Mount TBR 2017 discussion

Level 3: Mt. Vancouver (36) > Pamela's leap to the next Peak

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela (last edited Aug 18, 2017 04:11PM) (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Running List:
print unless otherwise noted
* listened to audio library copy (own print or eBook)

-----------first peak: Mt. Blanc------------

January:
1. Zeitoun by Dave Eggers
2. The Red Car by Marcy Dermansky
3. Green Girl by Kate Zambreno
4. Best Boy by Eli Gottlieb *
5. People of the Nightland by W. Michael Gear & Kathleen O'Neal Gear
6. Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín * (eBook)

February:
7. Darktown by Thomas Mullen *
8. The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
9. Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah (audio)
10. George Carlin Reads to You: An Audio Collection Including Recent Grammy Winners Braindroppings and Napalm & Silly Putty by George Carlin (audio)

March:
11. Periodic Tales: A Cultural History of the Elements, from Arsenic to Zinc by Hugh Aldersey-Williams (eBook)
12. The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena *
13. Kafka's Curse by Achmat Dangor
14. Just Kids by Patti Smith (audio)
15. Mercury by Margot Livesey *
16. The Game by Laurie R. King (audio)

April:
17. So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson (audio)
18. The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring by Richard Preston (eBook)
19. Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1) by Kim Stanley Robinson (audio) [partial/did not finish]
20. The Beauty of the End by Debbie Howells

May:
21. Drowning Ruth by Christina Schwarz
22. Next by Michael Crichton (audio)
23. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders *
24. The Art of Crash Landing by Melissa DeCarlo

-----------next peak: Mt. Vancouver----------

June:
25. The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict
26. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis (audio & print)
27. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
28. People of the Weeping Eye by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear

July:
29. Carry On: Two Young Men, a Journalist Who Wouldn't Walk Away, and the Creation of an Unlikely Family by Lisa Fenn
30. Blood at the Root: A Racial Cleansing in America by Patrick Phillips *
31. The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore
32. Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving * [partial/did not finish]

August:
33. You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson
34. Utopia by Thomas More *
35. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (audio)
36. Afterparty by Daryl Gregory (audio)

onto next peak!

message 2: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments First book done for this new peak. Read The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict. It was an interesting book focused on the wife of Albert Einstein. I started watching the TV series Genius and the book goes well with the series, albeit another fictional take on their story.

The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict
I got the print book last summer. Rating this 4 stars, maybe review too.

message 3: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book number 26 is done with Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis. I found this an interesting read. I do need to read more about history particularly American, so I'm happy I finally read this book.

Founding Brothers The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph J. Ellis
This was a two for one. I own a print book, probably got it in 2011, not entirely sure, and own the audio, which I bought in July 2016. I primarily listened to the audio book.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book number 27 is now done. The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan. A very sweet book. Almost too sweet for me. It is about books, so it's got a lot going for it.

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
I got the print book in July 2016 but I listened to the audio version, which was a very nice way to read this book.

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book number 28 done People of the Weeping Eye by W. Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear. This is book #15 in the series, but also part one of two for the Moundville Duology. I don't have the second book, and no library near me has it. So another book to buy and read. I'm going to try doing that sooner than later so I don't forget the characters and their struggles. Great book series overall though.
People of the Weeping Eye (Moundville Duology #1; North America's Forgotten Past #15) by W. Michael Gear

I bought this paperback in June 2014 I believe. Sometimes I'm not too accurate with the acquired dates and for a while I could rely on goodreads and my logging when I changed a book from want to read to own, but no longer.

Finished June with my forth book of the month, I'm making steady progress! Good thing too, as new books keep coming in.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book 29 done with the very powerful book Carry On: Two Young Men, a Journalist Who Wouldn't Walk Away, and the Creation of an Unlikely Family by Lisa Fenn. I'm still recovering from this one. A very good (and emotional) book. Some say a movie is destined to be made from this story. Perhaps. They are still living their lives, so maybe not in the near future.

Carry On Two Young Men, a Journalist Who Wouldn't Walk Away, and the Creation of an Unlikely Family by Lisa Fenn
The book was published last year, when I got a copy.

Also I was able to remove another book from my bookshelves. I started it yesterday and quickly realized it was not for me. I'm not counting it here as I didn't read very much. but happily it will be moving on.

message 7: by Pamela (last edited Jul 18, 2017 09:01AM) (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book 30 completed with Blood at the Root: A Racial Cleansing in America by Patrick Phillips. A well told tale of the county where the author grew up. A shocking, sad part of Georgia history.

Blood at the Root A Racial Cleansing in America by Patrick Phillips
I listened to the audio but got a copy of the print book last summer in 2016.

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book 31 done today with The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore. I enjoyed reading this book, interesting historical fiction that has changed so much of our daily life. It's about electricity, but also patents and how business and law is run. There's also a love story and a bit of mystery. Well written book, I rated it 5 stars.

The Last Days of Night by Graham Moore
This is another print book I got last summer in 2016. Lots of good books last year, and a bunch this year that I am trying to hold off reading... they will work for next year's challenge.

message 9: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Well, book 32 done a little earlier than expected as I stopped about 30% in. It's too long a book to keep going when I really wasn't not enjoying it. I just wanted it over, so figured yes, stop, there's so many other books I have to still read that I know I can enjoy more. Anyway, it was Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving.

Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving
Maybe other people will enjoy it more than me. I got this book in July 2015. Was not worth the wait. I will be giving away my print copy, but I tried this book via audio from the library.

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book 33 now completed with You Can't Touch My Hair: And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson. Hit or miss for me and the essays.
You Can't Touch My Hair And Other Things I Still Have to Explain by Phoebe Robinson

This is another print book I got last summer in 2016. Only about half-way through those books. Phew, there's a lot! Not to mention the ton of books I've had for many years. At least I'm currently reading a couple of those. One I will finish soon, hoping tomorrow, the other is a much slower read.

message 11: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Yep, book 34 completed today. Utopia by Thomas More. This has long been on my want to read list, and very happy I finally read it. As was expected, somewhat dry and dated. I mean it was written over 500 years ago! Actually I was a little disappointed with some of it...then again maybe I'm being too judgmental for such an old book. Have to really consider my rating...and I just finished the book a few moments ago.

Utopia by Thomas More

I'm not entirely sure when I bought the print copy, at least four years ago, most likely longer. I did end up listening to a library version on audio book. I might pick up my print copy and read the introduction, as the audio didn't have that aspect. It might help me with rating the book too, see it all in a new light. Anyway, glad I finally did read it!

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book 35 finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.
I enjoyed the book more than I figured when I bought it awhile back. Now looking forward to the movie.
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

I listened to the audio book, that I bought in June 2016. It's narrated by the author too, and does a very good job of it. Some author's don't narrate their books very well, but Walls does.

One more book to go to reach the peak!

message 13: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 76 comments Book 36 now done! Afterparty by Daryl Gregory. I was surprised how much I liked this book. More of a thriller/mystery type book than I expected. It's set in the near future with some slight differences to today. Interesting premise but not fully explored. Good book, not great.
Afterparty by Daryl Gregory

I listened to the book that I bought in late November 2014. Kinda wish I had tackled the book back then, but glad I did get to it.

And this makes the top of Mt. Vancouver!! YAY!! Moving to the next peak, maybe that one too?? Still have some time before the end of the year, will see...