Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2017 Summer Reading Program > [2017] Week 1 - Beach Reads - July 3-9

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia (last edited Jun 28, 2017 08:20AM) (new)

Julia PM | 33 comments Mod
There are seven weekly themes that you can choose to participate in during the summer reading program. The first weekly theme is "Beach Reads," from July 3-9.

What is a beach read? A beach read is a book that isn't too intense, light and fluffy. It is one that, if you are distracted from it, you won't have too much trouble mentally resuming the plot. It is not restricted to one particular genre and can include romance, mystery, adventure, etc.

Share what you read for your beach read and what you thought of it here!

message 2: by Julia (last edited Jun 09, 2017 01:56PM) (new)

Week 1 - Beach Reads (July 3-9)

1. All the Single Ladies - Dorothea Benton Frank
2. Beachcombers - Nancy Thayer
3. Silver Girl - Elin Hilderbrand
4. Shanghai Girls - Lisa See
5. The Assistants-Camille Perri
6. Outlander Series-Diana Gabaldon
7. Sweetbitter- Stephanie Danler
8. One Plus One - Jojo Moyes
9. The Goldfinch – Donna Tartt
10. Girl With a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
11. Where’d You Go, Bernadette – Maria Semple
12. Big Stone Gap, #1 in the Big Stone Gap series - Adriana Trigiani
13. The Quilter’s Apprentice, #1 in the Elm Creek Quilts series -
Jennifer Chiaverini
14. Maine: A Novel - J. Courtney Sullivan
15. A Grown Up Kind of Pretty - Joshilyn Jackson
16. Sweetwater Creek - Anne River Siddons
17. The Gilly Salt Sisters – Tiffany Baker
18. The Secret Keeper - Kate Morton
19. We Are Water - Wally Lamb
20. The Invisible Bridge – Julie Orringer

message 3: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments D'oh! I am currently reading (listening to as audiobook) #11. Great book so far! And I've read/listened to #10. Question: what makes a book a "beach read"? Does the "beach read" need to be from this list?

message 4: by Julia (new)

Mirkat wrote: "D'oh! I am currently reading (listening to as audiobook) #11. Great book so far! And I've read/listened to #10. Question: what makes a book a "beach read"? Does the "beach read" need to be from thi..."

Great questions! A beach read is a book that isn't too intense, light and fluffy. It is one that, if you are distracted from it, you won't have too much trouble mentally resuming the plot. It is not restricted to one particular genre and can include romance, mystery, adventure, etc.

The list above contains a sampling of suggestions that we have put together, but you are most certainly welcome to read any book of your choosing!

message 5: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments Okay, thanks....

Also: I think #18 above is probably supposed to be The Forgotten Garden ?

message 6: by Lauren (last edited Jun 08, 2017 11:49AM) (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Mirkat wrote: "Okay, thanks....

Also: I think #18 above is probably supposed to be The Forgotten Garden?"

Or The Secret Keeper!

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Karmel | 3 comments I recently read Modern Lovers by Emma Straub, which I would consider a good "beach read," although I was not on vacation myself when I read it. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 8: by Judi (new)

Judi | 14 comments My beach read is "The Woman Next door" by Cass Green. Only problem is I keep thinking it would make a good screwball comedy with Lucille Ball. Maybe the last 1/3 will change my mind. So far it's fun.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Those are great suggestions, thanks Judi and Jonathan!
One series I discovered this year that I think would make a great beach read is the Mapp and Lucia books by E.F. Benson. Very, very funny, and fluffy and light.
And if you read them in the omnibus version, it gives you a great arm workout, as well!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments Julia wrote: "Week 1 - Beach Reads (July 3-9)

Am I the only woman who hated Outlander? I only read the first one. I kind of want to know what happened in subsequent books, but can only bear to read about a 2 page synopsis. Anyone know of any?

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Susan wrote: "Julia wrote: "Week 1 - Beach Reads (July 3-9)

Am I the only woman who hated Outlander? I only read the first one. I kind of want to know what happened in subsequent books, but can only bear to rea..."

Susan, I hated Outlander too! I made it about 200 pages into book 1, then skimmed the rest to see what happened. I was so disappointed. It does look like Wikipedia actually has summaries of all the books- here's the link to book 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonf...

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments Thanks, Lauren!

message 13: by Julia (new)

Susan wrote: "Julia wrote: "Week 1 - Beach Reads (July 3-9)

Am I the only woman who hated Outlander? I only read the first one. I kind of want to know what happened in subsequent books, but can only bear to rea..."

I have only read a part of the first Outlander book as well. The graphic novel version was decent, but I highly recommend the television show to see how the story unfolded. From friends who have read the books, the show is pretty faithful to the books.

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Hello! I'm planning on using this time to read as many of the books from my "want to read" shelf of Goodreads as I can get through, on theme when possible. The older items that have lingered, but not dropped off my list. I'm planning on taking a stack on vacation (first 2 weeks of July. Laurie

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Karmel | 3 comments Here are 2 good beach books I'm reading: (1) The Leftovers, by Tom Perrotta and (2) The Arrangement, by Sarah Dunn . . .

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (knittinglinguist) | 1 comments Good morning!
I have several books I've started but not finished:
Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt (UHLS ebook)
The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen (UHLS ebook)
Daring Greatly by Brene Brown (UHLS ebook)
Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (analog book I own)
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin (analog book I own)
reread of American Gods by Neil Gaiman (ebook I own)

message 17: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments My beach read came in yesterday - chose Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. It's older, but Judy always makes you care about the characters. :)

message 18: by Mirkat (last edited Jun 29, 2017 06:47AM) (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments Okay, finished the book I was already reading and listening to when this party was getting started and can now officially begin my beach read, which will be Beachcombers . Although I can't get credit for it, if anyone is interested in my review of The Woman in Cabin 10 , it can be read here.

message 19: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments I just finished TWO great beach reads: Small Admissions and The Boston Girl.

message 20: by Rafaela (new)

Rafaela (rnunn2302) I'm starting Shanghai Girls today

message 21: by Julia (new)

I had the best of intentions to start reading the debut Chemistry by Weike Wang during my weekend away, but I did not get a chance to even open it! I am planning to start reading it tonight!

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments Julia wrote: "I had the best of intentions to start reading the debut Chemistry by Weike Wang during my weekend away, but I did not get a chance to even open it! I am planning to start reading it tonight!"
oh, this book sounds really interesting! will probably come away from Summer Reading with more books on my "to read" list than my "read" list.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Joyce | 2 comments I've got a J. Courtney book I'm reading for my beach read, Engagements. I'm looking forward to it after finishing Saints for all Occasions.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren C | 81 comments Susan wrote: "I just finished TWO great beach reads: Small Admissions and The Boston Girl."

Susan, I just added Small Admissions to my to-read list-- looking forward to it! Thanks for the recommendation.

message 25: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Boo | 5 comments I don't know that this counts as a beach read (def chick lit, but certainly not fluff) - On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins. I just finished it, and I LOVED IT. I loved everything about it. I think the last time I felt this good about a book was the last one I read by her: "If You Only Knew." (and some of the characters from that book are in this newest one.) I absolutely recommend. (minor spoiler alert: one of the main characters is dealing with the sudden loss of a spouse-- at a young age --so heads up for those of you who may want to avoid such a story.)

message 26: by Rich (new)

Rich Pearson-strain (richpearson-strain) | 35 comments My beach read is “In the Shadow of Gotham” by Stefanie Pintoff...was looking to read a James Patterson, harking back to my high school days enjoying his books upon the beaches of Cape Cod, when this book jumped out on the book shelf. Historical fiction combined with NYC centric atmosphere, I was sold. Having finished the book, if you like mystery, historical fiction, and true crime type books, you will probably find this an enjoyable, if not slightly predictable read.

message 27: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments Betsy wrote: "I don't know that this counts as a beach read (def chick lit, but certainly not fluff) - On Second Thought by Kristan Higgins. I just finished it, and I LOVED IT. I loved everything about it. I thi..."
Thanks for the suggestion. It is hard to find lighter reads/chick lit that have some substance.

message 28: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments Susan, a book that is on the list of suggested beach reads, above, and which fits the bill for lighter reads with substance? Where'd You Go, Bernadette .

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments Mirkat wrote: "Susan, a book that is on the list of suggested beach reads, above, and which fits the bill for lighter reads with substance? Where'd You Go, Bernadette." Thanks, Mirkat. I actually read that one this past winter. Wishing to be at the beach, perhaps?

message 30: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments Yeah, I read it before the summer reading started, too. :)

message 31: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodysquadere) | 38 comments My beach read was "Miss You" by Kate Eberlen. Such a guilty pleasure summer book. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I would recommend it as a good beach read as long as you don't want to come away with a life lesson. Cute, debut author. I laughed, I cried.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.