Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2018] Suggestions for 1st Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 08, 2017 05:21AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past two years that we are creating another list for 2018.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2018 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "seconded" per user (we're trying a new way, so it can change during the process)
- Suggestions close after 20 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not enough balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 20 suggestions are received.

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

For right now, we will be doing "new suggestion" polls for half of the entries. So every other poll will be devoted to new suggestions.

We assess how it is going as the process progresses and adjust as needed.

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments The first suggestion :)
A book set in a circus

message 4: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)

message 5: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1355 comments A game changer
For example a book that changed a genre Frankenstein
A person who changed the world
Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth
An author that changed how we see the world or society
The Book of Negroes
Toni Morrison

message 6: by Clare (new)

Clare (-clare-) | 106 comments Read a book that at least one of the ATY mods has rated 5 stars

message 7: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2995 comments Have a family member or a friend pick a book off your tbr shelf for you (the less they know about books, the better!)

This can be using your entire tbr or a small selection of books that you take to them to have one choice picked. Wouldn't this be fun with a 4 year old doing the picking? :-)

message 8: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1357 comments Mod
I second the suggestion for a book set in a circus. sounds fun, and there's surprisingly a lot of them.

message 9: by Lieke (new)

Lieke | 709 comments A book about (someone) dead

message 10: by Nadja (new)

Nadja | 214 comments A book published in a year you haven't read from yet.

[sort your read shelf by date pub and search for gaps :) ]

https://www.goodreads.com/list/best_o... (1980-2017 by year)
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/38 (1800- now by decade)

Or search for a spefic year in the lists.

message 11: by KM (new)

KM Boyett (kikidv) | 49 comments Following on Nadja's above suggestion - A book first published in the year you were born

message 12: by Francesca (last edited Jun 08, 2017 07:16AM) (new)

Francesca | 786 comments A book with a pronoun in the title.

message 13: by Brandyn (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 5 comments A book written in second person
ie: All the Truth That's in Me

message 14: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments A book written in first person perspective.

message 15: by Peter (last edited Jun 08, 2017 07:30AM) (new)

Peter | 0 comments oh I missed the above suggestion....page hadn't reloaded when I submitted.

Just a clarification though.... Did you really mean second person perspective (books written from the reader's perspective using the pronoun "you" describing the actions that you the reader are "doing"; think choose your own adventure books). Or did you mean first person perspective (with the narrator using the pronouns "I" and "me" as that seems to be the way the example book is written based on the title)? If that is the case could the mods count my suggestion as a second.

message 16: by Brandyn (last edited Jun 08, 2017 07:31AM) (new)

Brandyn (brandy_k) | 5 comments I meant second person using the pronoun "you". The book I suggested was the first one I'd ever read written that way and I loved it. So our suggestions are different, but similar;)

Goodreads has a list for second person books. I've only read the one in my comment above, but several others are on my TBR.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/...

message 17: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (ninmin30) | 7 comments Kiki wrote: "Following on Nadja's above suggestion - A book first published in the year you were born"

I second this!

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I hesitate to suggest this since I'm afraid it will be difficult to find books but:

A book that mentions its own title in the contents.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mich2689) | 476 comments A book about mental illness

message 20: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Second a book about mental illness

message 21: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments So far:
A book set in a circus
A book first published in the year you were born
A book about mental illness

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Kelly wrote: "Second a book about mental illness"

Kelly, you can either make a new suggestion OR second someone else's suggestion. Please indicate whether you'd like to keep your suggestion of a book set in a foreign country or keep your seconding of a book about mental illness.

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Oh that's more difficult cause you don't know what will come up... ok sorry for the confusion. Guess just ignore my second entry

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Or keep the second for book about mental illness both are fine with me. Whatever is easier

message 25: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments They're equally easy. You get to choose. Just tell us which you prefer to keep. :)

message 26: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Audiogirl.booking.it (audiogirlbookingit) | 488 comments Just delete the suggestion about book in foreign country

message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex | 4 comments Read a Book Set in Africa
Read a Book Set in South America

Reasoning: Most Book at least that I know of are set in Europe, Asia, or North America. This could broaden our horizons!

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Kelly wrote: "Just delete the suggestion about book in foreign country"

Done. Thanks!

message 29: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 453 comments Not sure how to word this succinctly but a book by an author that writes under at least two different names ( e.g J.K. Rowling also writes as Robert Galbraith, )books written under either name would count)

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill | 590 comments Charity wrote: "A book with a body part in the title (heart, bones, teeth, skin, blood, etc)"

I second this suggestion.

message 31: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 946 comments A book by an author whose Christian name and Surname start with the same letter eg. Bill Bryson Chris Carter

message 32: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 408 comments Jill wrote: "A book by an author whose Christian name and Surname start with the same letter eg. Bill Bryson Chris Carter"

I second this one

message 33: by Nicole (last edited Jun 08, 2017 10:24AM) (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Clare wrote: "Read a book that at least one of the ATY mods has rated 5 stars"

I second this suggestion.

message 34: by J (new)

J Austill | 673 comments Anastasia wrote: "A game changer"

I'll second Anastasia's Game Changer suggestion. This one could make for a good topic discussion thread since we'd get to talk about why a book is a game changer and what effects it had.

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 547 comments A book from television series that was made into books.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...) This link has a ton of shows that were made into books!

message 36: by Hélène (new)

Hélène | 172 comments I second Nadja's suggestion : a book published in a year you haven't read from yet.

message 37: by Marie (new)

Marie | 713 comments I'll second Brandyn's suggestion - a book written in second person.

I don't think I've ever read anything written that way, I'm intrigued.

message 38: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments A book with Arthurian legend

message 39: by D.L. (new)

D.L. | 26 comments Amy wrote: "Have a family member or a friend pick a book off your tbr shelf for you (the less they know about books, the better!)

This can be using your entire tbr or a small selection of books that you take..."

I second this!

message 40: by Zaz (last edited Jun 08, 2017 12:59PM) (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments
List moved to the last post

message 41: by Kristi (new)

Kristi A book published posthumously.

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...

message 42: by Ira (new)

Ira | 298 comments A book that intimidates/ scares you

message 43: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Zaz, you missed mine ;)

A book that mentions its own title in the contents.

message 44: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Oh my. I added it Laura :)

message 45: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1 comments I second Alex's: A book set in Africa or South America

message 46: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2568 comments A derivative book (based on or derived from an existing book)

message 47: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (sgiffin) | 146 comments I second the Book Published Posthumously suggestion

message 48: by Tia (last edited Jun 08, 2017 12:41PM) (new)

Tia | 128 comments Vanessa wrote: "A book with Arthurian legend"

I will second this suggestion.

message 49: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 789 comments I second Katie's: A book with a time of day in the title.

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Laura wrote: "I hesitate to suggest this since I'm afraid it will be difficult to find books but:

A book that mentions its own title in the contents."

I second Laura's!!! I love it. Two books I have read/am reading this year have mentioned their titles- Behind Closed Doors and Look Behind You. The second book has a big focus on it and would be good in a discussion.

« previous 1