for 60-120 pages an hour.. I think my average with most romance authors is about 100 pages an hour.

I wake up very early and usually can read at least half a book before I get up, and half a book before bed. So even on days I don't have much free time I can usually manage at least a book a day. Throw in weekends, depending on how busy they are, I can read 30-60 books almost every month.

Which is good since I like to read. But is bad when it comes to balancing my budget.

message 31: by Angela (new)

Angela (a_hoffman79) | 14 comments A (Is For Awkward) wrote: "Angela wrote: "I have to ask: do you have any idea of the speed or rate you read at? It seems like you must be a phenomenally quick reader! "

It varies depending on the book, the style, how intere..."

Wow, that's an amazing number of books you read each month; go you! I read about one page a minute in a romance or YA novel, but you've definitely got me beat on the amount of time you get to spend reading each day. Enjoy!

message 32: by jaxnsmom (new)

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim Slightly Married by Mary Balogh

+368
=5605

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Scandalous Ever After by Theresa Romain, 352 pages
Only Yours by Susan Mallery, 381 pages
Three Little Words by Susan Mallery, 332 pages

+ 352 + 381 + 332
= 6670

message 35: by Korey (new)

Korey | 199 comments The Suffragette Scandal by Courtney Milan. 243 pages

6670 + 243 = 6,913

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments All Summer Long by Susan Mallery, 379 pages
Two of a Kind by Susan Mallery, 382 pages

+ 379 + 382
= 7,674

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim Burn for Me by Ilona Andrews, 400 pages

+400
=8074

message 38: by Katy (new)

Katy (bgnbrooks) | 120 comments The End of Men by Karen Rinaldi , 328 pages

+328
=8402

Slightly Married, 342 pages

+342
=8744

message 40: by A (Is For Awkward) (last edited Jul 08, 2017 04:09AM) (new)

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Before We Kiss by Susan Mallery, 364 pages
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin, 417 pages

+ 364 + 417
= 9,525

message 41: by Katy (new)

Katy (bgnbrooks) | 120 comments My Commander by Alanea Alder, 236 pages

+236
=9761

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Summer Days by Susan Mallery, 381 pages
Summer Nights by Susan Mallery, 381 pages
Until We Touch by Susan Mallery, 379 pages

+ 381 + 381 + 379
= 10,902

message 43: by Korey (new)

Korey | 199 comments The Idiot by Elif Batuman 423 pages

10,902 + 423 = 11,325

message 44: by Korey (new)

Korey | 199 comments American War by Omar El Akkad 333 pages

11, 325 + 333 = 11,658

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Chasing Perfect by Susan Mallery, 380 pages

11,658 + 380 = 12,038

message 46: by Jim (new)

Jim Master of Crows by Grace Draven - 276 pgs

+ 276
= 12,314

Music Box, 276 pages

+276
=12,590

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Almost Perfect by Susan Mallery, 384 pages

A Fool's Gold Christmas by Susan Mallery, 320 pages

12,590 + 384 + 320 = 13,294

A (Is For Awkward) (aisforawkward) | 637 comments Star Witch by Helen Harper, 271 pages
Just One Kiss by Susan Mallery, 384 pages
When We Met by Susan Mallery, 348 pages

13,294 + 271 + 384 + 348 = 14,297

The Darkness Visible, 410 pages

+410
=14,707

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.