SQHS Sci-Fi/Fantasy 2017 discussion

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
jokes? in space???

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura Cornwell | 8 comments Laura Cornwell
May 30, 2017
Ms. Thorsen
Period 4
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book review
The book starts out with a normal day for a normal dude named Arthur Dent. This super normal day was unfortunate for our hero, as the city would really like to tear down his house.It’s in the way of the new bypass. It’s been posted the local planning office for nine months, why didn’t he go check? It doesn’t seem to matter anyway, because some aliens require destruction of the Earth for their bypass. Those plans have been available at the local planning department, why didn’t Earth check? Luckily Arthur, and his friend who happens to be an alien, Ford, are able to hitch a ride on the alien’s ship before they blow up the planet. Ford wrote the cool book about the galaxy that he likes to call Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, so he know all about how to help them survive. They find some friends from unexpected planets, and some unexpected relatives, and take trips to unexpected places. Arthur and Ford get pulled along on the renegade President’s journey to a long lost planet, and find out some crazy things on the way.
I think this book was a good change from the rest of science fiction, bringing some much needed humor and lightheartedness to the genre. So many sci fi books assume humans are cool and funky, but this book says “hey, there are cooler organisms on our planet than humans.” A lot of sci fi books tend to take themselves seriously, but this book kind of throws that to the wind. Everything in this book is making fun of itself, humans, and the sci fi genre. It’s fun to read about Arthur’s attempts to figure out what to do, find out the truth about Earth, and just survive in the crazy politics of the Space Empire that somehow avoided Earth for the duration of its existence. The main point of this story is: don’t underestimate even the smallest creatures.

message 2: by Tyler (new)

Tyler Hovater | 7 comments I also read this book and its sequels, definitely one of the best books I've ever read. My personal favorite character is Marvin because of the comedic element he brings.