Cozy Mysteries discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What do you think? > Clean mysteries for teens?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Syme (cksyme) I searched and didn't find any thread on this but I had a mom ask me for recommendations for clean mystery reads appropriate for teens? The mom says that her daughter doesn't care if they are about teens--she just wants the sex & gore left out. Probably no F word either.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments I'd definitely recommend Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot & Miss Marple. I was a teenager when I started reading them. Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series may be a good fit, because Archie is a great character, but she may balk at the idea of "old" books.

If she's looking for something light and fun, Robin Steven's Wells & Wong/Murder Most Unladylike series are great fun, though they are written for middle readers, so she may not want to read a child's book.

Pretty much any of the cozy series fit the bill. I read Mary Daheim's Bed & Breakfast as my first contemporary mystery series when I was in high school.

message 3: by Chris (new)

Chris Syme (cksyme) Thanks a Lynn. Great suggestions.

message 4: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments Most of the books I read have no sex or volience. Try Edie Claire's Leigh Ludlow series.

message 5: by Lynn (last edited Jun 07, 2017 08:41PM) (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments Ohh, just thought about it further. Rhys Bowen's Her Royal Spyness series is excellent. There is some innuendo, but nothing graphic. And using real people as characters is interesting and fun. I would have loved those as a teen, when I just getting into studying history beyond the textbooks -- it's purely fiction, but the setting & real people make it a fun introduction to the period.

Carola Dunn's Daisy Dalrymple mysteries are great fun too. And they may be hard to find, but Michael Bond's Monsieur Pamplemousse mysteries are great, fun reads. I call them slapstick in book form. Monsieur Pamplemousse & Pommes Frites never fail to lift my spirits when I need some light reading.

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 524 comments Adding another suggestion: Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy mysteries. The scenes with the animals are excellent and the illustrations are great additions.

message 7: by Chris (last edited Jun 08, 2017 03:30AM) (new)

Chris Syme (cksyme) Thanks Lynn and Betty

message 8: by Sundus (new)

Sundus (sundus_7) | 2 comments The Gallagher Girls by Ally Carter is clean but there are few kisses and The Hardy Boys by Franklin W. Dixon.

message 9: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Jun 08, 2017 07:12AM) (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18196 comments Mod
Hi Chris,

There is actually a discussion for this topic under the "Find a Book or Series" section. Here's the link: Cozies for teenager.

Closing this topic as it is a duplicate. '-)

Heather
Co-Mod

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.