Small and Independent Press Books discussion

Magnolias and Mayhem
This topic is about Magnolias and Mayhem
Mystery/crime fiction > Magnolias and Mayhem

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Werner | 248 comments Based in Johnson City, Tennessee, Overmountain Press is a small, family-owned press that specializes mostly in nonfiction about southern Appalachia. However, through their Silver Dagger imprint, for a number of years they've also been publishing mysteries set in the South. Their excellent anthology Magnolias and Mayhem is a collection of mostly original-for-this-volume short mystery stories in Southern settings and by Southern authors (a couple of them big names in the genre). Here's my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... . Highly recommended for all mystery fans!

message 2: by Shane (new)

Shane | 16 comments This really is the age of the small press. A retired publisher of a Big 6 company told me recently that "If there are 100 small publishers like you, you might restore the middle class to Canadian publishing." I found that ironic in an age when the middle class in Western society is an imperiled class.

Werner | 248 comments I'm sometimes inclined to think that the future of the publishing industry will belong to small presses, and that Big Publishing might go extinct like the dinosaurs. But I'm not really knowledgeable enough about industry trends for my predictions to inspire much confidence!