Vegan Cooking & Cookbooks discussion

Vegan Cookbooks > The Vegan Air Fryer

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 30 comments Great! I have an air fryer. I usually only use it for company.

message 2: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Don wrote: "It was most delicious. It has tang of tamarind, salty from "fish sauce" and spice from hot chili pepper. Loved it.."

I'm so glad!

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments A co-worker just ran up to me and handed over JL Fields' air fryer book! I really like the Asian-style seasonings included. I can't wait to try the egg rolls and wontons!

message 4: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Don wrote: "Sambal goreng - This should be made with tempeh as it's an Indonesian dish but the store didn't have any and I didn't feel like going to another store, so I made it with tofu instead. I used shallo..."

Don, I'm looking at that recipe right now. I am going to have to get some new seasonings (yay!) like tamarind paste and ponzu and Fysh sauce.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Don wrote: "Renee wrote: "A co-worker just ran up to me and handed over JL Fields' air fryer book! I really like the Asian-style seasonings included. I can't wait to try the egg rolls and wontons!"

I've made ..."

Don wrote: "Renee wrote: "Don wrote: "Sambal goreng - This should be made with tempeh as it's an Indonesian dish but the store didn't have any and I didn't feel like going to another store, so I made it with t..."

Because my cupboard space stores so little (I have to take everything out in order to find the one item I want), I am thinking of purchasing a simple stand-alone pantry for all the herbs and spices and sauces that I plan to get!

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Don wrote: "Renee wrote: "A co-worker just ran up to me and handed over JL Fields' air fryer book! I really like the Asian-style seasonings included. I can't wait to try the egg rolls and wontons!"

I've made ..."

Don, I will. Maybe I'll even finally take a photo!

message 7: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments Sorry I'm late to the game, but I'm jumping for joy on this.
I love making tofu in my air fryer and fried potatoes of any kind are a revelation.
I brush firm, pressed tofu with olive oil, season only with s&p and let her rip for 25 at 400. That crunchy exterior with creamy interior is the most satisfying thing over whatever makes you happy. My omni spouse will eat a whole block if I'm not careful!!!
Can't wait to check out this book.
Wish we had a group lending library. ;)

message 8: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Tatjana wrote: "I love making tofu in my air fryer ."

When people ask me, "Do I need an air fryer?" I say, "Of course not. But for the tofu alone, it's worth it!"

Happy to meet another vegan air frying enthusiast! 😀 (Speaking of which, I have a FB group for vegan air frying here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheVe... - 8,600+ members!)

message 9: by Tatjana (last edited Jun 29, 2017 04:28PM) (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments J.L. wrote: "Tatjana wrote: "I love making tofu in my air fryer ."

When people ask me, "Do I need an air fryer?" I say, "Of course not. But for the tofu alone, it's worth it!"

Happy to meet another vegan air..."

Oh MY!!! I'm all over THAT like bubbles on my delicious fried tofu. Cheers! :)

message 10: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Don wrote: " but comes out oh so crazy good!."

OH! I'm so glad you liked them! They are go-to when people come over for drinks for exactly that reason ... so easy to pull together!

message 11: by LJean (last edited Jul 03, 2017 07:29PM) (new)

LJean | 24 comments Those look wonderful, Don. I put this book on preorder as soon as it became available and I still haven't made anything! I think I'm just intimidated by getting the air fryer clean after the oil has been flying around inside.

The first time I used it (using a little less than a tablespoon of olive oil) the oil spatter got into the indented grooves that go around the basket and it was impossible to remove. I ordered a replacement basket which is still in the box because I'm not sure what I did wrong.

I really want to make the Buffalo cauliflower, baked apples, and sambal goreng tempeh!

message 12: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) LJean, you don't out oil in the air fryer! You can put some on the food before transferring it to the basket or you can lightly spray oil on the food in the basket. But you don't pour any oil into the fryer.

message 13: by LJean (last edited Jul 03, 2017 11:01PM) (new)

LJean | 24 comments Thanks, JL! I'll have to try it without any oil and see how it goes. The first time, I just tossed potatoes in the oil with some garlic and rosemary, then transferred them to the basket. It was the weirdest thing; almost like it fused with the nonstick coating where the ridges meet the smooth part. (I looked at it again and they're ridges, not indentations like I thought they were.)

I noticed the huge list of brands that you have in the back of the book. I bought the Philips XL because I wanted the grill pan and skewers, but maybe I'll google some of the others and see if any of them have baskets with completely smooth walls.

message 14: by LJean (new)

LJean | 24 comments Thanks, Don. I've just added a GoWise to my "saved for later" list on Amazon in case the second Philips basket has problems. I wish I had known about them earlier. I could have had an entire GoWise air fryer for the price I paid for the Philips replacement basket + shipping!

message 15: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments My Gowise is also smooth and easy to clean.
AND
I've just ordered this book.

message 16: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) For the bakers who have an air fryer.... I finally baked bread in my air fryer! I made a sourdough boule and air fried it for 20 minutes. Details here: https://jlgoesvegan.com/air-fryer-sou...

message 17: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments I'm going to give it a go using my vegan gf sourdough. I'm squee-ing on the inside.

message 18: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Tatjana wrote: " I'm squee-ing on the inside."

Me, too! let me know how it goes!

message 19: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) This is a GREAT price (and it was my first one) but it's actually been that price for a couple of weeks. You do NOT have to be a Prime member to get that price.

message 20: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments My book arrived last night. I did a jig in my kitchen. Fried parsnips?? COUNT ME IN!

message 21: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Tatjana wrote: "My book arrived last night. I did a jig in my kitchen. Fried parsnips?? COUNT ME IN!"

Ha! Love it! Hope you enjoy!

message 22: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Don wrote: "Loved loved loved.."

This makes me SO HAPPY!

message 23: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments Don wrote: "Kale and potato nuggets ....The combo was so good I a..."
They look amazing! Thank you!

message 24: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) 👍

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee Thompson (reneethompson) | 65 comments Don wrote: "Kale and potato nuggets - Again, this is one of those "the sum is greater than the parts" recipes. It has potatoes, kale, garlic, a splash of almond milk, salt and pepper. The combo was so good I a..."

Wow. Kale and potato nuggets are next on my list!

message 26: by Tatjana (new)

Tatjana (antoniabird) | 43 comments AND the beautiful photo!

message 27: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) I hope you don’t mind me sharing this here but I’m so excited! My book The Vegan Air Fryer was selected by VegNews Magazine as the 2017 Cookbook of the Year!

message 28: by Estee (new)

Estee Raviv | 8 comments Congratulations!

message 29: by J.L. (new)

J.L. Fields (jlfields) Estee wrote: "Congratulations!"

Thank you!