Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Tempting Mr. Townsend (Dashing Widows, #2)
This topic is about Tempting Mr. Townsend
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR: Tempting Mr. Townsend - Anna Campbell

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Al George , Mod (last edited Jun 07, 2017 09:34PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Al George  (georgieme) | 1575 comments Mod
Hello all! Becca and I will be starting a Buddy Read for Tempting Mr. Townsend. The book is only .99 Kindle if anyone wants to join.

This is not a spoiler-free discussion but we will do our best to use spoiler tags =)

spoilers

Should we go for three or more chapters a day or read at your own pace?

We plan on starting June 8 (as in tomorrow) if that works for everyone.

message 2: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 08, 2017 03:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Since this is a novella and I own it, I'll join.

Since I may fall behind you all (can't promise 3 ch per day), please state in your comment posts the last ch completed.
If you do this, I'll know not to read the comments until I've reached that point in the book.

message 3: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Since this is a novella and I own it, I'll join.

Since I may fall behind you all (can't promise 3 ch per day), please state in your comment posts the last ch completed.
If you do this, I'll know n..."

That's a great idea!!

message 4: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok, I made it through chapter three. Thus far it's a good start. Nothing to blow me away, but a good start. Anthony sure did decide Fenella (sp?) is his awful quick, but this is a novella so that's par for the course.

Becca | 209 comments I am in Chapter 2 right now. The beginning really started off quick but I am enjoying how different these two characters seem to be. I also like how Campbell does analogies that align with whoever's head she is in. For example, when she was in Anthony's head, she used an analogy with a product he imports. Not too much on the romance side yet, but that would even be quick for a novella!

message 6: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Becca wrote: "I am in Chapter 2 right now. The beginning really started off quick but I am enjoying how different these two characters seem to be. I also like how Campbell does analogies that align with whoever'..."

Oh, I didn't even think to look for that - subtle. Will watch for it now. I, too, like these characters. They are not predictable or run of the mill.

message 7: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ok - I'm up to around chapter 11 and even though I said this might be filled with spoilers, I'm sticking my thoughts behind a spoiler tag =).

(view spoiler)

Overall, still and enjoyable read and I'm having fun with it. I like the author's writing style.

Happy reading kids!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments From Ch 5:

"The butler bowed, giving no indication that an unchaperoned tonnish lady bowling up to the house at daybreak was unusual. When they all knew how improper it was."

I like that AC does not gloss over violations of social conventions or code of conduct for the time period as "silly" and should be disregarded, but acknowledges the improper behavior.

Also, AC is mixing in period slang expressions that big commercial publishers of HR would not allow editors to let authors use.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Becca wrote: "I am in Chapter 2 right now. The beginning really started off quick but I am enjoying how different these two characters seem to be. I also like how Campbell does analogies that align with whoever'..."

I'm enjoying the differences between the characters too! One of my fave tropes, though not common, is higher status woman/lower status man. However, it's handling of this trope is tricky to make it believable the woman will go against her class/upbringing. There have been times where author is not successful (for me to suspend disbelief for) in carrying off this infrequently used trope.

Also, the two of them despite the short length of this book (a novella after all!) are developing a real connection in joining forces to try to find the boys/long journey/getting to know and respect each other.

This trope doesn't work for me with insta-love or installment-lust.

Becca | 209 comments I am almost to Chapter 10 now. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I like the writing style and it feels more "genuine" to me. I also actually believe the romantic connection in so short a time and have enjoyed the transition with the adventure to save the boys into the more romantic focus. I had to stop reading in order to work but I can't wait to return and finish it! This has been a good one and I've enjoyed exploring the differences and similarities between the couple.

message 11: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Becca wrote: "I am almost to Chapter 10 now. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I like the writing style and it feels more "genuine" to me. I also actually believe the romantic connection in so short a time and ha..."

There are definitely parts of the book I am really enjoying, most, in fact. That said, there are a few that leave me blanching.

I hate the idea of "testing" Anthony when really, it's about Fenella's issues, not Anthony. That's a lot to lay on the poor man.

I'm at the part where Fenella has relented or should I say is overjoyed and shouting yes? I adore that she ran back at a gallop and Anthony was defitely frisky at how well she handed her team of horses. I found that adorable. Almost done...

message 12: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Becca wrote: "I am in Chapter 2 right now. The beginning really started off quick but I am enjoying how different these two characters seem to be. I also like how Campbell does analogies that align..."

For whatever reason, and I'm not done with the book, but it doesn't feel as if the author makes this trope the central theme of her book. It's not the main tension. At least not at this point. That works for me. It doesn't muddy the H/h connection for a change and it feels fresh.

message 13: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 13, 2017 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments You are right Ally, that AC is not playing up the class difference, but I am. Hee

Since this is a novella, the author might not go in the direction of class difference, but I think it's still there.

message 14: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "You are right Ally, that AC is not playing up the class difference, but I am. Hee

Since this is a novella, the author might not go in the direction of class difference, but I think it's still there."

OMG snorting out loud laughing! And yes, it is still there. Always. Not really something that can be ignored.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ally wrote: "Ok - I'm up to around chapter 11 and even though I said this might be filled with spoilers, I'm sticking my thoughts behind a spoiler tag =).

I adore the scene where Anthony and Fenella and the ..."

Yes, that was a good scene with Penny the nanny. I can see why Anthony and Carey love her so.

Though her appearance was brief, it was important to (view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Becca wrote: "I am almost to Chapter 10 now. I'm really enjoying it thus far. I like the writing style and it feels more "genuine" to me. I also actually believe the romantic connection in so short a time and ha..."

Yes, that is really a strong point for this book that writhed was able to create a believesble connection between Fenella and Anthony. No instaAnything for Anna Campbell!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I have finished the book. No spoilers.

I'm giving it 5-stars.

Sometimes novellas romances are hard to pull off bec they feel rushed in terms of building a believable connection between the MC that doesn't fall back on use of "insta-something."

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments I've finished the book.

Warning! Spoilerish comments:

(view spoiler)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ally wrote:"I hate the idea of "testing" Anthony when really, it's about Fenella's issues, not Anthony. That's a lot to lay on the poor man."

Ally,

(view spoiler)

I'll probably cobble some of my comments her into a review for the book. Why reinvent the wheel?

message 20: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'll spoilerize these but I am guessing the cat is out of the bag or your noodle has been cooked, as it were, as there were only three of us on this BR.

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Al George , Mod (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Ally wrote:"I hate the idea of "testing" Anthony when really, it's about Fenella's issues, not Anthony. That's a lot to lay on the poor man."

Ally,

[spoilers removed]

I'll probably cobble some o..."

You make a very valid point there. I will have to go back and re-read that section.

Becca | 209 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "I've finished the book.

Warning! Spoilerish comments:.."

I agree with all your comments! I really enjoyed this story and thought the pacing and characterizations were well done. I really enjoyed this! And with the "moment" you and Ally are discussing, I agree. At first, I was surprised, but then I decided I liked it and how it impacted Fenella. Now I am going back to read about those characters (Lord Stone and Caro) since I realized I hadn't read that first novella yet.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Ally wrote: "And I loved that she loved Henry. That meant the world to me. It really did. It kept Fen a lovable and likable woman. And it made Anthony a better man for his embrace of her Henry.

Anthony was very wise here, not to let a dead man get in the way, but also acknowledge Henry as an important part of Fenella that will always be with her.

Becca | 209 comments When Anthony asked her questions about him, I thought that was deeply romantic and mature. It helped them both move forward. I can't recall the last time I've seen that in a romance. Loved it.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Becca wrote: "When Anthony asked her questions about him, I thought that was deeply romantic and mature. It helped them both move forward. I can't recall the last time I've seen that in a romance. Loved it."

Good point.

I think I have some of Anna Campbell older titles in my kindle app. I think it's time to move them to a higher position in my TBR pile!

Becca | 209 comments Just be aware her novels are very different from these new indie novellas. The novels are much darker. The are really good but different in tone!

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Becca wrote: "Just be aware her novels are very different from these new indie novellas. The novels are much darker. The are really good but different in tone!"

Becca,

I read two of her old novels when I was a new GR member. They both had a darker tone about them.

I was impressed with her writing and I liked that they were both really different.