Play Book Tag discussion

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
This topic is about Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
June 2017: Coming of Age > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7011 comments This is a powerful novel about deep friendship. At the age of 7 Lily and Snow Flower are paired together as "old sames" and learn to correspond with the secret writing of women, nu shu. Lily is now eighty and is writing about this friendship that begins early on in their foot binding process and endures for decades before there is a painful rift.

This is definitely the best I've read from Lisa See, and I'm glad I finally read it. Even better, I'm glad to have read it when I had an afternoon to devote to it, because I didn't want to leave off reading it more than I absolutely had to. The language, the life, the love these two had for each other in nineteenth century China, even as they spent most of their time apart, is hauntingly honest in it's telling, and moving.

LibraryCin | 8335 comments What did you rate it, Karin?

Ladyslott | 1880 comments This is my favorite book by Lisa See and I think I have read all her books.

message 4: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I've enjoyed all the Lisa See's I've read so far, and I own this one. I should have put this on my PBT Prosperous challenge!!!

Karin | 7011 comments LibraryCin wrote: "What did you rate it, Karin?"

Sorry, 5 stars! I put that in the Prosperity challenge but forgot here!