Book Cover Reviews discussion

Cover Reviews > seeking advice

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Blackburn | 5 comments I've been asked to do a cover for a period story set in the 30s, They want a monster B-movie poster style for the cover. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to achieve "the look"?

message 2: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 398 comments Mod
Sounds interesting! I’d first want to know and investigate the genre. Is it a Thriller? Mystery? Adventure? Genre covers tend to have certain graphic styles that readers expect. That would be my first research effort: study lots of popular book covers in that genre. Then, go to Google Images and search for “1930s monster B-movie poster.” Man oh man, all kinds of super great images pop up. Here’s just one:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/...

As to techniques and craft of the cover design, that’s up to you and your skills and strengths. It looks to me like most of the 1930s art was hand-painted. But you could do something similar with modern tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Does that help? Be sure to show us what you come up with.

H
(the monster that challenged the world!)

message 3: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Blackburn | 5 comments The author tells me that the story is about a movie studio shooting a monster movie about a Rusalka (slavic mythology, freshwater siren) and the script contains an invocation rite, which awakens a real Rusalka. Suddenly movie cast and crew start disappearing. This is what I've got so far but I'm not sure if it's too little, not enough...bit outside my usual photo manips.

message 4: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 398 comments Mod
Thanks for added info and draft cover. You may be in uncharted territory here so not sure if it's too little or too much or what.

One thing I'd suggest is enlarge your main title to give it more power. And also slide your "written by" text block down to give some air to the main figure and also get rid of some of the text contrast issues behind that block.

Beyond that, I'm not sure... :)

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Blackburn | 5 comments Thank you! I wasn't sure if it needed *something* more to capture that movie poster look or what. I mean, it still needs to work as a book cover, first and foremost.

I appreciate your opinion!