What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 2 books/1 author: Family saga, woman meets & marries WASPy New Englander, late 80s/early 90s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments In the late 80s or early 90s, I read two books with a similar theme: woman marries WASPy New Englander, book explores her life and their relationship from approximately college age, through their whole married lives.

Book one: I believe she was a college student and met him at college. Possibly she was an interior design major, he was studying to be an architect. They fall in love and marry. The bulk of the book - if not all of it - takes place during the summers at his family's vacation home (on an island?) in New England. They start out as a young couple, eventually have kids, struggle through their relationship during middle age.

Book two: Pretty similar story, but she is a Southerner, from a middle class background. Story explores her adaptation to the northern WASP culture.

I think the author is a popular author (or was at the time), along the lines of Maeve Binchy, Anne Tyler, etc. Maybe not.

I remember really liking these books and I'm wondering if I might like them more now that I'm no longer a college kid and am well and truly in middle age myself. Also, a friend recommended some similar books and I think she'd like these! All help appreciated! Thanks!

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Maybe something by Taylor Caldwell?

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7... - I hope this list might prove helpful too Claudia.

message 3: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments Thanks! Not Taylor Caldwell. I just looked at her books and they weren't familiar. I seem to remember that these books were fairly new in the late 80s or early 90s. I think that I read the first book, liked it, then bought the second one when it came out. Maybe 😏.

Also, I think the second book may have mentioned Autumn in its title...or the cover had an autumn picture on it.

I actually looked at that same list prior to asking here...no luck! Thanks though!

message 4: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments That was a great list wasn't it? I just finished voting on almost 100 books.

Give your request a little time and others here might be able to help you. Good Luck :D

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Anything by Gail Godwin?

message 6: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments No, I just took a look at her books and these books aren't in there. Good suggestion, though- that's the right type of book!

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38146 comments Mod
Something by Alison Lurie?

Could the author be male or female?

message 8: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments No, not her. I am 99% sure the author is female. Both books are from the woman's viewpoint and they explored ideas of losing yourself in a marriage and motherhood, trying to maintain a sense of self, etc.

message 9: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments As I've been trying to figure this out, I was actually really surprised the books weren't by Anne Tyler, until I remembered she mostly writes about Baltimore. They are exactly that type of book and I went through a Tyler stage at that time in my life (early college, early 90s). I even looked through all of her books to see if maybe it was her.

Steph (loves water) | 109 comments Was it Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons?

message 11: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments THAT'S IT!!!!! I think I'm conflating the two books, though, because she's a southerner in that one, but it's about the vacation home. I think the second book I'm thinking of is Peachtree Road, but I'll have to reacquaint myself with her titles to figure out which if hers it is. Now that I'm looking at her books, I think I've read a bunch of them, which isn't surprising because I really liked her stuff.

Thank you!!!!!!! Cheers!

Steph (loves water) | 109 comments Happy to help

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Claudia. Here's the link for Steph's find - Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons.

message 15: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments Thanks!

message 16: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4161 comments I've read Colony too, but I didn't know what WASP is. If you had mentioned girl who lives in somewhat decrepit house and has thing for botany/sketches plants(?) and marries guy who her brother brings home from college and his mother wasn't charmed at all and he had troublesome friend (alcoholic?) and the friend had red-haired daughter... (at least that's how I remember it), I might have recognized it :)