Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Suggestions & Voting > Books of the Month - July 2017 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 120 (120 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
And the July nominations are...

- Nominations will be open for 24 hours and during that time we will take in as many nominations as possible.
- After 24 hours, 8 books from each genre will be chosen at random from the selection.
- Only ONE nomination per person (EITHER sci-fi OR fantasy)
- No books nominated last month may be re-nominated for June, instead you must wait until July to nominate them again. A book counts as "nominated" when it made it to the polls. If it was suggested, but not picked for the polls, it can be entered again. You can see the polls here
- If books are part of a series, they must be the first, unless the group has already read the previous book(s)
- No authors nominating their own works
- No self-published or ebook only books
- Here are our previous group reads if you're unsure!
- Book nominations may be seconded in place of a suggestion, but this will count as your choice for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomization process.

SCIENCE FICTION:

FANTASY:

message 2: by Brendan (new)

Brendan O'neill | 204 comments I would like to nominate The Black Lung Captain please.

message 3: by Margo (new)

Margo If the group hasn't already read it, can I nominateHow To Be A Vigilante: A Diary for sci-fi?

Could equally be fantasy :-/

message 4: by Lel (new)

Lel (lelspear) | 1802 comments Can I nominate Low Town for fantasy please

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Annihilation for sci-fi

message 6: by Tallyho (new)

Tallyho I didn't see Hounded in the read list. Consider it nominated for Fantasy!

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne

message 7: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1290 comments Margo wrote: "If the group hasn't already read it, can I nominateHow To Be A Vigilante: A Diary for sci-fi?

Could equally be fantasy :-/"

Looks interesting, but I think it might be self published...

message 8: by Margo (new)

Margo Vinca wrote: "Margo wrote: "If the group hasn't already read it, can I nominateHow To Be A Vigilante: A Diary for sci-fi?

Could equally be fantasy :-/"

Looks interesting, but I think it might ..."

Hmm, I think you may be right Vinca. I didn't even think to check as it is Luke Smithard! The version I have is on kindle and but it's still published by Flying Objects. I withdraw that one.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Tallyho wrote: "I didn't see Hounded in the read list. Consider it nominated for Fantasy!

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne"

I second Hounded! Its been on my TBR for ages.

message 10: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1736 comments Kings of the Wyld for Fantasy. Lots of folks enjoying this one now.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Ryan wrote: "Annihilation for sci-fi"

I'll second that.

message 12: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1290 comments Shawnie wrote: "Kings of the Wyld for Fantasy. Lots of folks enjoying this one now."

I'll second that one :-)

message 13: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
Damn now I have decisions. I was going to nominate Kings of the Wyld myself, but also see that Low Town has been nominated and I loved that trilogy (even took my mod handle from it).

For that reason I will second low town as I know KOTW will get lots of love.

Low Town seconded. Go Warden!

message 14: by Steven (new)

Steven | 16 comments For fantasy I would like to nominate The Hero of Ages to round out the Mistborn trilogy!

message 15: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Shawnie wrote: "Kings of the Wyld for Fantasy. Lots of folks enjoying this one now."

I second this one as well.

message 16: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) Sarah wrote: "Tallyho wrote: "I didn't see Hounded in the read list. Consider it nominated for Fantasy!

Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne"

I second Hounded! Its been on my TBR for ages."

I literally just finished my second read through of this a few days ago. I'd love to chat about it!

message 17: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) For Science Fiction - I'd like to suggest Too Like the Lightning. Gotta read it for those Hugo awards :)

Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota, #1) by Ada Palmer

message 18: by Russell (new)

Russell | 8 comments I would nominate Senlin Ascends for Fantasy.

message 19: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
As Senlin Ascends is currently only available as a self published work we may have to leave it off for now as it will limit library availability and it may be removed as an ebook soon for a short period as it has been picked up by Orbit to be trad published soon.

message 20: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Baron | 5 comments I've been wanting to read this book Age of Myth!

message 21: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 118 comments I would like to nominate The Lightning Thief for fantasy.

message 22: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (last edited Jun 08, 2017 11:42AM) (new)

Wayland Smith | 2863 comments Mod
I'll go with Morrigan's Cross again for fantasy.

message 23: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I think I'll go for 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson :)

message 24: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Joshua wrote: "I've been wanting to read this book Age of Myth!"

We've already read this as a group

message 25: by Kirby (new)

Kirby (kirbym) Rinn wrote: "I think I'll go for 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson :)"

Ahh I'm halfway through this. Would love an excuse to pick it back up again!

message 26: by Milou (new)

Milou | 486 comments I second Dark Run! My fiancé loved this book and is bringing it with him from SA for me to read.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1131 comments Can I nominate 14 by Peter Clines for sci-fi please. It's high on my TBR list because the summary sounds intriguing.

message 28: by P.H. (new)

P.H. Solomon (phsolmon) | 15 comments Brendan wrote: "I would like to nominate The Black Lung Captain please."
Seconded

message 29: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Kirby wrote: "Rinn wrote: "I think I'll go for 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson :)"

Ahh I'm halfway through this. Would love an excuse to pick it back up again!"

I've had several of his books for years and still not read any. I also need the excuse to get to them!

message 30: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2814 comments Mod
N.E.C.C. wrote: "I would like to nominate The Lightning Thief for fantasy."

I'll second that. It's time for a re-read.

message 31: by Devorah (new)

Devorah (chilazon) I nominate Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta for fantasy.

message 32: by Melanie (last edited Jun 08, 2017 06:08PM) (new)

Melanie | 1227 comments I will nominate Akata Witch for fantasy. It is an amazingly well told tale with unique magic.

message 34: by Sean (new)

Sean (redbeard007) | 95 comments For Science Fiction I'll nominate The Stars Are Legion. Maybe this month the odds will be in my favor and it makes it to the polls. Luck don't fail me now! Feel like I'm gambling in vegas.

message 35: by Alja (new)

Alja (alyaofwinterfell) (alyaofwinterfell) I'd like to nominate Nevernight for fantasy. It was my favorite read of last year and more people should know about it!

message 36: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2863 comments Mod
Alja wrote: "I'd like to nominate Nevernight for fantasy. It was my favorite read of last year and more people should know about it!"

Didn't we do that earlier this year?

message 37: by Alja (new)

Alja (alyaofwinterfell) (alyaofwinterfell) Wayland wrote: "Alja wrote: "I'd like to nominate Nevernight for fantasy. It was my favorite read of last year and more people should know about it!"

Didn't we do that earlier this year?"

Could be, I'm a relatively new member and might have missed it.

message 39: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1290 comments Didn't we do that earlier this year?"

Could be, I'm a relatively new member and might have missed it.

There's usually a link to the list of past reads and polls in the first post in this thread, but they seem to be broken at the moment.

Nevernight was a BOTM in March.

message 40: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 79 comments I would like to second Hero of Ages for the Mistborn trilogy

message 41: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1290 comments Dawn wrote: "Can I nominate 14 by Peter Clines for sci-fi please. It's high on my TBR list because the summary sounds intriguing."

That *does* sound intriguing. I'm already seeing if the library has a copy ;-)

message 42: by Margo (new)

Margo Vinca wrote: "Dawn wrote: "Can I nominate 14 by Peter Clines for sci-fi please. It's high on my TBR list because the summary sounds intriguing."

That *does* sound intriguing. I'm already seeing ..."

14 is a very good story with an unusual ending!

message 43: by Margo (new)

Margo I will second 14

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 229 comments I will also second Kings of the Wyld (The Band #1) by Nicholas Eames Kings of the Wyld because it rocks!! But, I do a few books on here that are awesome or that I want to read!

message 45: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Is Ring of the Dark Elves self published. It seems to have very little availability

message 46: by Devorah (new)

Devorah (chilazon) Once the polls are up, how much time do we have to vote?

message 47: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Paul wrote: "Is Ring of the Dark Elves self published. It seems to have very little availability"

Yep it is, iUniverse is a self-pub company.

message 48: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Chilazon wrote: "Once the polls are up, how much time do we have to vote?"

Normally a week.

message 49: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Jim wrote: "Rinn wrote: "Paul wrote: "Is Ring of the Dark Elves self published. It seems to have very little availability"

Yep it is, iUniverse is a self-pub company."

I think maybe it went out of print and..."

Oh I see! Although if it's pretty hard to get, I think we might have to leave it out of the running, sadly :/

message 50: by Russell (new)

Russell | 8 comments I would also nominate The Windup Girl. It has been on my TBR list for years and would help with my 2017 challenge for Steampunk.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.