Play Book Tag discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
June 2017: Coming of Age > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1084 comments Jacob Portman grew up hearing his grandfather's fantastic stories of peculiar children and monsters. As he grew he put them aside a fairy tales. However, when at 16 his grandfather is brutally killed, his dying words send Jake looking for the source of the stories. In Wales where his grandfather was sent as a refugee, Jacob looks for the home only to find a bombed out ruins. But a fleeting glimpse of a running girl leads him to wonder if they are still alive in hiding and he follows. So begins a whole new part of his life and the answers to the questions he has about his grandfather.

Interesting premise and story especially with the old photographs used to highlight the story.

message 2: by Jenni Elyse (new) - added it

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1315 comments I'm very interested in reading this one. I'm not sure what I'll think. I hope I'll like it, though. I've heard terrible things about the movie, unfortunately. :/

Karin | 7014 comments This was a 3 star read for me as well. I've also heard bad things about the movie.

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments Three stars for me as well. I'm not a fan of YA and this is one that didn't make the cross-over into adult fiction for me. I have no plans to go on with the series.

message 5: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3810 comments I actually really enjoyed the movie.... They changed A LOT (way too much) from the book, but if you kind of thing of them as two different entities, I still liked both.

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I read this for my book club and I liked it. I also thought the movie was good.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 195 comments Joi wrote: "I actually really enjoyed the movie.... They changed A LOT (way too much) from the book, but if you kind of thing of them as two different entities, I still liked both."

Just saw the movie, didn't like it. The changes were too much for me.

annapi | 4984 comments I have not read the rest of the series, only the first one, but I wonder if the movie encompasses all three books? From the descriptions on Amazon of books 2 & 3 I'm not sure.

message 9: by AJ (new) - rated it 1 star

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments This was a DNF for me

annapi | 4984 comments While I enjoyed the first book, I find I have no inclination to pick up the rest. At least not in the near future.

message 11: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3810 comments annapi wrote: "I have not read the rest of the series, only the first one, but I wonder if the movie encompasses all three books? From the descriptions on Amazon of books 2 & 3 I'm not sure."

I haven't read past the first book, but the movie really only encompasses the first book. No idea if they are planning on doing more movies- but with the changes that were made, I think it might be more and more different, and deviate even more just based on preexisting changes from the first book (character "abilities" changed, that kind of thing).