Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR: The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jun 07, 2017 07:49AM) (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Hey guys! A bunch of us are going to read Julia Quinn's latest book, The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband, together! We'll probably start this weekend :)

message 2: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I am in.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Yay :) Becca and Lacey are, too, I'm just waiting to hear back from them about when they'd like to start

message 4: by Lacey (last edited Jun 07, 2017 12:37PM) (new)

Lacey | 267 comments I'm ready whenever you are! I'm not reading anything right now because I just don't know what to pick next so I'm free to start this weekend if you guys want to :)

message 5: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Count me in

message 6: by Becca (new)

Becca | 209 comments I am ready when you guys get your book!

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Well, my copy should arrive on Friday. So shall we say Saturday? Do you guys just want to discuss as we all progress or do you want to set a certain amount of chapters per day?

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
I hope you all enjoy! I will follow the conversation and may join in some since I have read it, but I promise to keep it spoiler free.

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 430 comments I will join in too after I read A Duke to Die For this weekend

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments My copy is at the post office so I'll start on the weekend as well.

message 11: by Bree (new)

Bree | 6 comments I just finished reading this book thus week so I am looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say about it once they have read it :)

message 12: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments I like to set a certain amount of chapters per day and I'll try to stick to it this time!

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Mh. The book has 22 chapters + epilogue. Should we say 3 chapters a day and try if it works for everyone?
Also, a friend of mine suggested something for another buddy read that I think is a good idea: if you use spoilers maybe add some info before the spoiler which chapter you are at so other people can see where you are at, so they know not to read it if they haven't gotten there yet? Just a thought. I think with so many people it's safer ^^

message 14: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Hey guy! I picked this up yesterday...and plowed through the whole thing in one shot and I ADORED IT!!! I had been having a lousy time with my reading lately and this fixed my mood. I freaking adored the characters and all the banter and I can't wait to hear all your thoughts. I think I liked it better than the first which which I also really liked.

message 15: by Priya (last edited Jun 09, 2017 10:12AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Andrea wrote: "Mh. The book has 22 chapters + epilogue. Should we say 3 chapters a day and try if it works for everyone?
Also, a friend of mine suggested something for another buddy read that I think is a good i..."

Posting Chapter numbers is very helpful. Some of us do that for group reads. We can choose which spoiler to read.

message 16: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments I have this book on hold at the library. It's suppose to be due back 6/24. I'll stop back by after reading to review comments and share my thoughts.

message 17: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Mh. The book has 22 chapters + epilogue. Should we say 3 chapters a day and try if it works for everyone?
Also, a friend of mine suggested something for another buddy read that I think is a good i..."

I think that it's good idea as well :) and 3 chapters per day sounds good to me.

message 18: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments I have started reading it...loving it so far.
Hurry u all

message 19: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I finished our BOTM just now. I will start this one tomorrow. 3 chapters a day is good.

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments I'll start tomorrow as well. I started the first chapter and when the heroine said something about the hero being practically engaged to his neighbor I had to do a quick re-read of Because of Miss Bridgerton because I couldn't remember anything about that :D But it turns out, Billie does say she had always thought she'd marry either Edward or Andrew Rokesby before she realized she belonged with George :D

message 21: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments I'll start tomorrow too :)

message 22: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Does anyone else love JQ's dedications to her husband as much as I do? Just wondering :D

message 23: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments So how do you guys feel about the premise? I like that they feel like they already know each other from the letters they exchanged. But I'm not sure how I feel about the lie she told. I get that it makes sense and would've gotten her answers about her brother's fate. Guess it all depends on how long she keeps the truth from Edward.

message 24: by Andrea (last edited Jun 11, 2017 04:27PM) (new)

Andrea | 635 comments You know, I'm only 6 chapters in, but I am loving these two together. The way they're already bickering is adorable. That scene where he fell asleep in the tub was so cute. And OMG the man blushed when she says it was nice of him to humor his mother. Blushed! How adorable is that??? 😍

But I do think that was the fastest any JQ heroine has ever been kissed by her hero. 82 pages. Still worked for me though, because it doesn't feel like they're strangers to me. How about you guys?

message 25: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments Is it too late for me to join? I had my eye on this one but some of the reviews had me wondering if I should buy it?

message 26: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Andrea wrote: "Does anyone else love JQ's dedications to her husband as much as I do? Just wondering :D"

I always loved her dedications to her Paul. Sometimes they are very funny. It is obvious she loves him.

message 27: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Andrea wrote: "You know, I'm only 6 chapters in, but I am loving these two together. The way they're already bickering is adorable. That scene where he fell asleep in the tub was so cute. And OMG the man blushed ..."

I am at Chapter 7 and I like our MCs more and more with each chapter.
I know it is too early a kiss, but then Edward kind of already knew her through the letters and he thought that she is his wife. He simply kissed his wife. Also I think they both are in love with each other, only they didn't realise it yet.

Cecilia's lie is bothering me. I hope she confesses to Edward before the relation gets complicated.

message 28: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Tammy wrote: "Is it too late for me to join? I had my eye on this one but some of the reviews had me wondering if I should buy it?"

It is never late, Tammy. Some of us started reading only yesterday.

message 29: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments I have reached ch#13, and the things happening in it ...dont know how Edward is going to forgive her.

Coming to start, these letters are saviour of this book. Because of these letters I can only digest all this web of lie. Hero is in such misery situation, but still it is making me laugh and sighs..well its Julia style ofcourse.
On reaching half of book, I realy want to happen something now.

message 30: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Andrea wrote: "I'll start tomorrow as well. I started the first chapter and when the heroine said something about the hero being practically engaged to his neighbor I had to do a quick re-read of [book:Because of..."

When I started this book, I count this 'nearly fiance' as more trouble. Because in book, it is not yet cleared that his ex fiance is his sister in law now.
Your comment save my day

message 31: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Andrea wrote: "So how do you guys feel about the premise? I like that they feel like they already know each other from the letters they exchanged. But I'm not sure how I feel about the lie she told. I get that it..."

She continue the lie for herself & also for Edward. With all her lines of pov author justify it. But ofvourse Edward will not think in that way

message 32: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments I'm really behind all of you since I'm on chapter 3. I like what I'm reading so far. I like the idea of the letters, I think it's sweet and a good way to get to know each other.
I'll try to catch up today!

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 430 comments I'm up to chapter 3 and like Cecelia and Edward very much.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

With regard to Cecelia's lying about being married to Edward, I can understand her perspective. It is the only way that any of the officers will tell her anything. Just look at Major Wilkins' change in attitude when he learned she was married to the son of an Earl.

As to her not telling Edward the truth, that is more worrisome, but again, she doesn't really know him that well so her fear that he might repudiate her is not out of the question.

I'm not a fan of the keeping secrets trope so I hope this isn't dragged out too long.

One thing that I did notice was the Cecelia is quite outspoken. She doesn't think twice before telling the Colonel that he get the doctor or answering back to Wilkins. This is not typical of the time period.

message 34: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm up to chapter 3 and like Cecelia and Edward very much.

***SPOILERS BELOW***

With regard to Cecelia's lying about being married to Edward, I can understand her perspective. It is the only way ..."

I agree with you. I do understand her reasons but like you, I'm not a fan of keeping secrets so it all depends when she decides to tell Edward the truth.

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Priya wrote: "I always loved her dedications to her Paul. Sometimes they are very funny. It is obvious sh..."

I think my favorite is "And also for Paul, even though when I went him for medical advice to save my ailing hero, he replied, 'He has to die.'" :D

message 36: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Mahak wrote: "She continue the lie for herself & also for Edward. With all her lines of pov author justify it. But of course Edward will not think in that way .."

Oh boy. That doesn't sound good... She's already obsessing so much about telling him, but if she really just won't... That's not good

message 37: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Lacey wrote: "I'm really behind all of you since I'm on chapter 3. I like what I'm reading so far. I like the idea of the letters, I think it's sweet and a good way to get to know each other.
I'll try to catch up today!"

I'm still at chapter 7, so no worries :D I also really like the letters. They're not very deep yet (like, say Beatrix's in Love in the Afternoon), but I think they show quite nicely why those two feel like they know each other a little bit because of them

message 38: by Lauren (last edited Jun 12, 2017 09:44AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 430 comments I'm up to chapter 17 (not including):

***SPOILER BELOW***

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments I started last night. I'm on Chapter 9. I agree about the secret keeping trope, I'm not a fan. I hope once she tells the truth it doesn't lead to them separating while he realizes he loves her-kind of like the big misunderstanding trope

message 40: by Andrea (last edited Jun 12, 2017 09:05AM) (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Lauren wrote: "I'm up to chapter 17 (not including):

***SPOILER BELOW***

Cecelia has crossed the line for me. She has had ample opportunity to tell Edward the truth and still continues to lie even though she kn..."

Wow. You're way ahead of me. Could you pretty please use the spoiler tags though (type spoiler with a < in front and a > at the end (sorry, can't really type it cause that would result in a spoiler tag :D) add your text and at the end type the same but with a / in front of the s)? Not that you're giving anything big away, but I would still appreciate it :) Then I definitely can't read it unless I want to and don't inadvertently read anything while scrolling down the thread.

message 41: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Tammy wrote: "I started last night. I'm on Chapter 9. I agree about the secret keeping trope, I'm not a fan. I hope once she tells the truth it doesn't lead to them separating while he realizes he loves her-kind..."

Yes, let's hope so. I HATE that kind of trope. It's JQ, so I'm hoping she doesn't have to resort to that but...

message 42: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 430 comments Sure Andrea.
I thought this was an open discussion so I didn't use them, but I'll put it all in spoiler tags now.

message 43: by Priya (last edited Jun 12, 2017 10:17AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Andrea wrote: "Priya wrote: "I always loved her dedications to her Paul. Sometimes they are very funny. It is obvious sh..."

I think my favorite is "And also for Paul, even though when I went him for medical adv..."

Was that from Honoria Smythe- smith and Marcus's story? Now I feel like reading all her dedications to Paul.

message 44: by Lacey (new)

Lacey | 267 comments Andrea wrote: "Priya wrote: "I always loved her dedications to her Paul. Sometimes they are very funny. It is obvious sh..."

I think my favorite is "And also for Paul, even though when I went him for medical adv..."

Oh I remember this one! so funny :D

message 45: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Lauren wrote: "Sure Andrea.
I thought this was an open discussion so I didn't use them, but I'll put it all in spoiler tags now."

thank you!!! I really appreciate that :)

message 46: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Priya wrote: "Was that from Honoria Smythe- smith and Marcus's story? Now I feel like reading all her dedications to Paul ..."

Yes, that's the one :D

message 47: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 430 comments Alright I'm done and I enjoyed it overall despite the (view spoiler)

Quinn manages to (view spoiler)

I also loved the epilogue and I can't want for Andrew's book now.

message 48: by Mahak (new)

Mahak | 53 comments Done with it. Will post review link here later.

message 49: by Andrea (last edited Jun 12, 2017 03:50PM) (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Wow, you to flew right through it! I'm still on chapter 7....

I'll wait until I'm done to check out your spoilers, Lauren, and both of your reviews. Don't want to spoil it :)

message 50: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 635 comments Ok so I'm halfway through chapter 8 and I gotta say, I'm not loving her... I love the two together, their bantering and the way they lend each other strength is adorable. But I'm not a fan of (view spoiler). Also, I have a bad feeling she (view spoiler). But still, apart from the one really annoying thing, I'm really enjoying this. I love that Edward is yet another typical JQ hero; good and honorable, sweet, with a lovely playful side... I so prefer that kind to the brooding assholes 😁

« previous 1 3