Catholic Readers discussion

What are you reading in 2017?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 5 comments I just finished Story of a Soul by St Therese and it was wonderful

message 2: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 5 comments I also just finished Lord of the World a sci-fi apocalyptic book written by a British pries tin 1907 that was recommended by Pope Francis. Has anyone else read this?

message 3: by Manuel (new)

Manuel Alfonseca | 345 comments Courtney wrote: "I also just finished Lord of the World a sci-fi apocalyptic book written by a British priest in 1907 that was recommended by Pope Francis. Has anyone else read this?"

I have. Here you can find my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This book was also read last March by the Catholic Book Club. Here is the discussion:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Regards,

message 4: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Almost finished reading Pope John Paul II An Intimate Life The Pope I Knew So Well by Caroline Pigozzi Pope John Paul II: An Intimate Life: The Pope I Knew So Well. It's a really great read.

message 5: by Frances (new)

Frances Richardson | 46 comments I am reading The Day The Revolution Began, by N.T. Wright, an author often compared to C.S. Lewis. The opening sentence of the book draws the reader in the way C.S. Lewis did:
"Young hero wins hearts. . ." And then Wright goes on to explain that that is not the headline you would have seen in 33 A.D., and why. This is the second book by N. T. Wright that I have read, the other being his magisterial work, The Resurrection Of The Son Of God.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments I am reading 'The Power of Silence against the dictatorship of noise' by Robert Cardinal Sarah. This masterpiece began with a quotation from Romano Guardini "The greatest things are accomplished in Silence" it is a delight so far. The thoroughness of the insight are as huge as his first book "God or Nothing"

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna | 44 comments I am almost finished with Champions of the Rosary / Fr. Donald Calloway. I do have The Power of Silence, but I haven't started it, yet.

message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael | 2 comments I will look out for Champion of the Rosary, as a required reading to mark the centenary of Fatima apparitions.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 44 comments Fatima for Today is another excellent book--by Fr. Andrew Apostoli. Of course it focuses on Fatima. Champions of the Rosary is detailed information about the history of the rosary and current information. Excellent, too.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna | 44 comments I have a stack of books to get to but hope to start Cardinal Sarah's newest book very soon.

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Bellerose | 3 comments I just finished At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft. I joined a book club at the college I've enrolled in and this was our book of the month. I recommend it!

message 12: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (ben21) | 4 comments HI Lovecraft is awesome